48 replies to this topic

#46 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

You act like coaches hire data analysts to come in and tell them poo they already know...
(most coaches already know where their team is weak and don't need any complex statistics to come to their conclusions)

Coaches don't need to hire data analysts. They already have them on staff, typically called quality control coaches, or assistants, etc. Coaches have stats on just about everything you could think of at their fingertips throughout the season.

#47 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,466 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Shoulda, coulda, woulda............ Great speculation that could be true or not. Any panther fan hopes they are a talented team that just couldn't fin a way to win until recently. Until then though, they are a team playing better but the were so bad early that they have no chance for the playoffs or a winning season this year. Next year we will see. If we went off last year'stats you would have predicted success this year and we see how that worked out.

The point differential stat is only predictive if you compare them on a weekly basis not a cumulative average. Compared in isolation after each game, there is a 100% correlation between winning and losing. Like most other stats, once you start diluting it over time, it becomes less meaningful..

#48 The_Mango55

The_Mango55

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Shoulda, coulda, woulda............

I don't even know who you are arguing with when you say this. I'm saying that we are a team that had the chance to win many early games but couldn't do it. Do you disagree with me or not?

The point differential stat is only predictive if you compare them on a weekly basis not a cumulative average. Compared in isolation after each game, there is a 100% correlation between winning and losing. Like most other stats, once you start diluting it over time, it becomes less meaningful..

The point differential stat you used in your previous post was a cumulative average, unless somehow the Lions scored 23.6 points one week.

Point differential on a game to game basis is useless as a predictor because it only applies to that game. It says nothing about the team other than how they performed in a single game.

#49 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Before you accuse me of being hyperbolic, remember that you said "Stats are for losers" just a few posts ago.

I never said stats are for losers...

It is widely believe that the "best" team doesn't always win the championship in their respective sport, but this idea is based off stats. The only thing that matters is who won...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.