no telling how much we're gonna pay him

#32 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,350 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Players will sign for less to play with Brady and Manning hoping to win a ring. I love Cam, but neither he nor the Panthers have proven a damn thing as far as swaying other players to come here in hopes of getting a ring.

Not to mention, it's typically older, past their prime players that go searching for rings, younger guys want that money. Especially with the new CBA. The NFL has a 3.5 year average career, yet rookies can't get paid until their fourth year. So that second contract for all these guys is going to be their nestegg contract, they will want to get paid. Fwiw I'm sure the huge cap hits that come from Beason, Gamble, Smitty and Gross amongst others will probably be gone by the time Cam needs to get paid. I can't say for sure, but most likely.

Exactly. I am talking way down the road when we are a perineal playoff team.

#33 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

No matter how much it pains some in our fanbase, he is going to get a fat fairly ridiculous contract. All of this is irrelevant though if we don't get the proper head coach in place to develop Cam.

No I don't think Rivera is or ever will be that guy, and damn sure Chud isn't.

#34 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,384 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have no doubt that he'll be the highest paid player in NFL history on his next contract, either here in Carolina or somewhere else. He's going to get a stupid amount of money. 5-6 years averaging about 23-25 million a season. lol...

#35 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Too soon for this thread...pretty bad homers posting stupid poo...

Cam hasn't shown anything more than potential at this point. Once he has a playoff appearance under his belt, some solid 4th quarter comebacks, ability to win even when he turns over the ball...then a new contract will be discussed. Until then there is no guarantee he'll even be in Carolina beyond his rookie deal.

#36 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Cam hasn't shown anything more than potential at this point. Once he has a playoff appearance under his belt, some solid 4th quarter comebacks, ability to win even when he turns over the ball...then a new contract will be discussed. Until then there is no guarantee he'll even be in Carolina beyond his rookie deal.

Right. Cam hasn't shown anything except for that time he had arguably the best rookie season by a NFL player ever.

#37 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Right. Cam hasn't shown anything except for that time he had arguably the best rookie season by a NFL player ever.

and that alone means he should be the highest paid ever before he even finishes his rookie contract?

#38 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Top tier players on the backside of their career will take less to try to get a ring.

The rest? They generally follow the money and/or do what is best for their family.

#39 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

and that alone means he should be the highest paid ever before he even finishes his rookie contract?

Is there a quote that says "CAM SHOULD BE THE HIGHEST PAID PLAYER EVER BEFORE HE FINISHES HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT"?

Because I missed that one. I'm just saying when the time comes for a new contract, I think it'll be the biggest one ever...until the season after when RG3 and Luck get bigger or equal one.

#40 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Cam has produced more offense than any player in NFL history through his first two seasons. Yards and TDs....no one has put up more offense as an individual.

4th q comebacks, game winning drives....often is a cloudy event. One that often has the QB getting plenty of help that then gets ignored after the fact. For example, how often has Cam gotten the ball back with no timeouts and a couple seconds on the clock and asked to drive the length of the field to score a game winning TD? Several.....guys who pull of comebacks aren't in rediculously shitty scenarios. Reality is they find themselves in situations like Andy Dalton did against Pitt last week

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

We know the deal isn't getting now or in the near future as in not before the end of his third year at the earliest. So lets see where he is at that point. If we have just come off of a playoff run then we are going to pay him and lock him for years to come hopefully with a huge signing bonus and small salaries for a couple of years so it works for the salary cap. If he didn't take us to the playoffs,we have to take a hard look at how good his intangibles are. Winning in the clutch making big plays when the pressure is on. Things Jake could do with half his talent. Imagine what we would have if Cam had Jake's ability to win on the big stage along with Newton's physicality to make the plays that Jake tried to make but didn't have the arm.

#42 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I have no doubt that he'll be the highest paid player in NFL history on his next contract, either here in Carolina or somewhere else. He's going to get a stupid amount of money. 5-6 years averaging about 23-25 million a season. lol...

Would think it might be between 7 and 10 years to be honest.

#43 The_Mango55

The_Mango55

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I'm not too concerned about 4th quarter comebacks. Aaron Rogers is terrible at 4th Q comebacks, but nobody knows or cares anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com