#451 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,084 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

So when I say the guy did it with a gun you take that as me blaming only the object. I blame the guy and the guns assisted in making it simple quick carnage.

So, do you blame the airplane as well as the hijackers when they flew it into the Twin Towers in NYC on 9/11?

Do you blame the truck and McVeigh for the bombings in Oklahoma City?

If not, then your arguement of blaming a gun for what a person decided to do is a knee-jerk and rikiculous assertion.

Arguing for consistent checks and processes to buy guns in all states....can get my head around.

Banning a particular gun type....no.

#452 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Gun violence research: NRA and Congress blocked gun-control studies at CDC.

After the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, calls for gun-control legislation have begun. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said on NBC's Meet the Press that she plans to introduce a bill to ban assault weapons. Even West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, who calls himself a gun supporter, says he sees no reason for these types of weapons.

But as Congress considers new laws, the scientific research we need to craft the best policies is in short supply. This is by design.

In the 1990s, politicians backed by the NRA attacked researchers for publishing data on firearm research. For good measure, they also went after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for funding the research. According to the NRA, such science is not “legitimate.” To make sure federal agencies got the message, Rep. Jay Dickey (R-Ark.) sponsored an amendment that stripped $2.6 million from the CDC’s budget, the exact amount it had spent on firearms research the previous year.

But last summer, Dickey recanted. No longer in office, he wrote an editorial stating that “scientific research should be conducted into preventing firearm injuries and that ways to prevent firearm deaths can be found without encroaching on the rights of legitimate gun owners.”

To understand more about what we know and don’t know about the science of firearm violence, Slate contacted Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis Medical Center. For over 30 years, he has studied firearm violence and published more than 100 studies in the field.

To the article: http://www.slate.com...cdc.single.html

#453 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 13,894 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

So, do you blame the airplane as well as the hijackers when they flew it into the Twin Towers in NYC on 9/11?

Do you blame the truck and McVeigh for the bombings in Oklahoma City?

If not, then your arguement of blaming a gun for what a person decided to do is a knee-jerk and rikiculous assertion.

Arguing for consistent checks and processes to buy guns in all states....can get my head around.

Banning a particular gun type....no.

Would you say we have a nationwide epidemic of planes crashing into towers and trucks being used as bombs?

Trying to use singular events to absolve blame from an instrument of death that is being used to kill people daily is like comparing apples to rhinoceros sh!t.

When 10,000 people start dying every year from kamikaze airplanes and truck explosions like they do gun violence we can have the conversation about whether planes and trucks are the issue.

I am more interested in resolving issues that actually exist.

#454 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Do y

#455 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,084 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Would you say we have a nationwide epidemic of planes crashing into towers and trucks being used as bombs?

Trying to use singular events to absolve blame from an instrument of death that is being used to kill people daily is like comparing apples to rhinoceros sh!t.

When 10,000 people start dying every year from kamikaze airplanes and truck explosions like they do gun violence we can have the conversation about whether planes and trucks are the issue.

My arguement is the apples....yours is the rhinoceros sh!t.

You ban guns and the only people who will have them are the criminals....and that is a fact.

I have one gun for protection of my family and home. I am properly trained on it and it will only come out when it is needed. And believe me, I will use it if needed.

Someone breaks into my home, they are there for one reason....to harm me and my family. If they do, it will be the last decision and mistake they make.

Again, if you want to lobby for more consistent policies and regulations to purchase and own guns....training course, regristration, background checks, etc...then I can buy into that.

If you think you should ban them....no.

#456 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

so do you credit stricter regulations/laws on the fact they haven't used a plane successfully since?

"Oh it's a hassle but they aren't flying planes into a buildings anymore so I guess it evens out"

#457 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Suicide surpassed automobile deaths last year to take over the #1 spot on that list. So it goes back to the issue of mental illness vs gun control.

