Photo
- - - - -

December 21st: Will it be Another Y2K-Type Event, or Will Something Actually Happen?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,764 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I was reading this article and the tagline combined with the picture at the top immediately caught my attention...

Four days to go until the Mayan Doomsday - and there's a rush on for bomb-proof survival bunkers (complete with leather sofas and plasma screen TVs)

• Ron Hubbard builds stylish underground bomb-proof shelter in California
  • Designer's business has gone from selling one per month to one per day
  • Some say Mayan Long Count calendar proves world will end this Friday

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2FQcfNefh

By Mark Duell
PUBLISHED: 11:53 EST, 17 December 2012 | UPDATED: 03:18 EST, 18 December 2012
If you’re seriously concerned about the world ending on Friday, then this could be just the ticket.
Ron Hubbard has built a luxurious underground bomb-proof shelter in Montebello, California, with a leather sofa, plasma TV and wooden flooring - just in case the Mayans’ predictions come true.
The civilisation’s Long Count calendar which began 5,125 years ago in 3113 B.C. ends on December 21, 2012 - sparking fears among a small group of people that a major catastrophe could happen.
Scroll down for video

Posted Image
Bomb-proof: Children test out the bunk beds in the underground survival shelter in Montebello, California

Posted Image
Going underground: The luxurious bomb, nuclear and chemical weapon-proof bunkers are kitted out with beds, kitchens, flushing toilets and even fireplaces - and sell for an average price of £46,000 based on fittings

Posted Image
Handle: A young girl stands in the bunker, which has a leather sofa, plasma TV and wooden flooring
Mr Hubbard manufactures hi-tech underground ‘recreational bomb shelters’ - and has seen his business boom from selling one a month to one a day in the past year.

THE END - OR A NEW CALENDAR?

Inscriptions in Mexico refer to Bolon Yokte - a god associated with war and the underworld - 'descending from the sky' at the end of a 13th period of 400 years on December 21 2012.
But many Mayan experts believe the ‘apocalypse’ concept is a false interpretation of their 5,125-year Long Count cycle as Friday simply marks the start of a new calendar.
The luxurious bomb, nuclear and chemical weapon-proof bunkers are kitted out with beds, kitchens, flushing toilets and even fireplaces - and sell for an average price of £46,000.

More...
Mr Hubbard revealed that he is currently rushing the instalment of two shelters - one in New York and another in Indiana - in time for the potential Doomsday anticipated by some people this Friday.
He said: ‘I will be heading into my shelter on December 21 just because I have one and if any of the astrophysicists are right, I would feel really stupid.

Posted Image
Tidy: The 500 sq ft cylindrical shelters - produced in California - each measure 10ft in diameter and 50ft long

Posted Image
Home comforts: A bed is prepared in the shelter with the Texas flag on the pillows and duvet cover

Posted Image
Practical: The bunkers have escape tunnels with one sided hatches which can only open from the inside, as well as sealed contamination rooms between the entrance and living areas
‘I've sold shelters to astrophysicists who believe there is a possibility that we could be hit with a strong solar flare or large amounts of radiation.

'I will be heading into my shelter on December 21 just because I have one and if any of the astrophysicists are right, I would feel really stupid'
Ron Hubbard, shelter manufacturer

‘I'll spend three days underground in the shelter just to be safe. If you have a shelter you might as well go in it. I don't think anything will happen but you never know.’
The 500 sq ft cylindrical shelters - produced at Mr Hubbard’s based in California - each measure 10ft in diameter and 50ft long.
They have escape tunnels with one sided hatches which can only open from the inside, as well as sealed contamination rooms between the entrance and living areas.
But they have proved popular not just with those preparing for armageddon, but hunters too.Posted Image
Installation: The chambers are mean to be installed 20 feet underground - offering comfort as the world falls apart around you

Posted Image
Relax in comfort: A leather sofa and basins can be found inside the Doomsday underground bunker

Posted Image
Space optimization: There are a range of shelters for sale- this one being cheaper than the luxury edition

Mr Hubbard said: ‘I started making them because I wanted one for myself, but didn't want to pay $1million (£600,000) to $2million (£1.2million) for them.

