Photo
- - - - -

Regarding Ron Rivera...why would next year be any different?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#25 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

i dont expect it to be any different...that's why it is so frustrating coming on the huddle and seeing so many people wanting to give rivera another year...we are winning meaningless games against scrub teams

#26 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

Blazing Trails Thru the NFC South

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

All teams that did indeed have pretty good talent, and all of which play in pretty crappy divisions.

You can debate talent vs coaching for the Panthers, but a weak division is something we definitely don't have the good fortune to be in.

One team in the NFC South will finish over .500 this year.
At 6-9 we challenge for 2nd place.

#27 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I admit to some mixed feelings on this issue. What Ron and his staff has done with our defense has been exemplary, and I hate the thought of changes on that side of the ball. On the other hand, our offense was so mismanaged for the first half of the year that I don't know if I will ever regain faith in our offensive staff. And yes, Ron, like it or not, you bear responsibility for that side of the ball too.

There are a couple other things that bother me regarding coaching:

1) Watching our special teams on extra point and field goal attempts by the opposing teams, I see players just going through the motions. We never seem to make any extra effort to block or disrupt a kick. Yes, these are low percentage plays, but teams are so close in this league that every single edge counts. If our guys half-ass these plays, maybe they are giving less than 100% in other areas.

2) Ron has a bit too much John Fox in him, in that he tends to stick with certain players too long. I saw this as a problem last year with Naanee and McClain and Fua. This year, it was sticking with an underperforming Beason until there was no choice but to put him on IR. We stick with Nakamura virtually all year, then when he goes out, we see an instant improvement by inserting DJ Campbell and moving Godfrey to FS. We stuck with Norman too long, imo, as well. Seeing what Thomas has done after Gamble went out, it is clear he should have been playing opposite Gamble early while Norman got his reps in practice. Ron seems to only make changes once he's backed into a corner.

I just don't see us ever having a complete team with Ron at the helm.

#28 unicar15

unicar15

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

The Steelers are perennial contenders who had a lousy season largely because Cowher's mind was on retirement. The Packers were also pretty good too but had a crappy 2005. I'll give you that the Saints had a miraculous turnaround with the addition of Payton and Brees, but that's not the norm.

I don't want Newton having to start from scratch in a new system just as he's hitting his stride in this one.

This team is not all about Cam Newton. I would argue that that mindset from the current coaching staff is one of their biggest problems. They basically put this team on his shoulders and its not working.

We need a more balanced approach on offense and a HC that doesn't suck with critical situations. Bottom line is that Rivera has only beaten bottom-feeders since he got here. He has ONE quality win...

#29 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Based on what we have seen so far after two years:

If you are looking for someone with fair to bad game time decision making capabilities, Ron's your man.

If you aren't particularly concerned with offensive performance for 6-8 games at a stretch, Ron's your man.

If you are a traditionalist at heart and long for the good old days of 500 Fox ball, Ron's your man.

If you enjoy watching a team overestimate itself against weak competition like Kansas City, Ron's your man.

If you catch yourself fondly reminiscing about our slow starts out-the-gate these last two years, Ron's your man.

If you find that the anticipation of the Panthers partaking in playoff games is just too stressful to handle during the holidays, Ron's your man.

#30 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

Blazing Trails Thru the NFC South

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

The Steelers are perennial contenders who had a lousy season largely because Cowher's mind was on retirement. The Packers were also pretty good too but had a crappy 2005. I'll give you that the Saints had a miraculous turnaround with the addition of Payton and Brees, but that's not the norm.

I don't want Newton having to start from scratch in a new system just as he's hitting his stride in this one.

Wait, what?
Can you provide a link so I can read up on this?
Quite an interesting opinion.

#31 Rags

Rags

help

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Maybe I'm overstating it, but the team has talent. I don't think Hurney was the issue.

huh

well

Let's look at that, shall we

Since 2007, we've drafted 49 players, out of those players, only 24 are still on the team, and of those 24. 24! That's a really small number.And only 14 of them have started more than 3 games this season, with mixed results from them.

#32 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

This thread is definite "reset button" mentality.

I'm not necessarily sold on the notion that Rivera is 'the man', though I do think he's showing improvement now. I'm less sold, however, on the idea that if we haven't built a perennial contender in two years, we need to jettison the coaching staff and start over.

That's the Raider way of doing business. It's not how you build a successful team.

#33 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

There's a lot of talk that Ron Rivera has shown enough in the past few games to warrant keeping his job one more year. Granted, the team is playing well right now. A three game winning streak is nothing to sneeze at. But why should we think 2013 is going to go any different than 2012 or 2011?

The 2011 and 2012 seasons are mirror images of each other in terms of team performance. In 2011 the team lost a lot of close games early in the season (many due to defensive meltdowns) but finished strong by feasting on a weak schedule late in the year. 2012 is shaping up to finish the same way. The 2012 team lost a lot of close games, and several due to defensive meltdowns. Both teams beat a playoff contender late in the year (Houston in 2011, Atlanta in 2012). Only way it could change is if the Panthers manage to scrape together a win against the Saints in the Superdome.

Why, after two seasons of the exact same trends, should we as fans think that the team will perform any different next year? Because Cam will be a year older/more mature and have another year in the system? Because a new GM is going to bring in better talent than Hurney did? Because Ron Rivera took a long time to figure out how to win as an NFL head coach and the third years the charm? I'd love to be wrong but I just see 2013 being the same as 2012 and 2011 if Ron Rivera stays...why should we think anything will change?

tl;dr - If Ron Rivera remains HC of the Panthers in 2013, why should we as fans expect the results to be any different than the previous two seasons. What would change?

Agree with everything you said. I think most fans feel the same. Its really hard to think that anything would change. Its been the same thing the last two season; same ole crap.

"Why should we as fans expect the results to be any different than the previous two seasons. What would change?" If we use to Free Agency and Draft wisely to fill our needs a DT, FS, CB, WR, and RG.

#34 grateflday

grateflday

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

if the choice is a cooridinator or college coach then I will stick with Rivera for another year....... if its a former winning NFL HC, I will go with that.

#35 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I don't trust a Ron Rivera team. If the Raiders had a real QB we probably would have got blown out. That's a scary though if you ask me.

#36 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

I think people believe we can just stick our existing players in a completely new system and they'll absorb and adapt to it immediately.

It's generally not that easy.

This is the reason why I think another year with Rivera given the players on the team would be a better move than not. But if we start dumping players for other players I think a new coach is needed. I think its easier to keep him, but better to let him go (in the long run).

Players sure like playing for him, but that did not save Fox.