#436 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Your arguement is terrible.

There is no such thing as personal accountability to a liberal. The guy did this....not the gun.

This guy did this WITH a gun.

Don't deny it.

#437 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

If this nation had an epidemic of people getting into cars with the sole purpose of killing people I would get behind banning cars or at least some cars or making it harder to own a car.

But as far as I know, most deaths by automobile not from people getting into cars with the direct intent of killing themselves or other people.

Also automobiles are considered essential for your livelihood and economic stability, guns are no longer essential for livelihood .

Hopefully the comparison of firearms to automobile deaths will be seared into the public consciousness. Why?

Because the federal government has required car manufactures to improve vehicle safety significantly over the last several decades. The result has been deaths from automobile accidents in relation to miles driven is at an historic low.

Self-driving automobiles are already in the test phase and are expected to be available to the general public in little over a decade. Once the "human factor" is reduced and eventually eliminated, death by automobile will be, for all intents and purposes, a thing of the past.

What will then be the leading cause of unnatural death? What will happen to America's tolerance for firearms killing tens of thousands of friends and family every year?

#438 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Another way to look at this issue is the US lost 50,000 soldiers in Vietnam before public outcry required our withdrawal from that conflict.

Can anyone imagine the American public standing still for 50,000 soldiers dying in a regional war today?

After withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan we will have lost less than 5,000, a tenth of our losses in Vietnam.

The American publics tolerance for death is decreasing at a rapid rate thanks to modern mass media.

Reasonable gun advocates would be wise to push for safety reforms or they will eventually find themselves on the wrong side of history.

#439 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Why isn't this plausible?

There. Everyone is happy. Done and done. Your 2nd amendment right is not taken away, the power and lethalness of the guns available is greatly reduced, the access to guns is more difficult, and mental health care is expanded.

Surely everyone could get on board with that right??

I actually own a DE .50, and of all the handguns I own, it would be the last one I'd grab if I needed to defend myself (for a number of reasons)...

The others are (IMHO) far more dangerous, while not as imposing, intimidating or fearful...

#440 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,896 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Once the "human factor" is reduced and eventually eliminated, death by automobile will be, for all intents and purposes, a thing of the past.

What will then be the leading cause of unnatural death?

Suicide surpassed automobile deaths last year to take over the #1 spot on that list. So it goes back to the issue of mental illness vs gun control.

So do you restrict guns and infringe on 2nd amendment rights to protect the public? Or do you restrict those with a deemed significant mental illness and infringe on their 14th amendment rights (and perhaps their 1st)?

#441 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I actually own a DE .50, and of all the handguns I own, it would be the last one I'd grab if I needed to defend myself (for a number of reasons)...

The others are (IMHO) far more dangerous, while not as imposing, intimidating or fearful...

I agree and that is sort of my point If I am going to concede that handguns are necessary as a form of self defense, the DE .50 and .350 magnum are actually not very good handguns for self defense.

But both are very powerful single shot guns.

If they aren't guns that are most effective for self defense, what is their purpose??

So get rid of them.

#442 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,516 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Why isn't this plausible?

There. Everyone is happy. Done and done. Your 2nd amendment right is not taken away, the power and lethalness of the guns available is greatly reduced, the access to guns is more difficult, and mental health care is expanded.

Surely everyone could get on board with that right??

Some yea.
Pooping right now. Will discuss later.

#443 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Your poop>better than the poo you'll type later

#444 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,516 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Your poop>better than the poo you'll type later>Poo I post

#445 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Some yea.
Pooping right now. Will discuss later.

Thanks for the heads up. Hope your poop goes well.

#446 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I agree and that is sort of my point If I am going to concede that handguns are necessary as a form of self defense, the DE .50 and .350 magnum are actually not very good handguns for self defense.

But both are very powerful single shot guns.

If they aren't guns that are most effective for self defense, what is their purpose??

So get rid of them.

Actually the DE is semi-automatic... It'll fire 8 times just as fast as I can pull the trigger... Now, it'll kick so bad I'm not gonna hit a damn thing after the first round, but it'll still fire as fast as I can manage to fire it... It's a fun gun to shoot, and has one hell of a fear factor (the muzzle blast and boom alone are enough to scare just about anyone out of my house), but all in all it's more effective in movies than it'll ever be in (my) home... I agree, it's really nothing more than a showpiece to me...

It's a scary looking gun I admit, but I also think a Chinese Crested is a scary looking dog, and they're pretty useless, too...

I'd be MUCH more afraid of some nutjob running around with a .22 Remington magnum rifle... It's not scary looking, and most people are quicker to dismiss a 'kid caliber' like a .22, but it would be a MUCH more effective and efficient killing tool than my DE .50...

#447 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

This guy did this WITH a gun.

Don't deny it.

Again....you are blaming the inanimate object rather than the person.

I had a childhood friend who was killed by a drunk driver WITH a car. I don't blame the car....I blame the idiot who was using the car.

#448 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I had a childhood friend who was killed by a drunk driver WITH a car. I don't blame the car....I blame the idiot who was using the car.

He's right.......

The guy did it...

#449 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

So when I say the guy did it with a gun you take that as me blaming only the object. I blame the guy and the guns assisted in making it simple quick carnage.

#450 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,764 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Your poop>better than the poo you'll type later

A poo with teeth that posts poo while taking a poop?

INCEPTION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com