Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports cities as awful as Charlotte.

27 posts in this topic

Posted

How many generations have those teams had to build a fan base? 4? We are just getting to our first with the kids who are now reaching adulthood.

This, Charlotte is a great sports town considering how young both these franchises are.

1 person likes this

Posted

It always makes me feel weird being in the first generation to grow up Panthers fans. I was born in 1991 so I started getting into football around the same time the Panthers came to be. I actually really like it though because at the moment we're all building tradition instead of just hopping on to the bandwagon like a lot of people do.

Posted

Charlotte has had a lot of success:

ACC championship is held here and (I think) one of the bowl games.

Panthers have had a lot of success in their young history with an incredible QB and HOF receiver. They are also a lot of fun to watch.

UNC-C has finished their football stadium and will start play next year. That program has plans to grow

Posted

Atlanta

Posted

Hard to think of any. Charlottes definitely one of the worst

Posted

How many generations have those teams had to build a fan base? 4? We are just getting to our first with the kids who are now reaching adulthood.

With due respect, I think that excuse is getting as old as the read option.

The Raiders were put together in 1960 as an AFL team that was nothing until it merged with the NFL in 1966. So they are maybe a late second generation team as I was 10 years old in '66.

Success will build a fan base quicker and without having to wait for generations, simple as that. The generational excuse is used when the franchise sucks. When the franchise exceeds expectations, that success is credited with building the fanbase. Can't have the convenience of excuses for either.

Posted

Not sure how Cleveland is an awful sports city. Terrible franchises but the fans, which IMO make a sport city are terrific most times.

Posted

Some of the same folks who use that generation excuse are the same ones who say the bobcats don't get support because of a poor product on the court, and they've been in existence a shorter time than the panthers. Well, if the Panthers put a better product on the field, the fans will come. As of now, Charlottes a crap sports town. Bandwagon City.

Posted

atlanta is by far the most disappointing.

Posted

San Diego. The chargers games are blacked out even when they are winning, and as a transplant town (military, people moving here for beach/weather) there are countless opposing fans at every game.

Also, the Padres are turrible.

Posted

San Diego. The chargers games are blacked out even when they are winning, and as a transplant town (military, people moving here for beach/weather) there are countless opposing fans at every game.

Also, the Padres are turrible.

But only recently have they gone that direction. I grew up in San Diego and when the Padres were perennial contenders through much of the 80's you couldn't get a ticket. Same with the Don Coryell/Dan Fouts/Kellen Winslow Chargers when they were also contenders during the same decade. Between baseball and football seasons, San Diego's Jack Murphy Stadium (as it was known then) was rocking Mission Valley all year long.

Posted

atlanta is by far the most disappointing.

This. Ever been to a Hawks playoff game? Even when the Braves were awesome back in the day their crowds were mediocre. I've also heard unconfirmed rumors that they have a hockey team too