Photo
- - - - -

Lombardi think Rivera will be gone Monday.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#106 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

I have to keep reminding myself that Cam is in the South and there are those who still see a confident kid like him as a threat and needs to be "kept in check." There is simply no other excuse for this sort of unwarranted atttitude towards this young man.

I would love to see how you would have handled yourself in the same situation. I'm sure you'd be the type who would not only go after the Ref but sue the NFL Organization because in your mind, the Refs weren't doing their jobs. Clearly, freedom to be and act human doesn't apply to everyone in some folks minds.

this is the second post you've made charging racism towards someone criticizing Cam.

I think you need to move on.

#107 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Today's press conference with RR should be intresting. Joe Person in his usual Office Space Lumberg voice.. "Soo Ron, Michael Lombardi said lastnight You will be fired Monday. Have you heard anything inside on that?" Thats going to be awkward

#108 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Today's press conference with RR should be intresting. Joe Person in his usual Office Space Lumberg voice.. "Soo Ron, Michael Lombardi said lastnight You will be fired Monday. Have you heard anything inside on that?" Thats going to be awkward

It's not going to be awkward.....He's answered this question for a month now.

He has stated that he speaks with JR every week (unless something unusual happens) to discuss the goings on with the team.

and that they will meet at seasons end to discuss his future with the team.

end of discussion.

#109 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

If I am Rivera, I argue for my job this way:
We have talent, but we have holes that Hurney never successfully addressed--DT, WR, CB, and OL are pretty significant aspects. Who is the last good linemen we brought in--Ryan Kalil? When did we last sign a qualitiy CB? Gamble? When did Marty Hurney EVER bring in a top WR? NEVER (Smith was here when he came aboard). DT? Corvey Irvin? Sione Fua? Terrell McLain? Ron Edwards? Louis Leonard? Tank Tyler? Frank Kearse? Undrafted FAs Neblett? Chandler?

I would add this: When the team sees the GM rewarding players with top contracts after underperforming and losing seasons, what motivates the others?

If I were RR, I would argue that Hurney's mess will take years to fix. Bad contracts that strapped the cap (DWill, Godfrey, Johnson, Beason, etc.) were all overpaid.

I will still go out on a limb and say this team problem has more to do with the underlinging lack of discipline. Nothing makes a team play hard then when folks seriously realize their job is on the line. Especially when there seems to be an attitude of complacency with the team to begin with.

From the time I came to this site, it seem the only postion with the most pressure to play well is the QB position. Everyone else gets to simply play decent and keep their day jobs. Vets are never asked to step up like on other teams and more pressure is place on rookies than anyone else. That attitude needs to change.

Maybe Rivera is a bit too laid back for a team whose problem is I've been on this team for years, so my job is safe and I only have to concern myself with padding my stats. That attitude doesn't bode well for a new coach to come and demand things from those who have been there for years. Set an attitude of, no one's job is safe and complacency will not be tolerated, and you will see a different team.

#110 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

It's not going to be awkward.....He's answered this question for a month now.

He has stated that he speaks with JR every week (unless something unusual happens) to discuss the goings on with the team.

and that they will meet at seasons end to discuss his future with the team.

end of discussion.

That's not true. Rivera has said numerous times that he hasn't spoke to JR every since he was told the team needs to be trending upward. But he has also said Rivera has been supportive of the team so far.

#111 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

If I am Rivera, I argue for my job this way:
We have talent, but we have holes that Hurney never successfully addressed--DT, WR, CB, and OL are pretty significant aspects. Who is the last good linemen we brought in--Ryan Kalil? When did we last sign a qualitiy CB? Gamble? When did Marty Hurney EVER bring in a top WR? NEVER (Smith was here when he came aboard). DT? Corvey Irvin? Sione Fua? Terrell McLain? Ron Edwards? Louis Leonard? Tank Tyler? Frank Kearse? Undrafted FAs Neblett? Chandler?

I would add this: When the team sees the GM rewarding players with top contracts after underperforming and losing seasons, what motivates the others?

If I were RR, I would argue that Hurney's mess will take years to fix. Bad contracts that strapped the cap (DWill, Godfrey, Johnson, Beason, etc.) were all overpaid.

So, then I think JR asks, "How did those holes affect your ability to game manage, manage the clock, develop something that looks like and NFL 2 min drill, provide some discipline for the team, or win close games?

Hurney likely gone because he is responsible for RR. Wanted to see how Ron responded. No real change, this year looks like last year. I was hoping for more too.

#112 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Here is the thing. Unless the new GM is merely a figurehead, you don't have a major player on board who has a big stake in who is the coach going forward. It is really two decisions which is to fire Rivera and then find someone who is better. So you wouldn't be in haste to dump someone. They seem to be taking their time with the GM search and when that happens I suspect he will review all options and figure out what to do. Unless that has already been decided, which is also important for the GM to know. Who makes the personnel decisions and charts the course.

#113 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Why would he be fired straight away, Since the firing of hurney RR has turned the team round. If JR had already decided that RR was going, and that his production since hurney being fired didn't matter...then why did he not fire him at the same time... Surely if JR had no interest in retaining him then wouldnt it have more sense to find out what we had in our assistants?

Not saying its not going to happen, but it's quite illogical...

#114 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Why can't some people on this thread see the writing on the wall the RR is gone? The stats for the last two years are awful! He's gonna be gone people just wake up.

#115 carp24000

carp24000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Why can't some people on this thread see the writing on the wall the RR is gone? The stats for the last two years are awful! He's gonna be gone people just wake up.

This.

He will be fired on Monday. The giants will be
Out of the playoffs and marc Ross will be hired by next weekend. Ross and company will start interviewing head coaches and a new coach will be brought in by January 15th.

#116 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

This.

He will be fired on Monday. The giants will be
Out of the playoffs and marc Ross will be hired by next weekend. Ross and company will start interviewing head coaches and a new coach will be brought in by January 15th.

Sounds about right.

#117 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Rivera was probably as good as gone when Hurney got canned. Rarely do you see a GM replaced and the coach retained. The new GM doesn't want any part of the coach whose failures played a large role in creating the job opening that he just filled.

Makes sense to me. Bad mojo and a tradition of losing.

#118 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Why would he be fired straight away, Since the firing of hurney RR has turned the team round. If JR had already decided that RR was going, and that his production since hurney being fired didn't matter...then why did he not fire him at the same time... Surely if JR had no interest in retaining him then wouldnt it have more sense to find out what we had in our assistants?

Not saying its not going to happen, but it's quite illogical...

Still not completely sold we have turned it around after Hurney's firing. Broncos, Bears, Bucs, Chiefs. All those games lost since Hurney's firing

#119 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,265 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

I think Rivera will get one more year.

#120 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Looks like the Bills will be firing Chan Gailey after his third season. So much for the trending upward movement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com