• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Jonathan Jones@jjones9

Rivera said his fate rests with Richardson, not new GM. "We'll see in 2 weeks."

Collapse
If this is the case then their is no need for a GM.

#2 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I would think the owner would have a lot of say in the HC being fired or not, with or without a GM

I'm so torn as to whether he should go or not

#3 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,643 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Not really, all it means is JR will tell the prospective GM the first thing he needs to do is bring along a head coach, because the previous will be gone by the time he gets here.

#4 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,268 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've said this before: new GM != new coaching staffs. The Giants and Eagles both changes GMs without changing coaches.

#5 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Also the Bears hired a new GM (Phil Emery) last offseason, but retained Lovie Smith (although given a second consecutive season-ending slide, Lovie might be canned after this year).

#6 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 868 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

We still don't know who the new GM will be so there's no guarantees on how he will determine Rivera's fate, especially if he wins out the rest of the season.

Wasn't it JR that said he needed to see an upward trend from Rivera? Sounds like the HC evaluation will be up to him in the end all.

#7 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Welcome back Rivera :(

#8 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,650 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I still think Rivera is done. Too many mistakes he has made. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we gave him one more shot. The guy has had some terrible luck these first two seasons, and the team has not quit on him.

What if we brought in Lovie Smith as DC and Norv Turner as OC and kept Rivera. Superbwls?

#9 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 868 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

I still think Rivera is done. Too many mistakes he has made. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we gave him one more shot. The guy has had some terrible luck these first two seasons, and the team has not quit on him.

What if we brought in Lovie Smith as DC and Norv Turner as OC and kept Rivera. Superbwls?

That would be hilarious. Rivera's last two superiors now his subordinates. That would be interesting...

#10 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,124 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

This quote just sums up everything for me about Rivera.

I love the Panthers. I wish they had played well early on. But, here's the truth. It happens in any sport. When the pressure is off everyone plays better. And then everyone also says, "see, this is really what we're capable of." Well, of course you are. But, the reason you didn't play like that the first part of the season is the pressure. You blew it. You dropped passes. Couldn't get first downs. Actually, Ron, you didn't go for it on 4th down on numerous occasions. Now, all of a sudden you're going for it. The reason: no pressure. What do you have to lose? The problem is you didn't play like that early enough. And in January. You'll be on your couch just like last year. Please do not use these final games Mr. Richardson as the measuring stick for who your future coach will be. It's easy to coach and make decisions when they don't matter.

#11 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

I've said this before: new GM != new coaching staffs. The Giants and Eagles both changes GMs without changing coaches.

Both of those situations were nothing like the situation in Carolina
First off both of those GMs left of their own accord
1 Accorsi retired and Heckert left to take the GM position in cleveland (most likely because he was truly only and advisor to Andy Reid in Philly not a full GM)

2 Both of the coaches in the example had been to the playoffs 2 years in a row at the point of the new GM being hired

3 The GM in Philly likely doesn't have the authority to fire the HC as Andy reid is the executive vice president of football operations in philly and has the final say on all football related moves (he is the GM for all intents and purposes and the GM in title is his assistant)

#12 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,268 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Both of those situations were nothing like the situation in Carolina
First off both of those GMs left of their own accord
1 Accorsi retired and Heckert left to take the GM position in cleveland (most likely because he was truly only and advisor to Andy Reid in Philly not a full GM)

2 Both of the coaches in the example had been to the playoffs 2 years in a row at the point of the new GM being hired

3 The GM in Philly likely doesn't have the authority to fire the HC as Andy reid is the executive vice president of football operations in philly and has the final say on all football related moves (he is the GM for all intents and purposes and the GM in title is his assistant)

The bears also changed their Gm without changing their coach. And Accorsi did not retire willingly.

#13 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,307 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Rivera pretty much made the case for why he shouldn't be here.....

a HC is a manager of the show.....that is where he is weakest. I think he is a great X and O guy and DC mind. But we have lost all those close games b/c he is crappy HC.

#14 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I think we're reading too much into his statement.

In the end his fate had always rested with JR either directly or indirectly.

#15 Panthers Nation

Panthers Nation

Swaggin on ducks on a daily basis.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Please JR let that clown go.

The only reason we are winning games now is because of Cam and our defense has showed up.Rivera is not head coaching material he shows no emotion on the sideline whether we win or lose.I also don't want a head coach who doesn't back his franchise qb in the media.When Cam was getting bashed by the media Rivera was nowhere to be found,a real leader would back his franchise player,yet Rivera stayed quiet and let Cam take all the blame as if he didn't deserve any blame for his terrible coaching and clock managment at the end of games.

Rivera is not a leader of man,and he is too laid back/cool as a coach,he doesn't demand respect from the players.I have yet to see any of our key players say anything good about Rivera,he needs to go period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com