Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regarding Ron Rivera...why would next year be any different?

58 posts in this topic

Posted

We'll go 8-8 at best

Posted

I haven't seen anything thus far that makes me think Rivera can coach anything but a mediocre team.

Posted

Pending on this next game, if he wins. For me personally, I'd say give him one more year. See if he's learned anything from this past season. See if he actually gets people ready for the SEASON'S start! Instead of getting it during the middle of the season.

Getting a new coach will bring in new schemes, new systems. That's what I'd hate to do, hitting the reset button and having Cam start from scratch all over again. I'm not doubting Cam's abilities to learn a new system. I'd just like to see if Cam can do much much more now with basically 2 1/2 years in the same system. First year doesn't count, no offseason at all. No mini Camp, etc. That's another thing people forget about and don't want to cut Rivera some slack for that. Most will be quick to point out that Harbaugh had the same adversities as Rivera and got their team ready. Honestly the 49ers had a very talented team to begin with and their Defense carried them to the playoffs. Ours not so much, too many injuries and new scheme and all that.

I'm willing to give Rivera one more year, it's playoffs or bust though.

Posted

To me, I lean toward giving him a chance because

a) Last season was the first for everybody, plus I don't thin our personnel was as good last year.

B) 2011: 18 players on IR

c) 2012: see (B) above

d) Team seems to be gelling well now

e) Coaches have a learning curve too

f) JR has always given his HCs three seasons to get it right. I don't see him doing differently now

g) New GM should be able to help with talent and keeping organization (coaches, players, etc.) on point

Posted

What's up witht eh smilies when I type a "b"?

Posted

PEOPLE LEARN!!!! Players can improve, but coaches cant? Beat the saints and stay, lose and go. Simple as that Ron.

Posted

There's a lot of talk that Ron Rivera has shown enough in the past few games to warrant keeping his job one more year. Granted, the team is playing well right now. A three game winning streak is nothing to sneeze at. But why should we think 2013 is going to go any different than 2012 or 2011?

The 2011 and 2012 seasons are mirror images of each other in terms of team performance. In 2011 the team lost a lot of close games early in the season (many due to defensive meltdowns) but finished strong by feasting on a weak schedule late in the year. 2012 is shaping up to finish the same way. The 2012 team lost a lot of close games, and several due to defensive meltdowns. Both teams beat a playoff contender late in the year (Houston in 2011, Atlanta in 2012). Only way it could change is if the Panthers manage to scrape together a win against the Saints in the Superdome.

Why, after two seasons of the exact same trends, should we as fans think that the team will perform any different next year? Because Cam will be a year older/more mature and have another year in the system? Because a new GM is going to bring in better talent than Hurney did? Because Ron Rivera took a long time to figure out how to win as an NFL head coach and the third years the charm? I'd love to be wrong but I just see 2013 being the same as 2012 and 2011 if Ron Rivera stays...why should we think anything will change?

tl;dr - If Ron Rivera remains HC of the Panthers in 2013, why should we as fans expect the results to be any different than the previous two seasons. What would change?

Because hopefully we will have a new OC. One who doesn't enjoy seeing the read option as much.

Posted

Nothing would change IMO, late in close games he is losing his mind. He has to go.

Posted

cam is a nfl QB,if he has to learn a new system, than he will. he will put the time and effort into it, thats a lame excuse for keeping an average coach.

Posted

You have to give him at least one more year out of sheer continuity. In year 3 we have a better sample size of what he is capable or incapable of doing.

If anything, keeping the current staff intact with a new GM can actually buy the new GM time. If they blow up the team and it's the new GM's baby it all falls on that guy right out of the gate.

This may be JR's toughest offseason this upcoming one. Many coaches who have been succesful were on thin ice in year 2 or 3 and the owner/GM's stuck with them and it paid off. Knowing when to cut your losses and when to stay the course in pro sports is super tough.

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe I'm overstating it, but the team has talent. I don't think Hurney was the issue. Yes, a few bounces go the other way, maybe the team wins a few more games. But maybe they don't.

I look at the Bears game, when Ron Rivera admitted he called the soft zone coverage on the final drive when the Bears walked down the field and scored to win the game at the end. Rivera didn't use the final timeout he had when the Bears kept running the same play up and down the field. Good coaching?

Hurney defender or you just want to spread the blame around?

And we need to pull the plug now while we have the perfect opportunity...I just don't see Rivera improving into a playoff-caliber coach next season. Most people might not like it, but we need complete turnover. New GM, New Head Coach, New attitude. We screwed the pooch with Hurney and Rivera, time to admit those mistakes and move into a new direction.

Posted

<------------- ambivalent as long as we get a new GM and he has his way with coach selection

2 people like this