Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Other Guitar Players?

40 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't play, but with so many experienced players in here, I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I have always wanted to play - competently, that is. I got a Fender Strat Squire when I was like 12. Beautiful guitar, and I was told by a guitar teacher that those were actually the high quality versions before they were sold out and went to crap. Anyway, I still have it but hadn't turned it on for 10 years until last December and it had a hard time picking anything up through the amp consistently.

But, I wanted to ask, what is the best way for me to learn. And quickly? I've always wanted to play and feel that is a "burning desire" within me - to play and create music. I tried to learn through books when I was younger, but I lost patience and just quit. Even if I look at them now, it just frustrates me because I want to pick it up and play some Hendrix right off the bat, lol.

Any advice?

It depends on what you want to play.

If you want to be able to play whole radio rock songs relatively easy, just learn the bar E chord. You'll be able to play pretty much any rhythm guitar part for the last 20 years.

If you don't care about the technicalities of playing guitar, learn to read tablature. Basically all it does is tell you what fret # to hit on what string and when.

If you want to play some base 1-4-5 blues type stuff that can get technical like Hendrix and SRV, learn a few scales that you can just create riffs out of. As long as you stay within the scale, you can't really go wrong with improvisation this way.

Posted

The 1-4-5 stuff I was talking about, you can do runs like this guy is doing... which sound sexy but aren't really terribly technical

Posted

i want this amp. it's a granger m50-basically a hand wired plexi clone made by a small shop in birmingham, alabama:

sounds damn good to me and i'm not necessarily that big of a brown sound/eddie van halen fan. the base model is $1600 which is more than a grand less than the street prices you'll find for the actual marshall reissues.

Posted

I'm guitar player! Well I try anyways. I did have a pretty nice rig but fell on some troubles and had to get rid of everything. Slowly, however, I am piecing it back together. Here is the foundation:

IMG_1178_zps5b9dca62.jpg

In the future I'd love to get my hands on a Mesa Boogie Mark V, but until then I'm going to develop my backup rig.

Posted

i have a jackson dinky that i threw a dimarzio evolution and 2 single coils from an ibanez prestige. sounds great for what i've put into it

my real baby is a custom 1970s aria pro II bass with bar inlays on the frets that came from the japanese factory. sounds like a dream.

Posted

So, I got I've been actually really trying to sit down and get the hang of recording/drum programming and such. This is my first real take at it. It's just a simple progression, not really a "song" but yeah, figured you guys might have some recording advice or something.

I don't know how to just put the song file here, or if I even can.

Posted

So, I got I've been actually really trying to sit down and get the hang of recording/drum programming and such. This is my first real take at it. It's just a simple progression, not really a "song" but yeah, figured you guys might have some recording advice or something.

https://soundcloud.c...ells-16/james-2

I don't know how to just put the song file here, or if I even can.

Can I ask what program you're using?

I'd say for the first part and the ending, I'd bump up the ambient guitar riff a little in the mix, and tone down the hi-hat...

Also, if your program has a "swing" functionality to add to your loop, I would use that slightly... it offsets the timing by a hair to not make the notes sound so digitally placed and rigidly timed...

I'd also use a different sound for the rimshot sound or whatever it was... it is just a little too high pitched and wooden sounding to me...

Overall it is a great start though... It actually reminded me of some of the more subtle parts of BTBAM's earlier stuff...

Posted

actually, this was the exact song it kinda reminded me of...

Posted

What do you call a guitar player that just got dumped by his girlfriend?

Homeless.

How do you get a guitar player off your front porch?

Pay him for the pizza.

(sorry I had to)

1 person likes this

Posted

Those are bass player jokes and you know it!

Posted

yeah, everyone knows guitarists don't even have jobs

Posted

<iframe%20width=

Can I ask what program you're using?

I'd say for the first part and the ending, I'd bump up the ambient guitar riff a little in the mix, and tone down the hi-hat...

Also, if your program has a "swing" functionality to add to your loop, I would use that slightly... it offsets the timing by a hair to not make the notes sound so digitally placed and rigidly timed...

I'd also use a different sound for the rimshot sound or whatever it was... it is just a little too high pitched and wooden sounding to me...

Overall it is a great start though... It actually reminded me of some of the more subtle parts of BTBAM's earlier stuff...

pro tools 9. Plugging directly into the computer and using guitar rig 5 for the guitar stuff.

I'm gonna re do a lot of the drums later as well as try and actually flesh it out into a song/give it a real structure.

And BTBAM is fantastic. I could only ever wish to be a quarter of the guitarist as Paul Waggoner.

Oh, and as for the bass/guitar jokes...