200 replies to this topic

#91 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Radio guys interviewed Tolbert post game. He said he hopes the staff is all back next year.

Of course he does, it's mainly the San Diego coaches.

I bet if you asked a Pepsi exec what his favorite soda is, it definitely wouldn't be Coca-Cola.

#92 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

You have in one hand you have the best DC in the NFL of the last 10 years

How exactly did dick lebeau get brought into this conversation?

#93 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,435 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

The Chiefs would have beaten the Chargers today. Playing their #3 and #4 RBs, O-line is in worse shape than Carolina's... did anyone see Rivers on the sidelines after the last fumble? The Chargers gave up on the game before halftime.

Using this game to measure anything or compare anything is just ignorant. Rivera should be gone as should the OC. The Panthers are building a resume with a lot of young, hungry guys trying to keep their jobs.

The Panthers beat a team that is already thinking about the off-season and what a new GM and coach will bring next season. Yippee! Don't try to over analyze it because there's nothing to it.

#94 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Now the one thing that may be more important than anything is the Head Coach/Quarterback relationship. We don't know but I feel like Rivera is an easy guy to get along with. He's a player's coach. He has a Super Bowl ring. If you bring in a whacko like Gruden, McDaniels, or Parcells (not saying those guys just saying coaches LIKE them) could it really damage Cam long term? Personally, I feel like Cam is still way ahead of schedule in his development. Even if Colin Cowherd thinks he's a bust.

#95 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

The Chiefs would have beaten the Chargers today. Playing their #3 and #4 RBs, O-line is in worse shape than Carolina's... did anyone see Rivers on the sidelines after the last fumble? The Chargers gave up on the game before halftime.

Using this game to measure anything or compare anything is just ignorant. Rivera should be gone as should the OC. The Panthers are building a resume with a lot of young, hungry guys trying to keep their jobs.

The Panthers beat a team that is already thinking about the off-season and what a new GM and coach will bring next season. Yippee! Don't try to over analyze it because there's nothing to it.

That's exactly how I feel about this situation. Even looking back to last week, we faced a team that is really just getting ready for the playoffs, not trying to play as hard as they can, etc. Judging this season, or Rivera's whole resume, by these last few games would be a mistake.

#96 emhoward

emhoward

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

To me it literally, and I mean literally depends on the Saints game. Beat the saints I say keep him, lose to the saints I say dump him. The saints smashed the Bucs today, they are still playing hard, beat that team then Rivera deserves one more shot to me.

Lose and your gone. Last year we came into the last game against them on a hot streak and got it handed to us, I want Rivera to show me he's learned something from that.

#97 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,144 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Of course he does, it's mainly the San Diego coaches.

I bet if you asked a Pepsi exec what his favorite soda is, it definitely wouldn't be Coca-Cola.

I seriously doubt he's the only player who'd say that.

The team is still playing hard for Rivera even though the season is lost. Whether you like it or not, Richardson and the new GM will take that into account when deciding what to do about next year.

#98 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,144 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Remind me. Who did that team that's already thinking about the offseason play last week?

#99 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

A gentle reminder that he'd still have Haruki Nakamura roaming (lol) the backfield if not for injury.

#100 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,435 posts

"Now the one thing that may be more important than anything is the Head Coach/Quarterback relationship."
I have to respectfully disagree with you there. I think Cam's most important relationship on the staff is with Mike Shula.

#101 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,909 posts

You're judging different situations. Just because a guy was fired after one season as the DC (even though he was actually with the Eagles, studying under Jim Johnson for 11 years) doesn't mean that he was a terrible DC. He was scapegoated, for not being Jim Johnson (anyone in that situation would've been fired, most likely).

However, you have Rivera who was fired after two seasons in Chicago, went to have a very good defense in San Diego. However, that style defense and this style defense were completely different. Most notably, Rivera's San Diego defense was a pass-rushing, 34 defense, much like the one they still are using. McDermott's defense being a more pulled back, front four pass rushing (though, admittedly, the Eagles blitzed more while McD was there) that you are seeing today.

Also, you've obviously not been to a Panthers' training camp/practice, or else you would see who's coaching the defense up. Rivera is doing his Head Coach duties, which is respectable, but McDermott is the one fired up, screaming at the defensive players, telling them when and where to be.

Sorry you think my post was "uninformed". Maybe next time you should use that term a little less loosely.

LoL, you are thinking more now but still funny.

Yeah, what we see during gamedays and practices are completely how teams are coached and nothing ever happens the other 6 days a week, they don't have game plan meetings with coaches and players, Rivera never gives his input on what he thinks about that weeks game plan.

Rivera was let go by the Bears because they were tired of having him go through the Head Coach search rounds every offseason always wondering when they were going to have to replace him.

(Remember how long we were wondering if we were going to have to replace Chud this year?)

You can argue McDermontt is the better defensive coach all you want, but it ain't gonna make me think it isn't funny as hell.

#102 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I seriously doubt he's the only player who'd say that.

The team is still playing hard for Rivera even though the season is lost. Whether you like it or not, Richardson and the new GM will take that into account when deciding what to do about next year.

No, I absolutely agree. And Rivera should be looked at to continue with the job. But Tolbert saying the coaching staff should stay isn't newsworthy. It's actually not even worth asking him the question.

#103 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Remind me. Who did that team that's already thinking about the offseason play last week?

A very average football team on any given Sunday.

#104 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

"Now the one thing that may be more important than anything is the Head Coach/Quarterback relationship."
I have to respectfully disagree with you there. I think Cam's most important relationship on the staff is with Mike Shula.

I couldn't agree more. Shula is the guy we have to retain.

#105 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Also, just so nobody thinks I'm one of the "why we stop throwing?!?! fu riveria!!!" posters when we were up by a couple of thousand points, I thought he did an outstanding job today. The Chargers made it easy for him, but yeah, a good game for Ron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com