Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NRA's Official Recommendation - MOAR GUNZ!111

106 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you know in Texas, you don't even have to a state license whatsoever for a gun?

You can buy a handgun, rifle, or shotgun, and sell it to whomever you like so long as you don't suspect the person's going to do bad things with it (good luck).

That's awesome. I am happy for Texas. That is how this country was founded, and exactly what the 10th amendment is all about.

However in NC, it ain't that way. I choose to live here because I love this state. However if we go full on nut job over this deal, strip all weapons that shoot more than 4 bullets in a row without reloading and ban all black guns, I may move to Texas.

Thank god I have that ability.

Posted

I hope the next time any of you go camping, hiking, or bird watching you thank us gun owners. It's taxes (Pittman-Robertson Act) that we already pay for guns and ammo that help conserve habitat, and wildlife.

From Wiki...

Prior to the creation of the Pittman–Robertson Act, many species of wildlife were driven to or near extinction by hunting pressure, and/or habitat degradation from humans. The Act created an excise tax that provides funds to each state to manage such animals and their habitats. Notable species that have come back from the brink since the implementation of this act include white-tailed deer, wild turkey, and wood ducks.

Posted

NRA's suggestion..add one armed officer per school.

Crazy talk right?

Posted

I hope the next time any of you go camping, hiking, or bird watching you thank us gun owners. It's taxes (Pittman-Robertson Act) that we already pay for guns and ammo that help conserve habitat, and wildlife.

From Wiki...

Prior to the creation of the Pittman–Robertson Act, many species of wildlife were driven to or near extinction by hunting pressure, and/or habitat degradation from humans. The Act created an excise tax that provides funds to each state to manage such animals and their habitats. Notable species that have come back from the brink since the implementation of this act include white-tailed deer, wild turkey, and wood ducks.

So hunters were first largely unregulated and drove these animals to the point of extinction. Then government finally stepped in, imposed restrictions, required permits, and used the revenue to manage the wildlife and habitats, and now there's not a problem.

I wonder if there's anything we could learn from this...

Posted

County I worked in already had an SRO in each school...

That said, if someone decided to show up out of the blue and start shooting the place up, they're still going to do significant damage even before an SRO can respond, potentially... Having an officer on-site certainly offers you a quicker response time, but of course it doesn't eliminate the danger...

Posted

To be honest, I like the idea. I don't give a poo about the tax aspect. I think it would help with school shootings. The high school I went to got a resident cop the year after Columbine. I was gone by then but I never heard of any problems.

Would prefer they have tazers, though, rather than guns.

Posted

The answer is not going to be an easy one for sure. It's going to take a joint effort by a lot of parties. What bothers me is the fact that the NRA is shirking any and all responsibility and deflecting all of the blame.

Time for them to man up. If they don't, they're going to endure a pretty massive backlash that will be a witch hunt.

Posted

To be honest, I like the idea. I don't give a poo about the tax aspect. I think it would help with school shootings. The high school I went to got a resident cop the year after Columbine. I was gone by then but I never heard of any problems.

Would prefer they have tazers, though, rather than guns.

Taser won't help if some nut shows up with a rifle and two pistols, though... I don't want to have to get within 14-21 feet of him to stop him...

In reality, they likely carry both... Our office did in many cases...

Posted

Also, it's a bit ironic one of the major selling points of the NRA and gun activists is to prevent tyranny, yet here they are advocating an increase in armed government agents in civilian places.

Bit fishy.

Posted

Also, it's a bit ironic one of the major selling points of the NRA and gun activists is to prevent tyranny, yet here they are advocating an increase in armed government agents in civilian places.

Bit fishy.

lol would you prefer private Blackwater agents?

Posted

Because it's cheaper and more effective to be proactive than reactive.

If proactive means tighter gun laws perhaps eventually years from now it might have an effect, albeit slight with the number of guns already in the general public.

If proactive means an armed Police presence in Schools the effect would be immediate, although it would be more expensive, but we can put a price on a kid's life if you wish.

If there is law enforcement 24/7 during hours when children are present I would certainly hope another side effect would be less illegal drug availability to kids.

Posted

I'm actually not opposed to the idea at all as part of a mass effort of reducing shooting, but it just calls out the real motives of the activists.

Gun collectors want easy and cheap access to guns.

The NRA and the gun lobby want to make money.

By itself, security officers are a reactive band aid that will be expensive and have minimal impact other than for show. Personally I say take the funds collected from firearm registrations and use them to fund the security agents.