Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do not want Chip Kelly after this rumor....

128 posts in this topic

Posted

and the mind numbing comment was a response to a comment that it was mind numbing to think that a coach would want control over who is or isn't on his team. which coach wouldn't?

Well, duh! :D

Posted

All I'm saying is it's a legitimate question...it's not a no-brainer, so for Rayzor to call it mind-numbing that some would question it is just over the top.

not anymore over the top than thinking that a coach would want control over who was on his team is a mind-numbing idea.

Posted

All I'm saying is it's a legitimate question...it's not a no-brainer, so for Rayzor to call it mind-numbing that some would question it is just over the top.

And I have to take strong exception to your statement that because he has consulted with NFL teams, that automatically means he will be successful in the NFL. Many college coaches exchange info with pro teams, and coaches are always talking to each other. Just in the last two years, Bellicheck has brought in Saban, Kelly, and Urban Meyer. As to Kelly's contribution to NE's offense, it has largely been in helping them getting play calls in faster when they are in the no-huddle. It's not like they are running "his system" (at least what he currently runs at Oregon) as their base offense.

None of this is to say Kelly can't be a success in the league or that my mind is closed to him. I just don't understand those that think he is a slam dunk winner in the NFL. That is an unknown until he does it.

teaching a team to use one or two words to consistently get the play to the team on the line rather than huddling up or barking out a 5-10 word play call doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but some would consider it revolutionary, esp. the means in which it it's done. the league tends to make things more complicated than is necessary and it also is very resistant to change/evolution.

guys like belichek and sean payton and other more progressive coaches (that are actually copying what happens in college) wind up at the top because of their ability to adapt and change what is accepted/expected from traditional old school "pro-style" offense.

Posted

not anymore over the top than thinking that a coach would want control over who was on his team is a mind-numbing idea.

Our future brain trust...

Pinky_%26_The_Brain.jpg

Kelly and Beane

Posted

I think the risk is pretty much the same with Kelly as it would be in taking a coordinator from another team. It's all about the structure the coach puts around himself with his coordinators and so forth.

1 person likes this

Posted

Our future brain trust...

Pinky_%26_The_Brain.jpg

Kelly and Beane

that might actually be fitting. hopefully with a better success rate.

Posted

I think the risk is pretty much the same with Kelly as it would be in taking a coordinator from another team. It's all about the structure the coach puts around himself with his coordinators and so forth.

abso-frikkin-lutely.

Posted

I nominate rayzor as new GM

Posted

I nominate rayzor as new GM

lol you reeeeeaaaalllllyyy don't want that. i know it sounds like a brilliant idea and all because i seem so wicked smart, but really i'm just talking out of my ass.

Posted

For those who keep bringing up NE when talking on Kelly, if I could visualize Cam running the offense like Brady, I would say bring Kelly in yesterday. (Imagine a mobile Tom Brady) Yet I know what Kelly's offense will look like here. The same offense I've seen him run at Oregon. I envision Cam looking more like Darren Thomas/Marcus Mariota than Tom Brady.

Now I also keep hearing that Chip is going to adjust his offense to fit a more pro form, yet I wonder, has there been any presidence for this kind of transition before? Did another college coach in the past who ran something akin to the read option offense, make a successful transition to the pros?

Posted

For those who keep bringing up NE when talking on Kelly, if I could visualize Cam running the offense like Brady, I would say bring Kelly in yesterday. (Imagine a mobile Tom Brady) Yet I know what Kelly's offense will look like here. The same offense I've seen him run at Oregon. I envision Cam looking more like Darren Thomas/Marcus Mariota than Tom Brady.

Now I also keep hearing that Chip is going to adjust his offense to fit a more pro form, yet I wonder, has there been any presidence for this kind of transition before? Did another college coach in the past who ran something akin to the read option offense, make a successful transition to the pros?

You hear that he will change his offense is because he keeps saying that he would in the NFL that an offense is dictated by personal and that a good coach adapts his system to his players.

As for the college spread offense coach to the NFL, I can't think of any that were successful at it. Doesn't mean it can't be done though with how much the NFL has changed over the last 10 years or so.

Posted

the anti chip talk reminds me a lot of the anti cam talk.

It does doesn't it.