'I'll spend three days underground in the shelter just to be safe. If you have a shelter you might as well go in it. I don't think anything will happen but you never know'
Ron Hubbard, shelter manufacturer

‘We get a lot of people who buy the shelters as a form of insurance for the worst case scenario. Just like someone would buy fire insurance in case their home suffers a fire.
‘We have gone from selling one a month to one a day in the past year since Obama's re-election.
‘Many people are afraid of economic meltdown, others simply want to have one just in case something catastrophic does happen.
‘People love them. They make a very nice hunting cabin or weekend retreat, so they don't just have to sit there waiting for a catastrophe.’

Posted Image
Creature comforts: The small dining area with an ornament on the side is reminiscent of a table at a diner

Posted Image
Home made: There is a mini fridge and microwave in the shelter but little other space for food preparation

Posted Image
Tight quarters: Visitors likened the California shelter to a studio apartment when they looked around

Posted Image
CCTV with a view of the world upstairs: Add a few trinkets and posters and you have a home from home

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2FQcR92EQ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

When I say, will something happen, I mean as in people acting crazy because they don't actually understand the concept of December 21st according to the Mayans. Personally, I think it will be just another day, but it concerns me that if people are buying bomb shelters at such a rapid rate leading up to it, then what is their mindset? What are they thinking? And if you're gonna buy into a piece of the Mayan culture, you should at the very least understand some of the rest of it... You know, like understanding that their calendar was cyclical and they made no reference to doomsdays that I'm aware of - especially not when it came to December 21st, 2012.

#2 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

If people are buying bomb shelters today, their crazy asses better start digging fast. I wish I owned an excavator, I'd make a kiling.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,393 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

From all the bars I am hearing advertising end of the world parties, there are going to be a lot of hungover people on Dec 22nd.

#4 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Really makes you want to be in the 'luxurious bomb shelter making business' until the 22nd.

#5 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'd rather die anyway. People start going insane after a few weeks underground.

#6 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,731 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I would say that a lot of these shelter companies won't last long in 2013.

#7 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Dec 31, 1999; 11:59 PM. Charlotte NC.

A drunk BBQ&Beer is counting down to the new year near the stage because his friends are in the band. Somewhere around '3" his foot gets tangled in the AV input cord to the projector for the big screen. As he jumps to shout "HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!" & drunkenly slobber on some random chick he picked up that night, he rips the cord out. The big screen goes to static. People lose their poo. There's crying, screaming...a prayer circle forms.

Hopefully, on Dec 21, 2012, there will be an unusual cosmic event. A surprise meteor shower, the light from a super nova reaches us. Something harmless but very visible. A trolling from the stars if you will...

#8 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,789 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

That thing might as well be a giant grave.

#9 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

From all the bars I am hearing advertising end of the world parties, there are going to be a lot of hungover people on Dec 22nd.

I'm waiting for the "Doomsday Bunker Baby Boom". See a of those kids in the pictures? One day they will be teens.

#10 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

That thing might as well be a giant grave.

See what I just posted. That's no grave... It's a natural insemination clinic.

#11 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,789 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

See what I just posted. That's no grave... It's a natural insemination clinic.

hahahaha

#12 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,642 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

shouldn't the first question you ask when talking to an underground shelter sales dude is does he have one or not?

#13 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

That underground shelter is awesome even of the world doesnt end....The new mother- in- law suite or if a tornado hits that would be a great bunker as well.

#14 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,439 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'm expecting some silly stories but nothing major.

That said, if we all ascend to super Sayians that will be cool too.

#15 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Dec 31, 1999; 11:59 PM. Charlotte NC.

A drunk BBQ&Beer is counting down to the new year near the stage because his friends are in the band. Somewhere around '3" his foot gets tangled in the AV input cord to the projector for the big screen. As he jumps to shout "HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!" & drunkenly slobber on some random chick he picked up that night, he rips the cord out. The big screen goes to static. People lose their poo. There's crying, screaming...a prayer circle forms.

Hopefully, on Dec 21, 2012, there will be an unusual cosmic event. A surprise meteor shower, the light from a super nova reaches us. Something harmless but very visible. A trolling from the stars if you will...

i'd pee my pants if i got to see a supernova.

not gonna happen though... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.