200 replies to this topic

#76 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

I really don't think Rivera will be here next year, but Chud sure as hell better not be. Chud sucks. Horribly.

I think I'd be okay with McDermott staying, depending on what kind of defense we plan on using going forward.

#77 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I really don't think Rivera will be here next year, but Chud sure as hell better not be. Chud sucks. Horribly.

I think I'd be okay with McDermott staying, depending on what kind of defense we plan on using going forward.

I seriously LOL'd when I read your post, it's sooo funny because it's soooo clueless

#78 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

I seriously LOL'd when I read your post, it's sooo funny because it's soooo clueless

It's clueless because of what? You assume that Rivera is actually the one running the defense? You believe that it's Rivera's work that is getting the defensive line to play so well, as opposed to McDermott?

No, I understand.

Do I know how much that Rivera has to do with the defense? No, I don't. But, I believe that this is, in essence, McDermott's defense. (Or Washington's, but that's not the point.)

#79 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,298 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Rolls eyes

That's exactly what I do every time you post

#80 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,558 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

He lost to the Chiefs and beat a Chargers team that gave up on the season 5 weeks ago

You might wanna check last week's scoreboard.

#81 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Also take in account how many key injuries we have, not making any excuses. Just getting it done.

#82 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

It's clueless because of what? You assume that Rivera is actually the one running the defense? You believe that it's Rivera's work that is getting the defensive line to play so well, as opposed to McDermott?

No, I understand.

Do I know how much that Rivera has to do with the defense? No, I don't. But, I believe that this is, in essence, McDermott's defense. (Or Washington's, but that's not the point.)

You have in one hand you have the best DC in the NFL of the last 10 years(one of the bigger reasons he got the Job here)

And in the other you have McDermott who was fired after 1 season in Philly.

And who do you think has the bigger overall impact on the Defense?

The Guy that got fired for not getting the Job done after 1 season in Philly.

makes perfect sense?

Not at all

Not saying McDermott bears no responsibility, but if you don't think Rivera is Coaching the guy up you're out of your mind.

#83 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm feeling Rivera will be here. It just seems like the team is playing hard and there is such little talk outside of the fans about Rivera being replaced.

#84 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,653 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I think Cam staying on fire is the only thing that could save Rivera.

JR views Cam as his ticket. New scheme means set back next year to a degree. If Cam finishes at this pace Rivera might get one more shot....just so Cam can continue in the same offense

#85 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,558 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Radio guys interviewed Tolbert post game. He said he hopes the staff is all back next year.

#86 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

We just won consecutive games for the first time since last December.

We should stick with Rivera. By 2024 we'll be stringing together 4 or 5.

#87 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

You have in one hand you have the best DC in the NFL of the last 10 years(one of the bigger reasons he got the Job here)

And in the other you have McDermott who was fired after 1 season in Philly.

And who do you think has the bigger overall impact on the Defense?

The Guy that got fired for not getting the Job done after 1 season in Philly.

makes perfect sense?

Not at all

Not saying McDermott bears no responsibility, but if you don't think Rivera is Coaching the guy up you're out of your mind.

You're judging different situations. Just because a guy was fired after one season as the DC (even though he was actually with the Eagles, studying under Jim Johnson for 11 years) doesn't mean that he was a terrible DC. He was scapegoated, for not being Jim Johnson (anyone in that situation would've been fired, most likely).

However, you have Rivera who was fired after two seasons in Chicago, went to have a very good defense in San Diego. However, that style defense and this style defense were completely different. Most notably, Rivera's San Diego defense was a pass-rushing, 34 defense, much like the one they still are using. McDermott's defense being a more pulled back, front four pass rushing (though, admittedly, the Eagles blitzed more while McD was there) that you are seeing today.

Also, you've obviously not been to a Panthers' training camp/practice, or else you would see who's coaching the defense up. Rivera is doing his Head Coach duties, which is respectable, but McDermott is the one fired up, screaming at the defensive players, telling them when and where to be.

Sorry you think my post was "uninformed". Maybe next time you should use that term a little less loosely.

#88 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

It will come down to the next two games and what coaches ate available and interested. If he continues winning and no other proven head coaches are available, he'll probably be back.

My concern is the same as everyone else's--it is easier to win when nothing is on the line.

#89 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,777 posts

Doc Holiday falling into the "what have you done for me lately" trap.

Let me know when a Rivera led team wins a meaningful football team. Hell, let me know when a Rivera led team is simply playing in a meaningful football game. We're already out of the picture and afterthoughts before a meaningful game takes place.

#90 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,860 posts

Everyone loved Chud last year. He did some dumb stuff early this season and now he's worse than Jeff Davidson. The reality is Chud is ok. He can be great if he uses some common sense. Sometimes he can't see the forest from the trees. Rivera made some horrid game management decisions that may not be correctable. It could just be flawed logic on his part. I do give Rivera credit for the improvements on D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com