Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Panther

Who was Adam Lanza's Doctor?

Could be.

Might not.

Before we had these drugs we had psychos killing many people.

China has bozos knifing children and I'm pretty sure none of them have front line antipsychotic meds, ADHD drugs, or antidepressant drugs.

I guess what i am saying is...it might be intellectually lazy to lay all of this on the drugs, tho i do agree the prime issue is indeed mental health, rather than just gunz gunz gunz.

Despite every indication that Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis was on SSRI drugs that have been linked to dozens of previous mass shootings, the mainstream media has once again avoided all discussion of the issue, preferring instead to blame the tragedy on a non-existent AR-15 that the gunman didn’t even use.

http://www.infowars.com/media-buries-psychiatric-drug-connection-to-navy-shooter/

I find the common denomenator between these psycos is their obsession with online shoot em' up games. Most of these cases(even back to columbine) revealed an obsessive behavioral pattern centered around these games. Some of these guys were documenting over 16 hours a day logged into these combat simulators. Maybe there really is some sort of corillation between mental disabilities and excessive gaming? These guys clearly have a disconnect from reality. Which they seem to fill with the online persona they develop. Then decide to act upon in real life. I'm not saying we should ever ban anything. But there does seem to be a need for some research here. And before anybody goes ranting on me about how harmless games are. Ask this: " if we were to ban firearms from society? Would we then ban them from the games and movies?

Alexis was able to hold down a military installation with a shotgun and 2 handguns? Against trained armed gaurds? Granted these men have excessive training. But they do not have 16 hours a day, 7 days a week to rehearse urban commando warfare tactics. Now, I find it hard to believe that Alexis was that lucky. Instead, I believe that the fragile nature of his mental state, coupled with excessive combat scenarios lead to a trained killer. And who knows? Maybe the meds helped him remain in his fantasmal state of being?

There may be a correlation, but what percentage of young men play violent video games? I bet it is a big number.

I agree 100%. thats why I say I wouldn't want to ban them. But how many of those guys spend 16 hrs 7 days a week doing it? I would suggest that this is an indication of the disconnect. Not to be mean, but they clearly have no life at that point. Just seems to me that this is the rabbithole we need to explore, if nothing else as a means to identify these misfits. Could change thier lives while saving others?

Ever listen/watch a drug commercial?  They are sometimes worse than those radio car ads that have the lightning speed reader rattling off qualifications.  Drug companies put those potential side effects for liability sake.  Chantix...the smoking cessation drug is to blame for people going crazy too...nevermind the fact the addictive nature of the patient with/without the drug might be an issue. 

Isn't it more likely a videogame habit is a symptom rather than a cause? Who would think someone with anti social and violent tendencies would gravitate towards something that let them indulge those desires? No, let's make far flung accusations about an entertainment product played by hundreds of millions of people because a literal handful turned out to be psychotic.

I personally don't think video games are any more noxious than say, paintball, "playing war" or any number of other activities that a lot of people do.

When I was aged 6 or 7 to about 15 we used to run around in the woods pretending to shoot machine guns at each other... we'd have tournaments and do it all day... never once did I think  "hey, I'd love to really shoot someone"  My mind just isn't bent that way, nor are most people's.

It's not the activity it's the person.  

He may have played video games because he enjoyed them, or to hone his skills at killing people, who knows?  It's the underlying mental health issues that are the causes of these things... not how many hours he spent on an Xbox playing Call of Duty.

video games are a common denominator in many of these shootings

As of November 11, 2011, the Call of Duty series has sold over 100 million copies.[1] As of March 31, 2012 there are 40 million monthly active players across all of the Call of Duty titles, with 10 million Call of Duty: Elite users and 2 million paying annual members. Over 1.6 billion hours of online gameplay have been logged Modern Warfare 3 since its 2011 release.

Dude, video games are a common denominator in everyday life for MILLIONS of people.

If you think the games led this guy to do this I can't help you.  He was fuged up in the head.

The American public has become so lazy they need to have a single source of blame for all tragedies similar to this which occur.

In the case of Adam Lanza, let's simply lay it all at the feet of the pharmaceutical companies rather than recognize a series of circumstances that likely all manifested themselves in the horrific outcome:

* Mom knew the kid was suffering from either Arsperger's or a form of autism as evidenced by the books in the home

* In spite of this fact, Mom was buying her kid guns and allowed him to maintain his own gun safe in his room

* At age 6 the kid was diagnosed with a sensory integration disorder, meaning he didn't like to be touched, could not handle the hustle and bustle of a school campus and, in the most extreme cases, the patient cannot even bear to wear clothes.

* Mom allowed the kid to isolate himself, likely because he felt safe as long as he was secluded and alone, with his video games, gun collection and what seemed to be an obsession with reading about mass killings.

So yeah, rather than have to come to grips with all of those things, let's just simply blame the pharmaceutical companies and the drugs.

And in a society that is more than happy to tag a kid as "hyperactive" or suffering from ADHD just because, well, just because they're being a kid and the adults who are supposedly responsible for him don't want to make the effort- just medicate him. Anyone ever think about why ADHD is called the "American Disease" in Europe? Why is the United States the only country who finds t so friggin' easy to medicate our kids rather than parent them? I'm 57 years old and I never heard of ADHD until I was well into my 30's. I certainly knew no one growing up in Southern California and attending a high school of 3000 students who displayed any characteristics of a mentally unstable kid. We were all kids and we were all allowed to be kids. I've always been pretty quick-witted with the repartee and if I smart-assed a teacher, I took the heat for it. My parents certainly did not haul my butt to the doctor's office for a prescription of Ritalin at the first sign of being a smartass.

As long as parents don't want to parent; as long as we allow teachers to diagnose our children and tell the parents the kid needs to be medicated; as long as we continue to bear forth children into this world and immediately relinquish our parenting duties to school teachers, day care workers, baby-sitters and doctors, big pharma will own our minds, own our physcial well-being and own our lives.