• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Panther

Who was Adam Lanza's Doctor?

Isn't it more likely a videogame habit is a symptom rather than a cause? Who would think someone with anti social and violent tendencies would gravitate towards something that let them indulge those desires? No, let's make far flung accusations about an entertainment product played by hundreds of millions of people because a literal handful turned out to be psychotic.

I personally don't think video games are any more noxious than say, paintball, "playing war" or any number of other activities that a lot of people do.

When I was aged 6 or 7 to about 15 we used to run around in the woods pretending to shoot machine guns at each other... we'd have tournaments and do it all day... never once did I think  "hey, I'd love to really shoot someone"  My mind just isn't bent that way, nor are most people's.

It's not the activity it's the person.  

He may have played video games because he enjoyed them, or to hone his skills at killing people, who knows?  It's the underlying mental health issues that are the causes of these things... not how many hours he spent on an Xbox playing Call of Duty.

video games are a common denominator in many of these shootings

As of November 11, 2011, the Call of Duty series has sold over 100 million copies.[1] As of March 31, 2012 there are 40 million monthly active players across all of the Call of Duty titles, with 10 million Call of Duty: Elite users and 2 million paying annual members. Over 1.6 billion hours of online gameplay have been logged Modern Warfare 3 since its 2011 release.

Dude, video games are a common denominator in everyday life for MILLIONS of people.

If you think the games led this guy to do this I can't help you.  He was fuged up in the head.

The American public has become so lazy they need to have a single source of blame for all tragedies similar to this which occur.

In the case of Adam Lanza, let's simply lay it all at the feet of the pharmaceutical companies rather than recognize a series of circumstances that likely all manifested themselves in the horrific outcome:

* Mom knew the kid was suffering from either Arsperger's or a form of autism as evidenced by the books in the home

* In spite of this fact, Mom was buying her kid guns and allowed him to maintain his own gun safe in his room

* At age 6 the kid was diagnosed with a sensory integration disorder, meaning he didn't like to be touched, could not handle the hustle and bustle of a school campus and, in the most extreme cases, the patient cannot even bear to wear clothes.

* Mom allowed the kid to isolate himself, likely because he felt safe as long as he was secluded and alone, with his video games, gun collection and what seemed to be an obsession with reading about mass killings.

So yeah, rather than have to come to grips with all of those things, let's just simply blame the pharmaceutical companies and the drugs.

And in a society that is more than happy to tag a kid as "hyperactive" or suffering from ADHD just because, well, just because they're being a kid and the adults who are supposedly responsible for him don't want to make the effort- just medicate him. Anyone ever think about why ADHD is called the "American Disease" in Europe? Why is the United States the only country who finds t so friggin' easy to medicate our kids rather than parent them? I'm 57 years old and I never heard of ADHD until I was well into my 30's. I certainly knew no one growing up in Southern California and attending a high school of 3000 students who displayed any characteristics of a mentally unstable kid. We were all kids and we were all allowed to be kids. I've always been pretty quick-witted with the repartee and if I smart-assed a teacher, I took the heat for it. My parents certainly did not haul my butt to the doctor's office for a prescription of Ritalin at the first sign of being a smartass.

As long as parents don't want to parent; as long as we allow teachers to diagnose our children and tell the parents the kid needs to be medicated; as long as we continue to bear forth children into this world and immediately relinquish our parenting duties to school teachers, day care workers, baby-sitters and doctors, big pharma will own our minds, own our physcial well-being and own our lives. 

Guys, don't get in a wad.

When you read stuff about shooters, a lot of them have certain tendancies.  I am not blaming video games, just saying that they are one of the common denominators with these guys.

Guys, don't get in a wad.

When you read stuff about shooters, a lot of them have certain tendancies.  I am not blaming video games, just saying that they are one of the common denominators with these guys.

When you say it like that though the implication is that it's a contributing factor.

Yeah, he was fugged in the head. But you cannot deny the pattern that has developed from each of these cases. Yes, millions of americans play video games. Just as millions of americans own guns. But each of these cases involves a person who is passionately obsessed with the alter ego, and persona that these games provide. people immediately go to gun-control when these issues occur. But never turn to what motivates them. Ecspecially, when they all seem to have this one thing in common. They aren't all playing the same game. But they are all fixed on an escape from reality. Adam Lanza even had a chart with all the mass shootings from the last twenty years. On that chart he ranked them by kills, weapons, location, and wether they took thier own lives or killed by authoritarians. On that chart he had the guy from vt listed as the high score. When he left home that morning, he penned himself on the top as having the high score. That clearly indicates that he thought killing was a game. And he was competeing with the previous lunatics. So we can all agree that these guys are fugged in the head. But what is more likely?

That the gun whispered in their ear 1 morning and said " lets go kill everyone you don't like." Or that some misfit who disconnected from reality (over an extensive period of time) because he couldn't find himself in society had become addicted to an alternate reality in which he is the baddest mutherfugger to ever live? And then decided to go reveal himself to all those who had shunned him. The patterns are not hard to see. Maybe the parents should've paid better attention to these cries for help? But regardless, there is clearly something here worth investigating.

When you say it like that though the implication is that it's a contributing factor.

I can see that, just have a very busy day here today and cannot go into detail a lot, not much time at all.

What I meant is that with every one of these shootings, the check everything from prescription drugs, to online habits, to video games to associations, work histories and a million other things.

Video games are part of the profile as are prescription meds.  did not mean to imply that we had 40 million folks that needed to be put on a watch list or anything, just part of the profile.  Most of these nutjobs, as has been brought up here, have been white.  This one is a little out of character from the others.

hindsight being what it is. it seems its a cocktail of stuff in cases like this.

barely held together mentally at a young age. semi to full blown loner. home issues usually due to divorce. detached from reality to some degree and plays copious amounts of video games.

sprinkle in meds with God knows what kind of side effects and easy access or at least very familiar with guns and you get an American psychopath.

I'll add in RE: Anti depressants

They don't do anything, good or bad. The reason 90% of the guys are on them is because they needed help, and obviously didn't get it. It's a scam, not the cause of psychos.