Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

The GM Candidates

221 posts in this topic

Well the Beane stuff is from Person's, who would know if he was being interviewed or not. Other then that on that front, no one else has said anything.

As for Popp, his family lives in NC and it's also been reported by Person's and a few other places that he was added to the interview list. He did a customary No Comment as for the interview.

I just don't think he would turn down the interview and I think he was at least offered that because of his Resume and ties to the area.

I've only heard Person say he was "expected to be interviewed" which could be speculation or he could be getting fed a line from Beane's agent (same way Yasinskas got trolled on Mike McCoy a few years back).

1 person likes this

Here's an odd little factoid.

With the exception of Dave Gettleman, every single candidate that's been listed for our GM job is younger than head coach Ron Rivera (age 50).

Nearly all others are in their 40s except Marc Ross, who's 39.

one thing that is very much needed in the organization is more experience.

if rivera had on his staff more experience or he himself had more of it (in the HC capacity anyway) it wouldn't be more needed at the GM level. as it is, though, rivera needs someone with more of a clue helping him build the team...if rivera's the man to rebuild it.

I'm not sure who was on the radio - but on WFNZ the journalist they had on said that Marc Ross and Ron Rivera are actually close friends - suggesting that Ross has been the plan all along.

I'm not sure who was on the radio - but on WFNZ the journalist they had on said that Marc Ross and Ron Rivera are actually close friends - suggesting that Ross has been the plan all along.

If you can find out who said that or a link to that audio clip later on that would be nice

verrrrrry interesting.

Rivera was the Eagles linebacker coach from 1999 to 2003. Ross had started his NFL career as a scout for the Eagles two years prior. He was promoted to Director of College Scouting in 2000 and still held that position when Rivera left for Chicago in 2003. A year later Ross went to the Bills.

From 1999 to 2000, the Eagles had another familiar employee working in their scouting department. He served under the title of "Scouting Administrative Coordinator". His name? Sean McDermott.

Reasonable to expect that McDermott and Ross worked with each other plenty. Ross and Rivera wouldn't necessarily have worked together directly but likely would have at least been familiar with each other. It's entirely possible that they became friends, though there's nothing online about it (no reason there should be, honestly).

Ya know, call me a grouchy old man if you want to, but have any of the people who get paid to cover this stuff ever actually even mentioned stuff like Ross having previously worked with McDermott and Rivera?

It's not like it was some closely guarded secret. All I had to do was read his bio on Giants.com. I'd like to assume our resident journalists have at least done that much...right? :unsure:

Ya know, call me a grouchy old man if you want to, but have any of the people who get paid to cover this stuff ever actually even mentioned stuff like Ross having previously worked with McDermott and Rivera?

It's not like it was some closely guarded secret. All I had to do was read his bio on Giants.com. I'd like to assume our resident journalists have at least done that much...right? :unsure:

Hmmmm, I don't think I've seen anything about that anywhere else but from you. In terms of Panther beat reporters anyways. lol

Person mentioned Ross being in Philly while Rivera was there (no mention about McDermott though):

Comment: Ross is one of the hottest general manager candidates, interviewing with four of the seven teams that have openings. Ross has already talked to San Diego, Jacksonville and the Jets. Ross was in Philadelphia when Ron Rivera was an Eagles assistant. Ross has a good reputation as a talent evaluator, running the drafts that brought Kenny Phillips, Hakeem Nicks and Jason Pierre-Paul to the Giants.

http://www.charlotte...l#storylink=cpy

Person mentioned Ross being in Philly while Rivera was there (no mention about McDermott though):

Knowing McDermott had a long history in Philly, that's the kind of thing I'd expect someone to check on.

Maybe I am just being grouchy, but still...

Heck, I suppose technically all he would have needed to do to get that info was read the first page of this thread :lol: