Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Cam have a sophmore slump or did Chud?

43 posts in this topic

Posted

When the coaches talk about taking stuff off Cam's plate, they meant more that they made him less responsible for where the ball went (i.e. fewer zone reads) by giving him plays that were actual handoffs instead of having to make all the decisions. Has nothing to do with Cam's mental capacity, just redistributing the workload to his capable teammates.

cam didn't have to keep the ball so much in the option. that was on him. the problem wasn't the option, it was the usage of it.

Posted

It's 90% on Chud. Cam came out early in the year completing nearly 70% of his passes. Most of his throws were right on the money. Meanwhile, the scheme was not working. So what happens? Cam has to make more desperation throws and this always leads to mistakes. We couldn't run the ball, so he was under pressure all day long and that was screwing with his head. He began to press. You could watch it happening on a week to week basis.

Now we have the run game going a bit, we have given Cam more short and quick developing routes, and we are playing two TE's much more than earlier in the year so he has more protection. The result is he starts to gain confidence and perform better.

It is for these reasons that I find it so hard to forgive Ron and Chud and say they deserve a 2nd chance. If Cam wasn't so mentally tough, they could have ruined our franchise QB, and that would have been a disaster for the whole franchise.

Posted

I think it's a great question, I thought the offensive play calling over the first 4 games of the season was terrible but at the same time Cam has been going through a slump.

I'd say its 50/50

Posted

Both.

When Chud stopped messing, and Cam stopped pressing, the offense was no longer perplexing.

I see what you did there.

I agree.

Posted

I tend to agree...it's a bit of both.

While Cam still is overthrowing some balls and Chud continues to call some boneheaded plays at times, the frequency for both has been limited the past few weeks.

They've been able to slow the game down. Apart from the Chiefs game, the Panthers have been excellent in the time of possession and on 3rd downs. Cam is throwing shorter passes to maximize the gains achieved for each down and Chud has been showing more of a commitment to the power running game.

It's just a shame all this didn't happen sooner.

Posted

Yes

Posted

Chud is one egotistical sonofabitch he knew the option was killing Cam's mechanics, but he stayed with it ad our base offense for 13 games, thinking it would just magically gel.

Posted

Chud is one egotistical sonofabitch he knew the option was killing Cam's mechanics, but he stayed with it ad our base offense for 13 games, thinking it would just magically gel.

The option shouldn't have been an option after the giants game if you ask me.

Posted

Both.

When Chud stopped messing, and Cam stopped pressing, the offense was no longer perplexing.

Al Sharpton digs this!

Posted

Al Sharpton digs this!

Or Jessie Jackson

Posted

Chud was calling mularkey and I like how someone put it that it messed with Cam's mechanics. 95%-5% Chud.

Posted

I think the answer is that it was more Chud than Cam.

Cam did not play that well in the first part of the season, but I still put far more blame on the base offense that was installed and the playcalling for the offensive issues we had.