Photo
- - - - -

Did Cam have a sophmore slump or did Chud?

cam newton sophmore slump ron chudzinski

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,298 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

It isn't a sophomore slump for Chud....

He has a history of being an inconsistent coach. It is what he is....good some days and bad others.

A repeat of Clev....

#32 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Question is easily answered.

Look at the play calling in the first half of the season. Look at how Cam performed in that time.

Look at the play calling in the second half of the season so far. Look at how Cam is performing.

Very simple. Chud fuged up early on and fixed it. When he did that, Cam took off. That isn't coincidence, to me. I think Cam has grown from the struggles of the first half of the season, so it is a blessing in disguise, but better play calling in the first half of the season, and we're looking at the Wild Card, if not the division lead.

#33 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Chud being a genius, maybe had to show Cam a lesson, that he isn't superman and the offense consists of 11 players and when Cam started acting like it, Chud fixed the offense.

#34 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,719 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Actually from I can piece together, it was a combination of the two. They changed the playbook and the play calling to simplify the system believing that Cam was having difficulty recognizing defenses and being able to audibelize. They gave him 2 options at the line. Somewhere along the way they found that didn't work and reverted back to the old system and gave him more autonomy.
He apparently had done quite a bit of work with Shula recognizing defenses and using the checkdowns and quick hitters to the point that his recognition and ability to audibelize has improved immensely. So they have opened things up ran a more NFL style offense with more power running options and we have an explosive offense the past few weeks.

#35 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

In my opinion it was 50% Cam and 50% Chud. Thankfully they both seem to have gotten their act together and it's showing positive results by helping us win recent games.

#36 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's funny the media harped on how Cam was having a sophmore slump, yet he will have better numbers than he did last year. Once we win these last two games, we will have a better record than last year. So when the media talk about the Panthers, what will they have to say for themselves?

#37 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

He apparently had done quite a bit of work with Shula recognizing defenses and using the checkdowns and quick hitters to the point that his recognition and ability to audibelize has improved immensely. So they have opened things up ran a more NFL style offense with more power running options and we have an explosive offense the past few weeks.

Yes indeed, you are right about that because earlier in the season Cam wouldn't check down to save his life. I can remember games where the rb's were open and he would not even look their way and throw a pick. Most of the times the rbs would be in a position to pick up first down yards and larger chunks.

So I agree with those statements.

Also, I think Cam was trying to relive the team being the most explosive offense from last year which could have clouded his judgment to make something from nothing, especially when you have a Smitty in your ear saying, "one man i'm open, 2 man i got a chance, 3 throw it to me and see what happens".

#38 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I believe the Seattle game was Cam's worst as a pro. As for that play at the end, the play was busted from the start. A linebacker just happened to slip; that's the only reason Hartsock was open in the first place. The throw itself was desperation on a surprise receiver when Cam was running for his life. Of course his mechanics were going to be off.

I think many people also forget that just before Cam's "choke" throw in the dirt, he had hit Louis Murphy with a pass at the 1 yard line, but Murphy couldn't stretch out for the final yard to get the TD. If Murphy finished that play, no one would be talking about the throw in the dirt.

#39 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I think many people also forget that just before Cam's "choke" throw in the dirt, he had hit Louis Murphy with a pass at the 1 yard line, but Murphy couldn't stretch out for the final yard to get the TD. If Murphy finished that play, no one would be talking about the throw in the dirt.

....but, but, but u blame it on Rivera...

#40 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,524 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

It's funny the media harped on how Cam was having a sophmore slump, yet he will have better numbers than he did last year. Once we win these last two games, we will have a better record than last year. So when the media talk about the Panthers, what will they have to say for themselves?

they won't talk about him at all.

but as much as I hate to defend the media, Cam was looking pretty bad when they were talking about him, and *some* of it was on him (how much... debatable...)

#41 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

....but, but, but u blame it on Rivera...

No, you've got it all wrong. The throw in the dirt was Chud's fault, not Ron's. :cool:

#42 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

No, you've got it all wrong. The throw in the dirt was Chud's fault, not Ron's. :cool:

lol...damn thing about Chud, when hes good hes really good, when hes bad hes really bad...but he has thrown in some nice wrinkles in the offence... Tell me you didn't like that handoff to Dlo with a pitch back to Smitty...Chud, like our players underperform but i think if we stick with it we'll be consistant with good results....

#43 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

lol...damn thing about Chud, when hes good hes really good, when hes bad hes really bad...but he has thrown in some nice wrinkles in the offence... Tell me you didn't like that handoff to Dlo with a pitch back to Smitty...Chud, like our players underperform but i think if we stick with it we'll be consistant with good results....

He does some great stuff, but it's like he always out-thinks himself. On the plus side, we have a great red zone offense in spite of not really having a great red zone receiver. On the negative side, he does things like start the game out in the wildcat with DWill taking the direct snap. I keep waiting to see DWill pass out of the wildcat, but in 2 years of running it, all we've ever seen is him running the ball. We have the best dual threat QB in the NFL, so what does having DWill take the snap do for us?

I guess the best way to put it is I have a love/hate relationship with Chud. He just needs a boss to bring him back in line when he starts to stray. Ron hasn't done a great job of doing that so far (until it was too late).

But yeah, I do love some of his trickier plays. He also seems to have a good feel for when to call them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cam newton, sophmore slump, ron chudzinski

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com