Photo
- - - - -

Do not want Chip Kelly after this rumor....

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

a guy in his spot who has a LOT to lose is very smart to want as much control as possible. You don't want to leave the empire he has built in the Great Northwest to a situation where your hands are tied.

It's not pure ego if you can actually get what you are asking for

#122 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,909 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

He runs the read option because it WORKS. If it didn't, then be wouldn't. This isn't Chud.

#123 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

He runs the read option because it WORKS. If it didn't, then be wouldn't. This isn't Chud.

It works at the college level. On this level it works on a limited basis. The true essence of the read option is the home run hit. It's not meant to be a main formation play, but something to keep defenses guessing. With Chip Kelly, I've never seen him run a play from a different formation. His whole offense is pretty much centered around lining up from the shotgun, and all of his runs are read option plays.

That is what will not work in the NFL. To have all your running plays coming from the read option. Now once again, Washington run their read option out of the pistol formation. If Kelly is going to have success with his offense, he would probably have to run something similar to Washington. Yet all in all, I want Cam to learn how to be a QB. I want him to learn the basics. Will Kelly teach him those things? I have my doubts.

#124 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,909 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

It works at the college level.

He's coaching a college team, believe it or not.

That's what I'm saying. He knows it won't work as well or the same. He's not dumb. Far from it.

#125 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,453 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

It works at the college level. On this level it works on a limited basis. The true essence of the read option is the home run hit. It's not meant to be a main formation play, but something to keep defenses guessing. With Chip Kelly, I've never seen him run a play from a different formation. His whole offense is pretty much centered around lining up from the shotgun, and all of his runs are read option plays.

That is what will not work in the NFL. To have all your running plays coming from the read option. Now once again, Washington run their read option out of the pistol formation. If Kelly is going to have success with his offense, he would probably have to run something similar to Washington. Yet all in all, I want Cam to learn how to be a QB. I want him to learn the basics. Will Kelly teach him those things? I have my doubts.

you still aren't getting it.

that isn't the essence of it.

yes...they run everything from that formation because they want the defense to expect it every play....which doesn't happen and which is why they are able to be so successful. just because they line up like they are going to run it doesn't mean they are. it's misdirection. they make it respectful enough and run it enough for it to be a legit threat. defenses overload the backfield trying to contain it and they are normally pretty successful at stopping it, at least eventually.

but it's while the defense is expecting it and trying to stop it that they leave themselves exposed to big non-read option plays that kelly has run...more traditional plays.

it's not the read option that makes it work. it's running the ball well. the read option is just another running play. they make the offense respect the running game and make it a threat that is constantly there and then take advantage of it.

he's said that they run the read option because it works for what they want to do, which is be physical and run the ball well enough that it funnels the energies of the defense in a direction that you want and use that against them. it's like judo. you use your opponents energy against them.

#126 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,729 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Word now that the Browns are pursuing him.

LaCanfora says they want to move quickly on their coaching search. Also said to be looking at Saban and Josh McDaniels.

#127 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,453 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

a guy in his spot who has a LOT to lose is very smart to want as much control as possible. You don't want to leave the empire he has built in the Great Northwest to a situation where your hands are tied.

It's not pure ego if you can actually get what you are asking for

agreed. he is going to fundamentally change the culture of a team he inherits. he has to have the personnel he needs to make it work and not everyone in the league can make it work.

some coaches can mold what they do to fit who they have. some coaches build a team around what they want to do. with kelly, i think the schemes will fit what he has on the team, but the frantic pace, endurance, and discipline needed to carry out his whole team concept of "hurry up" football requires people that aren't used to taking time off between plays on the field and wasting time in practice. he's got to have people that fit the culture he expects and players young enough to be molded into the type player he wants them to be.

i don't have a problem with this and i really don't believe he's wanting to handle all the cap stuff. he wants control over personnel. no one knows who he needs better than the coach. that's the case for 99% of the coaches out there.

#128 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,729 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Joe Banner's in charge in Cleveland. He used to work with Andy Reid in Philly. GM Tom Heckert is already out.

I could see the Browns as possibly a team that will give him what he wants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com