Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ladypanther

Ban weapons of mass destruction.....NOW

614 posts in this topic

There is no simple solution to the issue of gun violence in our society. Realistically we will not stop the most determined criminals if they want to kill. These realities are not good excuses for failing to try to reduce gun violence and innocent deaths. When it comes to suicide the majority of attempts are conducted with firearms and two thirds of all successful suicides are accomplished with firearms. There are lessons we can learn from other countries and their attempts to limit gun violence and suicides.

EK: As I understand it, there’s a stronger link between guns and suicide than between guns and homicide. And one of the really interesting parts of your paper is your recounting of the Israeli military’s effort to cut suicides among soldiers by restricting access to guns.

JR: Yes, it’s very striking. In Israel, it used to be that all soldiers would take the guns home with them. Now they have to leave them on base. Over the years they’ve done this — it began, I think, in 2006 — there’s been a 60 percent decrease in suicide on weekends among IDS soldiers. And it did not correspond to an increase in weekday suicide. People think suicide is an impulse that exists and builds. This shows that doesn’t happen. The impulse to suicide is transitory. Someone with access to a gun at that moment may commit suicide, but if not, they may not.

http://www.washingto...toting-utopias/

Based on the transitory nature of suicidal tendencies, there is an excellent chance neither the Oregon Mall or the Sandy Hook shootings would have occurred if the legal owners of the weapons had properly secured them.

1 person likes this

This goes back to my earlier posts about Alcohol and involved deaths, specifically children deaths. Its legal to consume, but there are always people who will abuse the privilege and put others at risk. Ban alcohol? I think someone tried that and it failed. Same with guns. Some people are just gonna do stupid things, fact of life

so guns are addictive like a drug?

So now Hollywood can be referenced in the debate?

Samuel Jackson gets it.

http://www.belfastte...m-16251501.html

Samuel L. Jackson doesn't believe liberal gun regulations can be wholly blamed for violence in America.

My response to SLJ is, who does?

Better crafted gun regulations can be part of a broader overall effort to reduce violence and gun deaths in our society.

Read more: http://www.belfastte...l#ixzz2FYhL7Hoj

I'm going to google another Hollywood actor

“This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety ... While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.”

“I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home.”

“Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.”

Damn liberal Hollywood elites

panthro fyi reagen is no longer a conservative all you are doing is making their point

He's not? Stupid 2012

The 2nd amendment provides the right to bear arms to help prevent a tyrannical government from taking control of the people (i.e. Revolutionary War). It is not solely for the purpose of defending oneself from the potential of an attack. We don't like nukes, but the threat of nukes prevent others from using them themselves to attack the U.S. If other countries would get rid of their nuke supply then we could, but they wont, same principle applies to citizens as criminally insane people won't get rid of their weapons so neither can we. Imagine a situation where there is multiple attackers with assault rifles, and a short range low ammo pistol just can't get the job done.

Would you say we have a nationwide epidemic of planes crashing into towers and trucks being used as bombs?

Trying to use singular events to absolve blame from an instrument of death that is being used to kill people daily is like comparing apples to rhinoceros sh!t.

When 10,000 people start dying every year from kamikaze airplanes and truck explosions like they do gun violence we can have the conversation about whether planes and trucks are the issue.

I am more interested in resolving issues that actually exist.

In 2010 10,228 people died from alcohol-related car accidents. Applying this logic should we ban alcohol and car accidents too? I'm all for more thorough background checks and longer waiting periods unless authorized by a judge in unusual circumstances, but we should not ban a weapon. There are no numbers that tell how many lives are saved by them, only the numbers of those that aren't.

In 1982 21000 people died in alcohol related crashes.

Perhaps we could reduce gun violence by half as well with more laws, regulations,and awareness.

Great example!

1 person likes this

So, do you blame the airplane as well as the hijackers when they flew it into the Twin Towers in NYC on 9/11?

Do you blame the truck and McVeigh for the bombings in Oklahoma City?

If not, then your arguement of blaming a gun for what a person decided to do is a knee-jerk and rikiculous assertion.

Arguing for consistent checks and processes to buy guns in all states....can get my head around.

Banning a particular gun type....no.

Yes somewhat, that is why we have so much security around airports and why the cock pit is on lock down. (btw I think you mean bomb with McVeigh)

Guns are weapons made with the purpose to kill. We ban nukes because they cause so much damage, as well as missiles, rocket launchers and grenades. I think high max clips should be on that list as well as some guns.

1 person likes this