Photo
- - - - -

One thing I fear. We beat the Raiders but lose to the Saints..

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 SevenSixes

SevenSixes

Born a moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

How would you have assessed BIll Belicheck after 2 years in Cleveland?? Never going to be a good coach??

It took longer than his 5 years in Cleveland to make him a good coach.

Should we give Ron 6 just to be safe?

#32 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

So if that happens then he gets fired next year and we move on. Look at all the first year records of new coaches. Sure we can find a few who were instantly successful but for the most part they waited until year 2 or later to win more than they lost. If we make a change we are likely to have a losing record anyway. The reality is that keeping the same system and coach are more likely to produce a winning season than making a change if the main criteria is simple next year.

Didn't Jimmy Johnson go 1-15 his first year with the Cowboys? Rivera has made some questionable decisions throughout the season, but alot of them are hindsight is 20/20 type situations. I think he, Chud and McD have learned alot this year. And more than anything, I think Cam has learned this year.

The staff knows their players better and how to best put them in situations to succeed. Cam has finally figured out that a 2-5 yard pass to an open RB/TE can mean 10-15 yards in YAC.

This team is much better than it was early in the season and they know it. No team in the league with playoff implications would want to play the Panthers right now. With this Cam Newton, and this playcalling, the Panthers would be in the playoff hunt.

#33 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

To me, the Raiders game is more significant... we should beat the Raiders... if we don't then that's pretty damming for Rivera I would think.

#34 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,858 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I want gone anyway, as long as we have a good replacement.

#35 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

It took longer than his 5 years in Cleveland to make him a good coach.

Should we give Ron 6 just to be safe?

Actually Belicheck got Cleveland in the playoffs year 4. And if Rivera doesn't have a winning season next year I would move on. But you said that based on 2 years you could tell he never would be a good coach and I showed where your logic doesn't hold up and some coaches who are great ended up struggling for the first 2 years in their first gig. I can also show you coaches that has winning seasons early but went downhill after that. That absolute that you know that he will never amount to anything is where I disagree.

#36 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

The problem I have with Rivera is that the entire playcalling philosophy changed once we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

We are now running an offense that most of us on here were begging for earlier in the year.
Our defense is now pressuring the QB with some different blitz looks while our defensive backs are pressing up on receivers.

There are a ton of good things you can say about Rivera (inheriting a 2 win disaster and each week putting out a competitive team <broncos and Giants games being the exception>). He also still has the lockerroom which is a good thing.

The point of my post was just to illustrate the thing that bothers me the most about Rivera. I don't know if he should be fired or retained. I can tell you that if it were my decision, I would probably look at doing either of the following: 1. Bringing in a coordinator with previous head coaching experience. 2. Getting rid of Rivera for a coach that has prior head coaching experience.

#37 SevenSixes

SevenSixes

Born a moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

My logic, is that against good coaches Ron is actually horrible.

His record shows no improvement despite a full off season and the self reflections he has undergone. If the goal is to create a winning team that can contend for a Super Bowl in the next 5 years, Ron doesn't seem able to make the changes in his approach to coaching to win the tough games against tough opponents.

I guess what bothers me the most is his inability to protect a 4th quarter lead. I thought that Defense was this man's forte', but he too often plays his secondary too deep and keeps the pass rush too light. He's 0 -11 in games decided by 7 or less, it's a triumph over mathematics as he should statistically be near .500% on that stat.

Will Ron ever be as good as Bill? I don't know, but we don't have half a decade to find out, and neither does JR.

#38 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

...how bout Mike Smith...spectacular regular season records since what, 2008? One and done in every post season game I think. Their setting home just like we are in Feb. Wonder if anyone in Atanta is calling for his head...I know they would on this board if he was our coach... Rivera hasn't even had a resonable chance.... he's on a learning curve but i'm backing him for now, think Chud has learned his lesson too.

#39 Alverez

Alverez

Hold my beer, and check this out!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

how come I feel I've read these comments somewhere before...

#40 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,591 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

This team is much better than it was early in the season and they know it. No team in the league with playoff implications would want to play the Panthers right now. With this Cam Newton, and this playcalling, the Panthers would be in the playoff hunt.

Did you post this week 14 year 2011 or 2012?
Finished 4-2 last year and yet none of it translated to success the following season.

#41 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,797 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Finished 4-2 last year and yet none of it translated to success the following season.

Yes, the reason for this and 20036 other "Does Rivera says or go?" threads..

#42 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

We will salvage whatever is left of this season if we punch the saints in the mouth and run up the score in the season finale, that will definitely make my weekend

#43 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hard to argue that... and btw I'm not a RIvera apologist - really on the fence.

#44 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

What if we lose to the raiders and beat the saints?

That would really suck

#45 SmashinnDashin

SmashinnDashin

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I actually wouldn't be opposed to Rivera staying, assuming we finish strong. I like what I have seen the second half of the season. I think a lot of people want to get another coach but that's shortsighted. This is only Rivera's second year as a head coach ANYWHERE. He is constantly learning and as long as the team is improving and he hasn't lost the players, why not give him a 3rd year. We could easily be an 8 or 9 win team right now if a few plays had gone differently ON THE FIELD in Chicago, Atlanta, and here at home against Seattle (Cam doesn't throws ball into turf at end), and Tampa to name a few. You can't put that all on Rivera. We go out now and get a different coach it is another 2+ years of new schemes and learning for this young team before we can be anything good. Unless its a well known PROVEN coach like a Cowher why not give Rivera one more chance.

And let the flaming ensue...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.