615 replies to this topic

#406 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,322 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Please stop using terrible, overused logical fallacies.

It's exactly what the lot of you have been saying

Guns are the reason murders are happening. Is this not what is being said? Get rid of guns and bad things won't happen ?

#407 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,223 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

It's exactly what the lot of you have been saying

Guns are the reason murders are happening. Is this not what is being said? Get rid of guns and bad things won't happen ?

Bad things will still happen. The fallacy in your thinking is that you believe crime will remain a constant with less guns.

stricter gun regulations = less murders.

#408 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,429 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I've seen that chart posted a few million times.
It doesn't answer my question.

It IMO provides skewed data with the framing of the information.

So you regard your opinion to be of higher consequence than the data.

#409 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Posted Image

But if CT has 'at least 1 Firearm Law Designed to Protect Children in Place', then how did this tragedy happen???

I do understand the need, but I'm simply not convinced the answer is as simple as added legislation...

#410 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,322 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Bad things will still happen. The fallacy in your thinking is that you believe crime will remain a constant with less guns.

stricter gun regulations = less murders.

I don't agree.

Not in this country at least.

People who follow laws don't murder people.

I guess I'm just a fuging idiot.

#411 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,223 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I don't agree.

I guess I'm just a fuging idiot.

fallacy =/= idiocy

#412 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,429 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

But if CT has 'at least 1 Firearm Law Designed to Protect Children in Place', then how did this tragedy happen???

I do understand the need, but I'm simply not convinced the answer is as simple as added legislation...

Because no law is perfect in it's scope and guns are still readily available there.

That doesn't change the fact that overall gun violence is found there at a lesser level overall.

#413 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,322 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Guys I'm sorry.
Your willingness to freely give away your rights absolutely terrifies me.

Del, Panthro, I've met you both and thing you are both pretty intelligent people, but your stances on this completely terrifies me.

#414 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

In regards to the cars vs guns comparison.

It somehow is easier to own a gun than a car.

I would be fine with treating gun ownership like car ownership.

Pay yearly taxes on them, require periodic training classes, and have them inspected and registered yearly.

I understand everyones rush to "do something". Nothing listed here would have prevented the tragedy.

You are going to have to give up on the quick fixes and get both sides to come up with a more comprehensive solution.

#415 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

I don't agree.

nobody breaks the law until they break the law. what madness is this?

#416 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,223 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I understand everyones rush to "do something". Nothing listed here would have prevented the tragedy.

You are going to have to give up on the quick fixes and get both sides to come up with a more comprehensive solution.

Well actually her not having a small arsenal would have prevented this tragedy but we are trying to avoid that lettuce patch

#417 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well actually her not having a small arsenal would have prevented this tragedy but we are trying to avoid that lettuce patch

what part of your "solutions package" would have prevented her from having what she had?

Nothing. She would have bought them, paid the taxes, had training and her son would have killed her, took the weapons and did the eventual damage.

But, you feel better, because you DID something. It had no effect on the outcome of the tragedy. That is what I mean by the quick fixes instead of real solutions.

Again, emotion is not a great tool for legislation.

#418 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Her having them registered, taxed and annually inspected wouldn't have resolved the issue either, though...

The only thing that STOPS it, would be zero access... Anything else just gets in the way, and the kid simply goes next door, or to a friend, or etc...

#419 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,577 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Her having them registered, taxed and annually inspected wouldn't have resolved the issue either, though...

The only thing that STOPS it, would be zero access... Anything else just gets in the way, and the kid simply goes next door, or to a friend, or etc...

I already made this same argument with Zod in the other thread...

There's no way anyone can prove that if his mom hadn't had those guns, that he wouldn't have gotten them from someone/somewhere else. I will concede that obviously it was easier for him, but to say that if she didn't have them, this wouldn't have happened is just conjecture.

#420 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,429 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Seat belts don't prevent 100% of driving related deaths. Therefore, don't wear a seat belt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.