67 replies to this topic

#46 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,571 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

I think we need to find a competent replacement for silatolu, I don't want to go on another season hoping like I did with Fua and McClain. Fua is a back up and so is Silatolu. At least bring he another athletic body to up the ante so he won't feel like he owns the position.

It takes a long time for Offensive linemen to make the jump, even first round picks will struggle with the jump to the NFL and that's coming from a Major conference and school. This kid is making the jump from basically community college to the NFL and has performed well in the past few games. He's shown flashes of why he was regarded as the first or second rated OG in the draft during the season as well.

#47 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

It takes a long time for Offensive linemen to make the jump, even first round picks will struggle with the jump to the NFL and that's coming from a Major conference and school. This kid is making the jump from basically community college to the NFL and has performed well in the past few games. He's shown flashes of why he was regarded as the first or second rated OG in the draft during the season as well.

If you are saying he is a project, then we don't have that type of time.

#48 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Bell has to move to gaurd next season.

LT- Draft or Free agent
LG- Bell
C-Kalil
RG-Silatolu
RT-Gross

then draft another tackle in the next draft to eventually take over for Gross

Not sure if anyone has commented on this because I am halfway through reading the board, but Bell was tried at RG agianst the Cowboys, I think. Not sure why that experiment did not work. Was it that Williams sucked at RT, or that Bell sucked at RG?

#49 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

All players are. Kalil struggled as a rookie when they tried him at G and then again as a second-year center. During Gross' rookie season, I remember everyone thought we drafted a RT ninth overall. Wharton struggled at T before being moved inside.

Those are three of our most successful offensive linemen, all coming from big schools. First, second, and third rounders, respectively.

Silatolu came from Midwestern Misouri Tech Taxidermist College.

He is doing fine.

#50 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I haven't seen him look totally lost lately or get badly beaten by a stunt.

#51 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

All players are. Kalil struggled as a rookie when they tried him at G and then again as a second-year center. During Gross' rookie season, I remember everyone thought we drafted a RT ninth overall. Wharton struggled at T before being moved inside.

Those are three of our most successful offensive linemen, all coming from big schools. First, second, and third rounders, respectively.

Silatolu came from Midwestern Misouri Tech Taxidermist College.

He is doing fine.

This.

Mr. Meanie looks better than early on. Which by definition, means he's progressed. I bet by this time next year, he'll be one of our better lineman.

BTW. Who doesn't expect rookie Olinemen to struggle. They've got to learn how to block the best Dline in the sport...it isn't like college!

#52 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Not sure if anyone has commented on this because I am halfway through reading the board, but Bell was tried at RG agianst the Cowboys, I think. Not sure why that experiment did not work. Was it that Williams sucked at RT, or that Bell sucked at RG?

Bell doesn't have the footwork to play guard. His movement is more lateral. He also plays upright, instead of low to gain leverage. Bells a good lineman, but is far better suited to play RT. Its just his natural position.

#53 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

If Otah, wasn't injury prone when he was here, he did an awesome job, and I guess that spoiled me personally.Posted Image

#54 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,622 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

If Otah, wasn't injury prone when he was here, he did an awesome job, and I guess that spoiled me personally.Posted Image

He could have been a pro bowl OT.I just do not think he had the will to play through injuries and rehab.If he would have had 1/2 of TDavis determination he would be pro bowl every year

#55 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

I haven't seen him look totally lost lately or get badly beaten by a stunt.

Nevermind... re-watching the Chargers game, Amini gave up a sack and several pressures on stunts.

#56 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,622 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Nevermind... re-watching the Chargers game, Amini gave up a sack and several pressures on stunts.

an/ hope for him playing to his draft hype?Slow learner from small schools are not normally 2nd round picks unless he has super human strength and quickness

#57 skarbar001

skarbar001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Great idea, lets give up on a first year player that is making the move from left tackle in a division II school to guard in the NFL. I mean look how that turned out for Jahri Evans... :rolleyes:

#58 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Great idea, lets give up on a first year player that is making the move from left tackle in a division II school to guard in the NFL. I mean look how that turned out for Jahri Evans... :rolleyes:

Ok, well yeah, just keep him in the game and help protect Cam on his watch. No thanks! I don't want him starting until he is capable. The way things are going, we don't have time for projects and if Rivera manages to stick around, he would be smart not to wait on a project. Bring in someone that is capable of making an impact from the start.

We don't have to give up on him, just bring in some competition.Posted Image

#59 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

I was just about to ask you to watch the SD game again. His mistakes aren't physical, they're mental. And don't forget he's not used to playing inside. He was a tackle in college. I'm not sure I wouldn't try him out there instead.

#60 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

an/ hope for him playing to his draft hype?Slow learner from small schools are not normally 2nd round picks unless he has super human strength and quickness

He's got the physical tools, it's a mental thing.

Playing guard is actually much more difficult then playing tackle from a mental standpoint. A guard has several split-second decisions to make at the snap and while he has improved a lot since the start of the season, he's still got a ways to go.

In the meantime, you can bet that teams are going to continue coming at him with all kinds of stunts to confuse him. The stunt he gave up a sack on was a delayed stunt, he went to help Byers inside and the minute he (over) committed to that Garay stunted and had a clear path to the QB.

Earlier in the season, Amini was looking lost in pass pro, now he's been coached up to work inside-out (always better to get beat outside) and to commit to a block. I can recall several times earlier in the season when stunts were run in front of him and he was beat on both sides because he was indecisive. Now he needs to learn not to over commit to his blocks so he can make adjustments as the play unfolds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com