Photo
- - - - -

How Bad Were The UNC Losses in Hindsight Now?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

It was always gonna be a down year after losing all those guys to the NBA. Roy's system never looks good without a good PG to run it, and Paige has been hit or miss. I said as much before the season- this team will be as good as Paige is. He has shown flashes of brilliance but he is not there right now.

Plus Mcadoo is the only reliable big man right now (and Roy has a perplexing affinity for playing Hubert instead of the frosh), and this is the result. I actually really like the freshman right this year, but they will take some time to develop

The difference is your down years are NIT. Our down years is losing early in the big tournament.After a 28+ win season.

#32 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Not to mention losing Kyrie, Kyle, and Nolan wasn't a excuse for us last year.

#33 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

The difference is your down years are NIT. Our down years is losing early in the big tournament.After a 28+ win season.

Uh huh. Do you get a participation medal with that or do you have to buy one yourself?

#34 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Texas was a bad loss...no matter how you spin it. Wasn't the first bad game, but is a bad way to go into ACC play. I may have to readjust my expectations. Way to many turnovers and defense was lacking. We're not going to win a lot of games versus good teams with poor defense. We have to play good defense just to win games because our offense just isn't there...or rather, it's too spotty, no consistency from anyone.

#35 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

BTW...dook's down years are coming. K won't be there much longer.

#36 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Uh huh. Do you get a participation medal with that or do you have to buy one yourself?

Not knowing the Difference is a problem for UNC fans. NCAA way better then NIT.

Did that simplify it enough for you?

#37 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Not knowing the Difference is a problem for UNC fans. NCAA way better then NIT.

Did that simplify it enough for you?

Meh, is a 1st round exit in the tourney really worth that much? I guess its cool if you have a streak going, but I dont really care. You're either competing for a title or you're not

I'm more concerned with this team's development for next year and the year after

#38 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,321 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

BTW...dook's down years are coming. K won't be there much longer.

I don't think that's the question at hand, and most sane Duke fans agree with that statement. The main statement however deals with Coach K's down years vs. Roy's down years. Roy gets blamed for not being able to coach, not calling his timeouts, going to NITs yada yada. Duke gets caught by a VCU or Lehigh, but it's at least in the tourney.

K/Duke are consistently good to great. Roy/UNC has become a bit of a roller coaster, as it seems like they're either a favorite to win it all (05/07/08/09/11) or NIT bound and playing terrible (10/12). Obviously the down years are few and far between, but Roy has also been known to choke during the tourney (Georgetown game TH's soph. year and the Kansas game the following year).

#39 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

It's worth more then a NIT championship.

#40 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

It's worth more then a NIT championship.

Who cares? Even State fans arent satisfied with only reaching the tourney (see Herb Sendek)

#41 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Who cares? Even State fans arent satisfied with only reaching the tourney (see Herb Sendek)

Still would rather make the tourney then not.

No matter how your dumb logic tries to spin it. I rather make the tourney.

#42 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I don't think that's the question at hand, and most sane Duke fans agree with that statement. The main statement however deals with Coach K's down years vs. Roy's down years. Roy gets blamed for not being able to coach, not calling his timeouts, going to NITs yada yada. Duke gets caught by a VCU or Lehigh, but it's at least in the tourney.

K/Duke are consistently good to great. Roy/UNC has become a bit of a roller coaster, as it seems like they're either a favorite to win it all (05/07/08/09/11) or NIT bound and playing terrible (10/12). Obviously the down years are few and far between, but Roy has also been known to choke during the tourney (Georgetown game TH's soph. year and the Kansas game the following year).

Roy has never been a great in game coach, and his timeout usage is frankly baffling for a guy who has coached so long. But what is does well he is very good at- recruiting and developing players in his system. Problem is his system needs a good PG to run it- it looks great when Felton, Lawson, or Marshall are running the show, but quite different when you hand the reigns to Bobby Frasor, Larry Drew, or Dexter Strickland (and perhaps Paige, but I'm still holding out hope).

#43 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Still would rather make the tourney then not.

No matter how your dumb logic tries to spin it. I rather make the tourney.

lol I never disputed that K's crappy seasons are better than Roy's crappy seasons.

I just dont give a poo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com