• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#76 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Kelly's offense as is will not work in the NFL. We've personally seen it shut down many times this season. And you definitely couldn't win a championship with it. It's just too gimmicky! There's nothing solid about it. I would hate to see Cam subjected to such an offense, it's bad enough watching him play in this offense for much of the season. The read option is a nice change up, but it's useless as a main course meal.

sorry...but it is working. teams are using the read option successfully. they are using his no huddle offense.

at the risk of banging my head against the wall, i'm going to try and educate you on his offense.

it's based on the run setting up the pass. it's a run first offense that's only different than traditional run first offenses in that it gives the defense one runner to try and stop rather than two. 4 legs are better than two. the defense has to choose between who they want to stop.

when we ran the ball incredibly well in '08 defenses had to stack the box to stop it, but the rarely could. they had to flat out overload the box. that is what happens with chud's offense, only there's two possible runners instead of one.

when you have defenses overloading the box, guess what's going to happen? the defense is likely going to be able to stop it. but guess what else happens? it leaves them vulnerable to other things. that is what kelly's offense is trying to do. they use the read option...a running play/formation to set up other things. it's built expecting the defense to throw everything they can to stop it and make them keep working on it while you use more traditional concepts like play action, bubble screens, etc. to exploit their vulnerabilities. and they do that all game long, only they do that at such a pace defenses have no chance to set themselves up or prepare themselves or make substitutions.

and defenses will never know what it is that they are going to do because more often than not kelly's offense runs it out of the same formations. everything they do in their playbook starts out from one of just a handful of formations so it's easy to disguise their intents and it's easy for the players to get set up for the next play. all they have to know is what the next play is and it only takes one or two words from the QB to know it.

it's fast. it's efficient. it's deceptive. and it's effective.

it's a bridge offense between the spread and more traditional concepts and it will work. it has worked against some of the best defensive minds in the NFL and more and more offenses in the NFL are looking at it as a model.

so explain to me why the read option wouldn't work and quit throwing out that "gimmicky" stuff. when someone throws that out and calls it just another read option offense, it does nothing more than tell me that they haven't done much researching to see what they actually do.

#77 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

OK. You just sold me. I'm on board Rayzor's Chip Kelly bandwagon, defense force, or whatever.

Posted Image

#78 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,464 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

If we hire Kelly, will we have new uniforms for every game? A mirrored blue helmet would be cool.

#79 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,481 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Chip is overrated. Chud 2.0.

#80 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

sorry...but it is working. teams are using the read option successfully. they are using his no huddle offense.

at the risk of banging my head against the wall, i'm going to try and educate you on his offense.

it's based on the run setting up the pass. it's a run first offense that's only different than traditional run first offenses in that it gives the defense one runner to try and stop rather than two. 4 legs are better than two. the defense has to choose between who they want to stop.

when we ran the ball incredibly well in '08 defenses had to stack the box to stop it, but the rarely could. they had to flat out overload the box. that is what happens with chud's offense, only there's two possible runners instead of one.

when you have defenses overloading the box, guess what's going to happen? the defense is likely going to be able to stop it. but guess what else happens? it leaves them vulnerable to other things. that is what kelly's offense is trying to do. they use the read option...a running play/formation to set up other things. it's built expecting the defense to throw everything they can to stop it and make them keep working on it while you use more traditional concepts like play action, bubble screens, etc. to exploit their vulnerabilities. and they do that all game long, only they do that at such a pace defenses have no chance to set themselves up or prepare themselves or make substitutions.

and defenses will never know what it is that they are going to do because more often than not kelly's offense runs it out of the same formations. everything they do in their playbook starts out from one of just a handful of formations so it's easy to disguise their intents and it's easy for the players to get set up for the next play. all they have to know is what the next play is and it only takes one or two words from the QB to know it.

it's fast. it's efficient. it's deceptive. and it's effective.

it's a bridge offense between the spread and more traditional concepts and it will work. it has worked against some of the best defensive minds in the NFL and more and more offenses in the NFL are looking at it as a model.

so explain to me why the read option wouldn't work and quit throwing out that "gimmicky" stuff. when someone throws that out and calls it just another read option offense, it does nothing more than tell me that they haven't done much researching to see what they actually do.

I've seen Kelly's offense at work in college. It's pretty much what Chud has been doing here, except Chud isn't going against Pac-12 defenses. A defense with any ounce of talent, could stop Kelly's offense. Let's get this out the way, the running game coming from a shotgun read option will be utterly destroyed. No team has successfully ran a running game with the read option as their main formation. Some would say the Redskins do it week in and week out, yet the Redskins run a pistol formation. This gives the runner time to see the field, and get that all important running motion towards the line. You look at the best rushing attacks in the league, and tell me how many of those offenses run a primarily read option?

On another note, no team runs the read option as their only formation. The Redskins are probably the closest, who I would say run it close to 60% of the time. I've hardly ever seen Kelly run a play from under center. It would be a youtube highlight when that happens. Yet all in all, if you say this offense uses the run to set up the pass, coming from the read option, this offense will stink because there is no such thing as a running game with the read option. Remember, Cam is our leading rusher after all.

#81 beach

beach

|~~-~-~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I get the appeal of Chip but I'm just not convinced. I'd be cool if it happens though.

#82 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Cam has been choosing the wrong reads also, but our line isn't built for the read option. If you look at Gross out there, he looks gross and lost at times. He has a hard time identifying the right blocks when defenses crash the line. Think about it, our vets have been in the league at least 5 years and going back to college schemes is like teaching them all over again. If we want to run the read option we will need to go young.

#83 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

nvm

#84 ZackAttack23

ZackAttack23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yes. I know he's a great offensive coach, but how would this affect our defense?

#85 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Cam has been choosing the wrong reads also, but our line isn't built for the read option. If you look at Gross out there, he looks gross and lost at times. He has a hard time identifying the right blocks when defenses crash the line. Think about it, our vets have been in the league at least 5 years and going back to college schemes is like teaching them all over again. If we want to run the read option we will need to go young.

agreed on the Oline.

that is a huge reason for the lack of success. a lack of experience with it. a lack of reps.

but then this Oline isn't really good for much this year anyway. it's been beat up and when it wasn't, it was being just a typical panther Oline that takes half a season to get their act together.

i can guarantee you that wouldn't be the case if kelly were here.

#86 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Yes. I know he's a great offensive coach, but how would this affect our defense?

it depends on who they got to run it.

#87 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

you don't know what you're talking about.

there is no run game in the read option? lol

Explain to me then why Cam is our leading rusher?

#88 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,381 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

I'd only want Kelly with a monster of a DC. Like Rivera or Ryan level.

#89 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I will tell you why, Wheels and Stewie have been held back because of incentive packages. I believe it's a fact that we would have won more games had deangelo gotten the 18 to 20 touches that he needs to explode. If shakey Jake said it then it has to be true.

#90 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Explain to me then why Cam is our leading rusher?

because chud's doing it wrong.

because cam chooses to keep the ball more than dish it out.

it doesn't matter whose running the ball, tho. it's still a running game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.