28 replies to this topic

#16 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm pretty sure the real reason our OP wants the players to stay quiet is because he's afraid ownership might listen to them.

To be honest though, he should listen (for good or ill).

No, I just think an unhappy atmosphere causes problems and when that happens, people get shipped off

#17 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,322 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

No, I just think an unhappy atmosphere causes problems and when that happens, people get shipped off

Well, since you don't want the players to be unhappy and since we know the players support keeping Rivera, I guess that means you hope we keep Rivera too. Right?

#18 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the real reason our OP wants the players to stay quiet is because he's afraid ownership might listen to them.

To be honest though, he should listen (for good or ill).

Have it ever crossed your mind that some of the players want to stay competent. They feel like Rivera would let them slide with somethings, they feel that they can relax. A lot of those guys didn't want Marty Hurney to go either. But we all knew that it would be a mistake for him to stay any longer. Players don't want change, they want to stay in a comfort zone. This has been a problem with Dallas for years.

#19 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • 6,341 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Players don't want change, they want to stay in a comfort zone.

If this is the case, then do you really want those players on your team?

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,322 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Have it ever crossed your mind that some of the players want to stay competent. They feel like Rivera would let them slide with somethings, they feel that they can relax. A lot of those guys didn't want Marty Hurney to go either. But we all knew that it would be a mistake for him to stay any longer. Players don't want change, they want to stay in a comfort zone. This has been a problem with Dallas for years.

Steve Smith is one of the players who has spoken out strongly in favor of keeping Ron Rivera.

Read that paragraph you just wrote, and then see if you can convince me that it could describe Steve Smith.

#21 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Steve Smith is one of the players who has spoken out strongly in favor of keeping Ron Rivera.

Read that paragraph you just wrote, and then see if you can convince me that it could describe Steve Smith.

I can't single out Steve Smith like that. It's a team sport and I was talking about just players on the team in general not just one in particular. Bill Belichick is a coach who always keeps players on there toes. If they are not playing up to high standards they get traded or cut. Rivera isn't that type of guy so that's another reason why I believe players relax.

#22 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,322 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

I can't single out Steve Smith like that. It's a team sport and I was talking about just players on the team in general not just one in particular. Bill Belichick is a coach who always keeps players on there toes. If they are not playing up to high standards they get traded or cut. Rivera isn't that type of guy so that's another reason why I believe players relax.

Here are the other players (that I know of) who have publicly said they want Rivera back:

- Thomas Davis
- Charles Johnson
- Greg Hardy
- Greg Olsen

There are probably others, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Do any of those guys fit the description of players that just want a coach who'll take it easy on them?

And let's remember that Rivera cut Terrell McClain (3rd round pick) Olindo Mare' (guy he brought in with a big contract) and Justin Medlock (guy he replaced Mare' with). He also benched DeAngelo Williams, Sione Fua and Joe Adams and is set to move Jon Beason outside against his wishes.

I'm not seeing a guy who goes easy on underperformers.

#23 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Thats not how I see it. They want to compete and win.

#24 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Here are the other players (that I know of) who have publicly said they want Rivera back:

- Thomas Davis
- Charles Johnson
- Greg Hardy
- Greg Olsen

There are probably others, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Do any of those guys fit the description of players that just want a coach who'll take it easy on them?

And let's remember that Rivera cut Terrell McClain (3rd round pick) Olindo Mare' (guy he brought in with a big contract) and Justin Medlock (guy he replaced Mare' with). He also benched DeAngelo Williams, Sione Fua and Joe Adams and is set to move Jon Beason outside against his wishes.

Ok, even though you don't see it the way I see it, it still doesn't justify why Rivera should stay. Beating the Chargers, Raiders, and the Falcons which is a team that came out and said they didn't care about that game doesn't say the team has changed a new leaf. I think Rivera is a little too late. If we could've beat Denver, Tampa bay, and KC then I would say yeah we are trending upwards but we didn't so that's why I believe Rivera is benefiting from a cupcake schedule.

#25 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,506 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

How dare these guys express their opinions about something that directly affects them :rolleyes:

Exactly. That should only be reserved for idiots on a message board for which the decision has absolutely no bearing in their lives

#26 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,506 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

- Thomas Davis
- Charles Johnson
- Greg Hardy
- Greg Olsen

And not to mention that he also benched Josh Norman.

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,322 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ok, even though you don't see it the way I see it, it still doesn't justify why Rivera should stay. Beating the Chargers, Raiders, and the Falcons which is a team that came out and said they didn't care about that game doesn't say the team has changed a new leaf. I think Rivera is a little too late. If we could've beat Denver, Tampa bay, and KC then I would say yeah we are trending upwards but we didn't so that's why I believe Rivera is benefiting from a cupcake schedule.

What does that have to do with players supporting him?

#28 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

What does that have to do with players supporting him?

Like I said in one of my posts before that a lot of players want to stay competent. Just because they support him that doesn't mean that he is the right direction to go. A lot of them supported Hurney and wanted him to stay over Rivera. Charles Johnson tweeted that they fired the wrong guy. Those guys are professionals they not going to stand out in the public eye and say they want somebody fired.

#29 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Seriously you already know a new GM is coming. We had players who made it clear they didn't like the Hurney move. Don't make him feel unwelcome cause you best believe he will have his view on things. He will have his view on coaches and he'll have his view on players

Change is definitely need. 4-5 straight losing seasons. Winning games at the end after you're already under .500 and out of contention isn't acceptable period

I wish you did not speak on the topic either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com