Photo
- - - - -

Lombardi think Rivera will be gone Monday.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#71 0115

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I will wait till JR says it himself. He said hes looking for progress right?

I think he is now,” Rivera said. “I think early on this year we were doing a lot of things and trying to find certain things. He’s really grasped a lot of the concepts we have now and I think that signifies his development.

#72 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Don't care about the late season rallies. Should have seen more early on. I hope Rivera is canned ASAP.

#73 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

It's Thursday, guess he was wrong.

#74 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm glad Lombardi offered his opinion, but I'm still waiting to see what NJPanther has to say.

#75 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think if he'd gone 8-8 and won any one of those close games that we lost jaw-dropping at the last second he'd be here in 2013, especially with defensive improvements.

I'd be shocked if he was here Monday.

#76 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I think he gets one more year, as much as anything because the new GM is already going to have draft prep, scouting staff organization and a cap apocalypse to deal with, so why add a new coach hire to that already full plate?

Granted, River being let go is a definite possibility, but given everything else there is that needs fixing, I'm not so sure it'd be the smart move right now.

#77 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• LocationChina Grove, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I still think that a bulk of the decision on what to do with Rivera will be made by the new GM / influenced by the recommendations from Accorsi. It feels like it would be a mistake to me to go after any good GM and tell them up front they will have zero input on their head coach. To that end I do not think he will be gone Monday but I also don't think him still being employed on Monday will say anything about his future with the team.

We may well see Rivera back for another year but if we do I think (hope?) it will be because the new GM is on board with giving him the additional time...not because it was forced down their throat.

#78 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

My hunch says he stays. We likely won't have a GM until late January and then it's a bit late to jump in the coach hunting game.

#79 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

I still think that a bulk of the decision on what to do with Rivera will be made by the new GM / influenced by the recommendations from Accorsi. It feels like it would be a mistake to me to go after any good GM and tell them up front they will have zero input on their head coach. To that end I do not think he will be gone Monday but I also don't think him still being employed on Monday will say anything about his future with the team.

We may well see Rivera back for another year but if we do I think (hope?) it will be because the new GM is on board with giving him the additional time...not because it was forced down their throat.

Agreed.

Said before I could see a meeting with Rivera as part of the process (doesn't mean he'd have input, though).

#80 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

HUDDLER

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Keeping Rivera and some of the staff might give the GM even more power in the long run. If he keeps Rivera and it works out, he looks like a genius. If he keeps him and it doesn't work out, he says "Well they were 'trending up' in 2012, now I need to bring in my own guy". If he fires Rivera...and the new coach doesn't pan out...everyone is wondering "Well what if he kept Rivera?"

Whatever the decision is, it looks like keeping Rivera is the safer one of the two for a new GM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users