Photo
- - - - -

FoxNews - War on Christmas Interviews.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#13 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Had a very broad overview of various world religions while in elementary school.

As long as teachers take an even handed approach and don't try and convert anyone it can be rather enlightening.

#14 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Religion is a personal choice that should happen in the home first and for most.
School should be about learning.

I agree completely... and it's the question I ask people (mainly relatives of mine) when they complain about the schools not teaching the "real meaning of christmas"...

If they teach about Christmas, what are you gonna say when they teach about other religions?

That usually doesn't get a warm reception from them...

#15 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Wonder what a lot of people would say if they taught the kids about Allah, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or secular celebrations?

Probably wouldn't get a warm reception I'm guessing...

They'd be freaking out. They've talked a little about dreidels at school concerning Hanukkah but when I picked him up from school the other day he said they spent the whole morning watching movies about Jesus and making angels etc.

edit: We don't mind our kid learning about religions, if we did we'd be discussing this with the teacher or principle. However I'm in the class a lot and can tell you it's not even handed at all.

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I love looking for things to have fake outrage over. :)

I have to find three things a day

#17 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

i honestly think schools should be required to teach a religion course... that would wrap all this shiat into a nice neat little bow... and give people the opportunity to explore their ideas regardless of faith.

#18 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

They'd be freaking out. They've talked a little about dreidels at school concerning Hanukkah but when I picked him up from school the other day he said they spent the whole morning watching movies about Jesus and making angels etc.

edit: We don't mind our kid learning about religions, if we did we'd be discussing this with the teacher or principle. However I'm in the class a lot and can tell you it's not even handed at all.

...and that's the problem.

All of these parents who are christian, would have a bitch fit if the kids had a muslim teacher (which they probably wouldn't anyway, but that's another story) who was teaching their kids about muslim holidays... but it's ok for a christian teacher to teach about christian holidays.

It's a double standard most don't even see.