#32 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

A big thing that skews the statistics for the left side is that a majority of the team's option plays go to that side :(

#33 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

You can't judge an individuals performance on the oline based on the result of the play. Gross is playing fine and wins his match ups far more often than he loses. Based on their ranking stats you could pancake your opposing player but someone else could whiff and let the defence into the backfield, it just makes no sense. PFF have him graded absolutely fine and they don't consider how we'll the ball carrier did, just how well gross dealt with the players opposite him.

#34 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,400 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

You can't judge an individuals performance on the oline based on the result of the play. Gross is playing fine and wins his match ups far more often than he loses. Based on their ranking stats you could pancake your opposing player but someone else could whiff and let the defence into the backfield, it just makes no sense. PFF have him graded absolutely fine and they don't consider how we'll the ball carrier did, just how well gross dealt with the players opposite him.

Consider this as well- during the Dallas game we ran to the left where Gross sealed the DE inside which left Tolbert to block Ware- who completely whiffed and went for no gain. The OL did their job flawlessly, but that's not reflected in the stats.

People have to realize that stats, good or bad, are a piece of the puzzle, not the whole picture.

#35 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm still waiting for you to respond chuck.

#36 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,558 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone see us taking an OL with our first round pick?

#37 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Source????????

Also like others mentioned, I believed the horrible read options early where we get tackled for negative yards makes this line's stats look worst.

A stat I would like to see is some sort of average time in the pocket or before pressure.

#38 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,813 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I don't know what's wrong with Gross. There was one play yesterday when the Chargers sent extra men on our left side. In spite of the extra targets, Gross ended up blocking no one. Debate all you want about his abilities, but I've never seen that kind of total and complete whiff from him.

Could he really be aging that quickly or is something else going on? It's very puzzling to me.

To me, as well. I don't get it.

#39 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,400 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I don't and hope we don't.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

A big thing that skews the statistics for the left side is that a majority of the team's option plays go to that side :(

that's one of the things to factor into the whole "you're doing it wrong" thing.

#41 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I don't and hope we don't.

it all depends on who the coach is.

#42 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Source????????

Also like others mentioned, I believed the horrible read options early where we get tackled for negative yards makes this line's stats look worst.

A stat I would like to see is some sort of average time in the pocket or before pressure.

that's one of the things about the read option that many running it don't understand.

when you run it a lot...when the defense has not just one guy carrying the ball, but two and you don't know where it's going to go, they tend to overwhelm the backfield and throw everything they can towards it, esp. if the OL isn't crap and/or beat up.

when they overload it, though, is when those that know how to run it change things up. they count on the defense overloading the pocket and then take advantage of the holes left by running play action and screens and everything else, but you make them think that you are going to be running it a lot and accept that quite often you're going to lose some yardage. but you more than make up for it by taking advantage of what they are giving you.

you treat it like any other rushing formation. if you don't balance it out and switch things up it becomes predictable and easy to defend.

i don't think chud ever figured this stuff out.

#43 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

To give the oline some credit, I've seen a few games in different games where Cam chose the wrong reads or reacted to late which resulted in him getting stuffed as well as Deangelo. He was probably believing his own hype and wind up getting his feelings hurt against the Broncos. The defenses have been throwing different looks so a good read can go bad in a split second.

I'm just glad to see more I formations because the first quarter of the season, I don't remember seeing any form more than a couple of times. Plus the vets on the line had gotten comfortable with foxy style of play. However, looking back then, the line never really reached its stride until the later of the second quarter of the season. D didn't really get going in 08 until like the 5th game then he explodes. I think gross and kalil aren't getting until game shape until they work off some if those belly rolls.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: offensive line, carolina panthers, 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.