#16 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,482 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

It would be a mistake to try and switch to a 3-4 now. Rivera is probably going to be back next year and if he was interested in switching to that it should of been the first thing he changed when he came here.

A 3-4 LB are guys like Terrell Suggs and DeMarcus Ware. Shawn Merriman a couple years ago. Not Jon Beason and James Anderson.

#17 Future Of The Franchise

Future Of The Franchise

The Ambassador of Booty

• HUDDLER
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

i swear this fugin' thread pops up every year :cigar:

#18 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

My god not this again. We finally have 2 elite pass rushers, and people still insist we're moving to a 3-4 defense.

Did you read the original post? He never said they were, he was trying to end any talk of us switching by informing folks why we don't have the personnell for it.

#19 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Did you read the original post? He never said they were, he was trying to end any talk of us switching by informing folks why we don't have the personnell for it.

My comment wasn't meant for the OP.

#20 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

It would be a mistake to try and switch to a 3-4 now. Rivera is probably going to be back next year and if he was interested in switching to that it should of been the first thing he changed when he came here.

A 3-4 LB are guys like Terrell Suggs and DeMarcus Ware. Shawn Merriman a couple years ago. Not Jon Beason and James Anderson.

this, clay matthews/von miller are pretty unique players. not sure if they're even considered 3-4 olbs.

#21 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

My comment wasn't meant for the OP.

Gotcha

#22 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

decent thread.

I will say this, though. The description of the MLB is changed depending on the defense. There are variations of the 43, which have the MLB doing different things. For example, in a Cover 2 (aka the Tampa 2) defense, the MLB is more of a drop-back-into-coverage style player, which usually generates more interceptions for the player. However, in the Cover 2, the MLB isn't a sideline-to-sideline player. More of a north-south/endzone-to-endzone player, as well as a your primary TE coverage.

In Jim Johnson's old 43 defense, the MLB was more of an attacking LB, designed to really come up and stop the run. The player could push forward onto the offensive line, where he could find holes within the line to pick apart, and finding lanes that the running back is going to run through, etc.

#23 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

The OLBs, yes. And that position is usually called something different by each team. Some call it the hybrid, the joker, the attacker, the assaulter, etc. That position, the stand-up DE/pass rush position is a unique position. But, of course, Jon Beason wouldn't be playing the OLB position that Ware and Suggs both play, he'd be on the inside, with Kuechly.

However, Jon Beason would be a good example of someone who could play middle in the 34 system. In fact, case in point, when Patrick Willis and Jon Beason came out of college, both players were considered identical (go ahead, read reviews about them). Their style, their size, their speed, their motor, all of these things were considered to be on par. Patrick Willis has ended up fitting great into the ILB position of an awesome 34 defense.

#24 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

I like what we run now, 4-3 base, and trickle a little 3-4 for time to time.

But it would be nice to see us run a 4-4 DEF also from time to time.

#25 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,275 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

At the college I work at, we run a 4-3 base but also use a lot of 4-2-5 (which is one of my favorite).

#26 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,765 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

At the college I work at, we run a 4-3 base but also use a lot of 4-2-5 (which is one of my favorite).

Nickel?

#27 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

But the Panthers have a killer 3-4 defense on Madden?! It must work.

#28 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

A lot of teams use the 4-2-5... It's your nickel package...

#29 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,275 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Nickel?

As one of our base defenses though, so we just stick with the traditional 4-2-5 name.

#30 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,275 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

A lot of teams use the 4-2-5... It's your nickel package...

We use it as a base package though, because it's easier to adjust out of. Just stick a quick linebacker in there instead of say a player like (Captain Munnerlyn) and you can easily adjust to the offenses formation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com