Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DJ Cambell earn the right to start next season?

43 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't think his play time late in the season means anything and I don't think the NO game will solidify anything.

This is still garbage time, guys. We're just playing extra preseason games right now.

Posted

No big mistakes

Posted

Let's see how he does against Brees before we crown him.

Posted

He has given us an option. At this point in time we no longer "Have to have" a Strong Safety. Whether that is true for the long run? Who knows? But at this point in time. We are looking good. Isn't that what matters?

Posted

He played SS at Atl but has since been playing soley at .FS

I'm re-watching the Raiders game right now and he is playing SS, not FS.

Posted

What say u... i've seen enuff to give the guy first team reps next year. been impressive the way he finds the ball and better ball skills than everyone but martin so far.

outside of these positions- QB, C, 1WR, DE, DE, MLB....... there is no first team.

every other position should be up for grabs.

Posted

I'm re-watching the Raiders game right now and he is playing SS, not FS.

For the majority of the snaps? Pff usually is pretty accurate.

Posted

DJ has played well, but I'd like to see us pursue a veteran FA and keep Godfrey @ FS.

Posted

earned the right to compete for a starting spot.

Posted

Earned? Not even close.

He got the job through injuries but he's done relatively well, considering his experience.

He looks the part of an NFL safety, unlike Nakamura. I've seen two plays that stood out in my mind. First, the Antonio Gates break up which showed he is a pretty good athlete.

Second, against the Raiders, it was a DMC sweep and he came onto the screen like a streak of lightning and set the edge three yards in the Raider backfield, forcing DMC to cut to the middle and get tackled.

Those two plays make me like him as a guy to keep around and mold into a potential starter. I think the athletic ability is there. It's all about the instincts and the brains.

Posted

For the majority of the snaps? Pff usually is pretty accurate.

There may be occasions when DJ has lined up on the weakside and perhaps they are using that as their definition. However, he has consistently been starting in the role previously occupied by Godfrey. That is, he plays closer to the line of scrimmage, is often used to cover the TE and in run support, and is never the deepest defender.

Godfrey has been our deep defender and has rarely been anywhere near the line of scrimmage. This is the role previously held by Nakamura.

So at least for the way they are used in our system, DJ has been the strong and Godfrey has been the free.

Posted

It's a process and a new staff will evaluate things as we move forward.

You sound like Rivera