18 replies to this topic

#1 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Top 8 defense without Gamble, AND Beason? McDermott, the defensive backs coach, and the defensive line coach have done damn well.

#2 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

The Kuechly effect

#3 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Obviously the defense this season is light years above the defense with had last season.

The coaching staff deserves credit.

Let's be honest here though. The defense has been on an entirely different level since Luke moved into the starting MLB spot.

#4 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Obviously the defense this season is light years above the defense with had last season.

The coaching staff deserves credit.

Let's be honest here though. The defense has been on an entirely different level since Luke moved into the starting MLB spot.

The pass-rush and coverage has been good as well. Come on now, James Dockery and Josh Thomas as our starting corners? And we have the 8th overall passing defense?

#5 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

There definitely needs to be some credit given.

Something has to be said on how Rivera hasn't lost his team. These guys are still playing for him, and for his job. Even Munnerlyn mentioned that, and he's been moved out of starting roles here and there and still defends him.

As much as I'd like someone like Andy Reid to come in here, I can't help feeling that Rivera may be one of those guys that if we let go, becomes really successful somewhere.

#6 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I like what they've done with our defense a lot as the season has progressed. The only issue was not making certain personel moves earlier on in the season. Like Mr. Td said, since Keek made the move and really took the bull by the horns leadership wise W/ DAVIS, the team has really been cranked up. Watching our games, I think something that people don't talk about enough is how much Luke and Davis feed off each other and how well they communicate with the defense as a whole. Its been quite remarkable as of late.

Also, every year there is always the few backups that come in and look good, get a bandwagon, but never really amount to much. Pretty much like the Drew Carters, Sherrard Martins, etc. if you get my drift but I think we actually do have something in DJ Campbell and Josh Thomas. The good thing is that it's not a few plays here and there that have made them stand out but their consistency and strong play throughout the game's entirety.

Also, I remember threads when Rivera was hired showing how in SD and Chicago it took him 3 years in both places to take a poor defense and make them the #1 defense in the league. He's got us to 8 in 2 and like someone mentioned hasn't lost the locker room. I think if we get a former HC with a strong offensive mind to help Chud *Norv cough*, that would be a set-up I'm completely fine with for next year.

#7 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,124 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Having a good D line takes a lot of pressure of those DB's back there also. Our schedule had a little bit to do with our ranking also.

#8 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,124 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Having a good D line takes a lot of pressure of those DB's back there also. Our schedule had a little bit to do with our ranking also.

#9 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

The pass-rush and coverage has been good as well. Come on now, James Dockery and Josh Thomas as our starting corners? And we have the 8th overall passing defense?

right and the staff deserves a pat on the back for the play. But like I said man, since Luke has stepped inside the defense has been playing on a different level.

How many sacks did GH/CJ have before and after the Luke switch?

#10 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

There definitely needs to be some credit given.

Something has to be said on how Rivera hasn't lost his team. These guys are still playing for him, and for his job. Even Munnerlyn mentioned that, and he's been moved out of starting roles here and there and still defends him.

As much as I'd like someone like Andy Reid to come in here, I can't help feeling that Rivera may be one of those guys that if we let go, becomes really successful somewhere.

Rivera needs to bring someone like Norv Turner in as an OC.

I'd love Reid here as the OC but that guy doesn't strike me as someone who would want to take a demotion. He'll probably get a job right off the bat as a HC somewhere.

#11 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 870 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

The final game against the Saints will be the ultimate test for this defense. We'll see if this their progression is legit or just a fluke due to the level of competition over the last few weeks. I'm cautiously optimistic.

#12 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Eric Washington has done an incredible job with our d-line. He's gotten career years out of Hardy and Dwan Edwards, he has Frank Alexander contributing in his 1st year, and even Frank Kearse looks much improved.

On the backside, Thomas has come in and played well enough that I see no way we could justify keeping Gamble around at $10 million a year. DJ Campbell has so far played the SS position as well or better than Godfrey. In short, just about all our defensive players are playing up to or above their abilities.

Contrast that, for example, with how our starting o-line played for the first part of the year, or the way our running backs have played for most of the year.

Talent is important, but the impact of good coaching is consistently underrated.

#13 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Keek, TD, Hardy, CJ, Dwan. All undervalued by the league at large, although Keek is getting a lot of attention lately. The rest are doing a fine job filling the gaps left by our original starters, I'm particularly happy with the play of DJ Campbell and Josh Thomas.

#14 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,346 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

The only real glaring spot to me this season has been safety. Everyone else stepped up.

Keek and TD played insane... so did CJ and Hardy. The Edwards bros at DT played very well as well.

We all saw what happened when they were both out...

#15 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Once Chud's head was partially removed from his anus we improved considerably on offense.

Unfortunately, I don't think it can be removed completely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com