556 replies to this topic

#31 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,670 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Has anyone's opinion ever changed by posting on/reading this forum?

JUST from this forum? no, but i frequent this section a lot to get varying viewpoints on a given issue. there's a pretty broad variety of backgrounds and ideologies that provide unique slants on things. i tend to judge the arguments for their logical soundness and i'd be a fool if i didn't admit they have had some affect on my opinions. that's what abandoning concrete socialized ideology does for you.

#32 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I suspect it happens more often than people will admit, weak arguments on this board are shot down quickly. Though I think the people who post most often tend to be the more stubborn ones

#33 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Posted Image

Guntoting Gandhi and Supply-side Jesus= BFFs

#34 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

piers morgan was complaining about gun control advocates.

the petition thing the white house has is cute, nice idea, but come on. who the hell wants to listen to the average american? ugh.

I wonder if Obama ever considered the fact it would become a forum for deporting people, advocating secession, or his own impeachment? lol.

don't forget building a death star.

#35 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

i think it familiarizes people with other viewpoints... over time... slowly... or at least it did in the bad old days...

it helps people better understand others' opinions, even if they don't agree with them outright.

#36 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,149 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

my main problem with the webz debates is our patience is lowered and our e confidence/arrogance rises.

when you can actually sit down and talk/debate with someone over a beer or three and see the body language and facial expressions, then you make some headway.

not saying people can't change their mind on things on fb or the huddle but it's hard with the keyboard vacum going on.

#37 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

with debates/discussion between people with strong opinions the purpose isnt to necessarily convince "the other side"

it's for those people lurkin that might not feel strongly either way because they're not well versed on the issue

#38 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

my main problem with the webz debates is our patience is lowered and our e confidence/arrogance rises.

when you can actually sit down and talk/debate with someone over a beer or three and see the body language and facial expressions, then you make some headway.

not saying people can't change their mind on things on fb or the huddle but it's hard with the keyboard vacum going on.

it's also hard when most of the decent posters in this place are gone. honestly, i just get tired of having the same arguments over and over again.

#39 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Posted Image

#40 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

who were the 'good' tinderbox posters?

#41 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,149 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

yeah. and since we are still here, does that mean we are not, ahem, good? lol

#42 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,149 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

i have instituted happy hours or dif social functions for companies. and it's always strategic. if i sense morale is low i will plan something but mainly its to bring two groups, whether internally or externally who have to work together but may as well be on a dif planet on how one views the other.

time and again, just letting people get away from the office and create an enviroment where they can speak freely, the productivity of the conversations go up. not to mention when you see them at work there is a dif connection as opposed to oh God there is Chouncey from Accounting while Chouncey goes there is that nimrod Chapman from processing.

like i always say. contrarians win.

#43 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I can name about 5 posters that posted a lot but now don't. Two of them I would consider 'good'.

(RIP engine9 and cookinwithgas)

#44 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

who were the 'good' tinderbox posters?

i don't know if "good" is the right word... but there used to be a good-bit more comradery in here... and significantly less insanity and bullshiat, one-upmanship. And i'm talking about 8-10 years ago or so... jesus, i've been around this place too long. Maybe it's just that the community was smaller then so you knew who you were talking to so maybe people took more time to actually invest in the conversation... I dunno, it was different.

E-9 is gone, cookin' is mostly gone, duekster was fun, meat is mostly gone, salty, rodeo doesn't post much, fiz (though rarely friendly, WAS good)... there were others... like i said "good" probably isn't the right word, but it was a hell of a lot friendlier.

#45 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Honestly, I feel that before this election cycle (edit: but I don't recall what it was like in 2008), this place was a little less extreme on both sides... Maybe that was just perception though, I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com