193 replies to this topic

#76 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,419 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Those in charge, I've never heard of a fan being the reason that a coach/gm got hired. Have you?

The board members of a corporation may guide the business and make hiring decisions, but only for as long as they have the support of the shareholders. The NFL is no different.

NFL owners do not operate in a vacuum. Any of them worth their salt certainly take public opinion into consideration when they make decisions about the future of the franchise. To think otherwise is just flat naive.

And obviously, even the JR of a few years ago thought the same, as he would go out of his way to answer letters, complaints, etc of PSL owners personally. I can't see that same guy now saying, "screw the opinions of our customers, I'm going to do what I damn well please." If he does that, then in a few years it's "welcome to LA".

#77 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

JR's "Yes Man". Rivera will be here next season too when we finish 6-10 or 7-9.

#78 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,357 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Not does he have the proper experience scouting players, he has a whole department for that. I think the best thing many Fans can do to understand the job of a sports GM is to go watch the movie Moneyball about the Oakland A's GM Billy Beane. may learn something about what makes a good GM, Beane did such a good job they made a movie about him.

Billy Beane was a former player/talent evaluator, who moved up to the General Manager position. His knowledge of players and the game are unparalleled. This other guy has helped manage the cap (which is poo now) and oversee the equipment. We need BETTER talent evaluators, better coaching, and that begins with someone who has done those things in the past and has succeeded. You say he has a whole department for that? He is the leader of that department, shouldn't he be the most accomplished or the most knowledgeable. That is a major part of his job.

This would be a disastrous move by the Panthers if this were true.

#79 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

But where's the logic in picking a guy like that over a guy who does have experience in all of those areas?

Going this route is what got us Marty Hurney.

while Marty Hurney fizzeld out over the last 4 years(and larger part of that was because of JR strong arming the players union), he is the number 1 reason we went from a team that was 1-15 to a Super Bowl 2 years later, and gave of a period of success lasting over 7 years that was very good by any standard.

People act as if the last few Years of Hurney are just how he was always like, big Picture Hurney was a very good thing to happen to us.

but with that said I do agree it's time for a change of direction but as far as we know how do you know this guy isn't it?

how do you now this guy hasn't been looking at every single one of Hurney's mistakes over the last 4 years and thinking in his head "oh I would probably not do that".

my point is we don't know, we just don't you can pretend you do but you don't.

I'm not for or against any of the candidates for GM could care less who it ends up being, just as long as he ends up being the right choice

#80 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Mother of god.

#81 bigskypanthersguy

bigskypanthersguy

Prowl, Cats, Prowl.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Were this true, we wouldn't be the Browns of the south. The Browns have a passionate fanbase.

#82 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

And Just to be very clear I'm not for or against anyone for GM and this is Currently the 3rd time I've stated this fact in this thread already.

Some people are acting as if I'm for Beane being GM I'm not. I'm just saying that we don't know who the best guy for the job is, and there's no way any of you know either and for all we know Beane could be.

#83 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Is it really such a bad thing if it happens? Do any of us know that much more about Beane than any of the 'hot' GM candidates out there that a random ESPN or NFL.com article didn't tell us?

#84 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Makes sense
If we're bad next year the entire staff will be gone and a new GM would be brought in

#85 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationILM

My level of fan commitment will be almost gone if this is true.

#86 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,869 posts

Is it really such a bad thing if it happens? Do any of us know that much more about Beane than any of the 'hot' GM candidates out there that a random ESPN or NFL.com article didn't tell us?

Be careful I raised the same question and was blasted for it, just a heads up.

#87 FastNFurious

FastNFurious

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

What has Beane done that would warrant him holding the pos full time? I'm just speaking personally, but if it happens.... we will see more empty seats in 2013

#88 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Here is my thinking. JR wants to give Rivera another year. JR doesnt want to be in a awkward position when he interviews a potential GM by saying "BTW, if I hire you I have 2 rules. You must not pick your own QB and you also must not pick your own HC because we are keeping Rivera." So if Rivera stays it makes the most sense to let Beane ride it out for a year, let the coaching stay, give Rivera power on who he signs cuts, drafts etc and see where the cards end up falling next season. If we dont make the playoffs, THEN JR will really drop the hammer and fire everyone and bring in a new GM, coaching staff etc

#89 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Makes sense
If we're bad next year the entire staff will be gone and a new GM would be brought in

This is the problem though...JR cannot...and I repeat CANNOT afford a f*** like this. The fanbase would turn on him

#90 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,619 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

How do any of you here know whether he would be a good choice or not?!? Leave it to the guys whos job it is to decide these things.....christ. You never know, Beane may lead us to the promised land.

14 losing seasons out of 18 says maybe they shouldn't be deciding these things

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.