#151 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

2 TE formations have been around since dirt was created. Are we going to give Kelly credit for that too? Just last year, we had 2 dynamic pass catching TE's, so it's not like NE has invented something new with Gronk and Hernandez.

The biggest influence Kelly has probably had on NE is with their one-word play calls. That allows them to run their no huddle offense at a faster pace. However, Kelly isn't the only coach that has provided tips to NE, as BB also has had frequent input from guys like Urban Meyer and Lou Saban.

Look, I'm not dead set against Kelly. He interests me and is a guy worth looking at. But let's keep things in perspective. Giving him credit for the use of 2 TE's in the passing game is just ridiculous.

Agreed.

Having said that, what kind of credit should a HC get that has actually utilized the two tight end formation to great success but abandons it the very next season for a disjointed, anemic offense? Then, to make things worse, he doesn't recognize/acknowledge his bad judgment and throws away half a season before there is any sign of his OC attempting to correct the error?

Thank you sir, may I have another? (season of that kind of leadership/thinking)

#152 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

2 TE formations have been around since dirt was created. Are we going to give Kelly credit for that too? Just last year, we had 2 dynamic pass catching TE's, so it's not like NE has invented something new with Gronk and Hernandez.

The biggest influence Kelly has probably had on NE is with their one-word play calls. That allows them to run their no huddle offense at a faster pace. However, Kelly isn't the only coach that has provided tips to NE, as BB also has had frequent input from guys like Urban Meyer and Lou Saban.

Look, I'm not dead set against Kelly. He interests me and is a guy worth looking at. But let's keep things in perspective. Giving him credit for the use of 2 TE's in the passing game is just ridiculous.

you act like a gave him that credit. of course 2 TE sets have been around long before kelly but tell me another team that used 2 TE as their main receivers. we used 2 TE also...when we copied from NE. this is a copy cat league. you copy what other teams do well cause it works. we copied from NE when the 2 TE worked. Why not bring in a guy who doesnt copy but creates? the main reason cam made a huge splash was no one had tape on him. no one will have tape on a cam/kelly offense. it becomes that much more deadly when you dont even know what to prepare for.

can you tell me with a straight face that youd rather have Ron over that? cause i cant.

#153 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

you act like a gave him that credit. of course 2 TE sets have been around long before kelly but tell me another team that used 2 TE as their main receivers. we used 2 TE also...when we copied from NE. this is a copy cat league. you copy what other teams do well cause it works. we copied from NE when the 2 TE worked. Why not bring in a guy who doesnt copy but creates? the main reason cam made a huge splash was no one had tape on him. no one will have tape on a cam/kelly offense. it becomes that much more deadly when you dont even know what to prepare for.

can you tell me with a straight face that youd rather have Ron over that? cause i cant.

This isn't a Ron vs. Chip argument.

I just get the impression you haven't been watching football for very long. I'm not trying to be condescending, but you keep making these statements that are just silly. First, the one about NE learning how to use a 2 TE offense from Kelly, and now, that our offense last year used 2 TE's to move the ball because we copied NE.

Child, please.

#154 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

This isn't a Ron vs. Chip argument.

I just get the impression you haven't been watching football for very long. I'm not trying to be condescending, but you keep making these statements that are just silly. First, the one about NE learning how to use a 2 TE offense from Kelly, and now, that our offense last year used 2 TE's to move the ball because we copied NE.

Child, please.

you keep making assertions that i said kelly showed them the 2 TE offense I did not. second, you completely dodged the question of me asking you to find any team that has used the 2 TE as main receivers? Gronk had Megatron stats last year. a TE having WR stats is usually unheard of. the 2 TE mega season NE had was in 2011 kelly wasnt brought in until after that season. of course he didnt show them that but he did give them suggestions on spread and no huddle which highlights gronk and hernandez because there is more than likely a miss match of a LB on one of them.

dont ever child please me. ive been watching football for a long time. i dont make dumb misinformed assertions about your life dont make them about mine.

#155 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

dont ever child please me. ive been watching football for a long time. i dont make dumb misinformed assertions about your life dont make them about mine.

Sorry if I offended you, but the reality is you are still very young (and that is a good thing, believe me) and there were some spectacular TE's doing things before you were born.

If you have the time, do some research on Kellen Winslow Sr. or Shannon Sharpe. They put up Megatron type seasons (for that era) and were true game changers.

NE happens to have 2 very talented tight ends, and when you couple that with a QB like Brady, good things are going to happen. My only point is that it's not something revolutionary that is happening with that offense. What is going on in NE, and this applies to Kelly's input into the system as well, isn't tearing up the league because defenses are overly confused by it. It's tearing up the league because it is being run by really, really good players.

#156 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm kinda ignorant on anything coaching-related in the NFL), but is there any chance JR could bring in Chip Kelly as our HC and demote Rivera to be our defensive coordinator? I think Ron would be an ideal fit for our DC and already presumably has a strong relationship with our players, but I've just never heard of a head coach getting demoted to a coordinator position. I dunno if it's a pride thing or if there are rules against it or what, but it sounds like a good idea to me....

I like what Rivera has done with our defense this season (assuming he has taken reins a bit from McDermott like people have suggested), but I just hate his decision-making. If we could keep Rivera working with our D but have someone else come in that can overrule any of Rivera's dumb decisions, I'd feel a lot better about our team next season.

#157 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm willing to bet that Chip Kelley wouldn't even come here if we did want him. I remember reading that he's hell bent on bringing a championship to Oregon. If I were him I wouldn't abandon what I've built yet either.

#158 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

It will be us vs the Eagles for Chip Kelly

#159 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Just heard on ESPN Kelly will be targeted by the Philadelphia Eagles...

So don't get your hopes too high

#160 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

It will be us vs the Eagles for Chip Kelly

Who's the QB for the Iggles? Nick Foles? We win.

But Lurie will push Richardson to the ground like Walmart shoppers stampeding for a bargain TV on Black Friday when the doors open.

#161 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,906 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

LaCanfora on CBS reporting that the Eagles are considered 'leading candidates' to land Kelly.

He believes they'll do pretty much anything to get him.

#162 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Sorry if I offended you, but the reality is you are still very young (and that is a good thing, believe me) and there were some spectacular TE's doing things before you were born.

My age literally has nothing to do with this conversation at all. I get the impression you are a brain dead monkey who likes to flex internet muscles. I'm right cause you know I'm a knowledge person on the subject right? Let's just end this. We've gone way off topic anyway

#163 Kuech Da Sneak

Kuech Da Sneak

As long as we aren't 32.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

It's not us vs. Philly, it's Philly with us hoping to somehow lure Chip away from them.

Highly doubt JR will give a college coach more money than Philly will.

#164 CarolinaVeins

CarolinaVeins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

So should we be cheering for Philly to win out and change their mind about Reid or is it too late?

#165 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,906 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

So should we be cheering for Philly to win out and change their mind about Reid or is it too late?

Reid is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.