So do you restrict guns and infringe on 2nd amendment rights to protect the public? Or do you restrict those with a deemed significant mental illness and infringe on their 14th amendment rights (and perhaps their 1st)?

There is no simple solution to the issue of gun violence in our society. Realistically we will not stop the most determined criminals if they want to kill. These realities are not good excuses for failing to try to reduce gun violence and innocent deaths. When it comes to suicide the majority of attempts are conducted with firearms and two thirds of all successful suicides are accomplished with firearms. There are lessons we can learn from other countries and their attempts to limit gun violence and suicides.

EK: As I understand it, there’s a stronger link between guns and suicide than between guns and homicide. And one of the really interesting parts of your paper is your recounting of the Israeli military’s effort to cut suicides among soldiers by restricting access to guns.

JR: Yes, it’s very striking. In Israel, it used to be that all soldiers would take the guns home with them. Now they have to leave them on base. Over the years they’ve done this — it began, I think, in 2006 — there’s been a 60 percent decrease in suicide on weekends among IDS soldiers. And it did not correspond to an increase in weekday suicide. People think suicide is an impulse that exists and builds. This shows that doesn’t happen. The impulse to suicide is transitory. Someone with access to a gun at that moment may commit suicide, but if not, they may not.

http://www.washingto...toting-utopias/

#458 boostownsme

boostownsme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

This goes back to my earlier posts about Alcohol and involved deaths, specifically children deaths. Its legal to consume, but there are always people who will abuse the privilege and put others at risk. Ban alcohol? I think someone tried that and it failed. Same with guns. Some people are just gonna do stupid things, fact of life

#459 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

There is no simple solution to the issue of gun violence in our society. Realistically we will not stop the most determined criminals if they want to kill. These realities are not good excuses for failing to try to reduce gun violence and innocent deaths. When it comes to suicide the majority of attempts are conducted with firearms and two thirds of all successful suicides are accomplished with firearms. There are lessons we can learn from other countries and their attempts to limit gun violence and suicides.

EK: As I understand it, there’s a stronger link between guns and suicide than between guns and homicide. And one of the really interesting parts of your paper is your recounting of the Israeli military’s effort to cut suicides among soldiers by restricting access to guns.

JR: Yes, it’s very striking. In Israel, it used to be that all soldiers would take the guns home with them. Now they have to leave them on base. Over the years they’ve done this — it began, I think, in 2006 — there’s been a 60 percent decrease in suicide on weekends among IDS soldiers. And it did not correspond to an increase in weekday suicide. People think suicide is an impulse that exists and builds. This shows that doesn’t happen. The impulse to suicide is transitory. Someone with access to a gun at that moment may commit suicide, but if not, they may not.

http://www.washingto...toting-utopias/

Based on the transitory nature of suicidal tendencies, there is an excellent chance neither the Oregon Mall or the Sandy Hook shootings would have occurred if the legal owners of the weapons had properly secured them.

#460 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

This goes back to my earlier posts about Alcohol and involved deaths, specifically children deaths. Its legal to consume, but there are always people who will abuse the privilege and put others at risk. Ban alcohol? I think someone tried that and it failed. Same with guns. Some people are just gonna do stupid things, fact of life

so guns are addictive like a drug?

#461 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Samuel Jackson gets it.

http://www.belfastte...m-16251501.html

#462 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

So now Hollywood can be referenced in the debate?

#463 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Samuel Jackson gets it.

http://www.belfastte...m-16251501.html

Samuel L. Jackson doesn't believe liberal gun regulations can be wholly blamed for violence in America.

My response to SLJ is, who does?

Better crafted gun regulations can be part of a broader overall effort to reduce violence and gun deaths in our society.

Read more: http://www.belfastte...l#ixzz2FYhL7Hoj

#464 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

I'm going to google another Hollywood actor

“This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety ... While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.”

“I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home.”

“Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.”

Damn liberal Hollywood elites

#465 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,391 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

panthro fyi reagen is no longer a conservative all you are doing is making their point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.