Photo
- - - - -

Worst week in parenting so far in 5 years....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

So my wife and I wake Madison (our 5 year old) to get ready for school last Monday. Madison takes a shower, while we get her backpack, lunch made, and lay out her clothes for the day. She gets done with her shower, and comes in the living room to get her clothes on so my wife can brush her hair.

My wife gets done brushing her hair out, and tells Madison to turn around to see how she looks. The moment she turned around, her eyes rolled in the back of her head, and she fell to the floor and started to convulse. This lasted for about 6 seconds. It was the most shocking, helpless feeling we have had. I mean what can you do besides put a pillow under her head?

She came to and started to cry saying "that she fell asleep and fell in the floor."

We called 911 and paramedics arrived in less that 10 minutes. They asked her if she wanted to ride in the ambulance and get checked out. She wanted to ( so did we.)

Come to find out she has been having "absence seizures" for quite a while now. She has episodes where she can be sitting on the couch watching TV and we ask her something, but she just looks at you with this blank confused stare. All along we thought it was her hearing. This is the first time she has actually "seized up" and man was it scary.

Also our 1 month old boy was admitted to the hospital today because he has RSV. So that just made it much better.

TLDR....this week has sucked enormously.

#2 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Forgot to mention this about absence seizures. The doctor said its a different form of seizure that happens in kids. It doesn't necessarily involve convulsions. But it can as well. She has been "zoning out" like that for a couple of years now.

#3 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Have you tried giving her a gun to see if that fixes the problem?

#4 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Seriously man? You apparently have no kids. Thanks though.

#5 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,403 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Absence seizures are nothing to worry about. Just fill her in on what she missed. I'm being serious - that's what paramedics are taught about dealing with them.

As far as the convulsions, don't try to hold her while she's convulsing. It'll cause further injury. Make sure she doesn't swallow her tongue while she's out. Being that she's 5, you may have to hyperextend her neck slightly to keep her breathing (place her head as if she's looking up).

#6 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Absence seizures are nothing to worry about. Just fill her in on what she missed. I'm being serious - that's what paramedics are taught about dealing with them.

As far as the convulsions, don't try to hold her while she's convulsing. It'll cause further injury. Make sure she doesn't swallow her tongue while she's out. Being that she's 5, you may have to hyperextend her neck slightly to keep her breathing (place her head as if she's looking up).

Thanks man. I appreciate your input. I figured I would post this here for a little support because all I got from posting on FB is "sending prayers your way!" stuff. It doesn't help us right now.

#7 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

The only positive from this situation is she didn't make it to school. I'm glad this episode happened here in the house. Plus the fire dept is almost a mile away from here.

#8 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,455 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your kids that would have freaked me the fug out....

I hope everything turns out well for you and your family.

#9 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

It's freaky stuff man. I was in shock blaming the way
Amanda was brushing her hair.
Although in my heart I knew its something else .

#10 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,681 posts
  • LocationUNC Chapel Hill & Wilmington

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

Actually, one of my old neighbors had the same thing. The little dude would just blank out sometimes, but his body wouldn't really be affected. Once he was chilling in the middle of our little street when a car was coming, but he was just standing still until he came around. Strange how that can happen.

#11 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

One of my roommates in college was epiletic.(sp) He never had seizures, but he would space out every so often. We'd being cards, or we'd be eating dinner. He just get this bank look for several minutes. I was always scared he'd do this while he was driving. (Never happened as far as I know.) 1/2 the time I never knew it. His doctor wanted him to keep a log when he had these episodes,

I hope your daughter turns out alright.

#12 TheAmericanDream

TheAmericanDream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

Dumbest post of the year.

#13 TheAmericanDream

TheAmericanDream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

I hope everything goes well for your kids!

#14 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,774 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

damn dude thats scary. i'll have a daughter in about five months so this stuff messes with my head. hope everything works out

#15 Rocky

Rocky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

i only have a daughter that is 2 1/2 years old, and the course of her life so far has taught me a lot. one thing inparticular is that the feeling you had while it was happening, is one of the worst feelings ever.

my nephew has the same condition, it was known to us that he would zone out every now and again but when he came to stay with us last year, his new teacher knew what it was a week after he started school. thankfully though, hes never had a convulsion.

mr belding said it best, so God forbid it happens again take his advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.