222 replies to this topic

#181 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

If Rivera is firing staff, we have to be close to a hire, right? Can you really sign assistant coaches without a GM to do the contract?

#182 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Any idea where Dator got hold of that rumor?

I wish

#183 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Person tweeted that both Ross and Jim Popp interviewed today

#184 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

The Observer's GM profile article may actually provide a hint where the Brandon Beane stuff is coming from.

Person says this:

Full article here: A closer look at the 6 Carolina Panthers GM candidates

I wonder, could Ron Rivera be the one who wants the team to take a look at making Beane the permanent GM?

If this is true, then Rivera is truly a moron. I'm sorry, but if you want an unqualified guy to get the job just to help your own influence, then you definitely don't have the best interests of the organization in mind.

Any idea where Dator got hold of that rumor?

If it is like some of the other stuff I've seen from him, he probably pulled it from a location below the waist but above the knees, and positioned on the back side of the body.

Edit: And regarding James Dator, I think he's a really good writer and I enjoy his stuff, but from my experience, he has less football knowledge than you would expect from someone blogging about the Panthers.

#185 MtnJax

MtnJax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Joe Person@josephperson

Dave Gettleman, Lake Dawson, George Paton and Brandon Beane all scheduled to interview, as well.

Expand

Joe Person@josephperson

On Panthers GM front, Giants college scouting director Marc Ross and Montreal Alouettes GM Jim Popp both interviewed today.

#186 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

for hiring ernie accorsi, we sure do have a ton of interviews set up compared to other teams. they seemed to set their sights on someone and go for it... is that a normal thing or... ?

#187 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

If it is like some of the other stuff I've seen from him, he probably pulled it from a location below the waist but above the knees, and positioned on the back side of the body.

I'm not sure where you mean :unsure:

#188 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Photo of Popp from Person's story about the first interviews (link)

Posted Image

Not that it means anything, but I look at that pic and think 70s televangelist :unsure:

#189 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Photo of Popp from Person's story about the first interviews (link)

Posted Image

Not that it means anything, but I look at that pic and think 70s televangelist :unsure:

He would scare me if a full moon were coming.

#190 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Is there anyway that Popp is interviewing for something else? For example, is it possible that Gettleman is actually the leading candidate for the job, with Popp (who is apparently an unreal talent evaluator) possibly coming in to be the director of player personnel/heir apparent, while he trains to be a GM in the NFL?

#191 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Is there anyway that Popp is interviewing for something else? For example, is it possible that Gettleman is actually the leading candidate for the job, with popp (who is apparently an unreal talent evaluator) possibly coming in to be the director of player personnel/heir apparent, while he trains to be a GM in the NFL?

Just curious where did you read/hear that?

#192 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 15,978 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

If Rivera is firing staff, we have to be close to a hire, right? Can you really sign assistant coaches without a GM to do the contract?

Better for the Assistants to be blown out early so they can hunt for jobs or pop a tent at the Senior Bowl.

#193 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 10,756 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Steve Reed@SteveReedAP
Again, don't rule out interim GM Brandon Beane as a possibility for GM position in Carolina. For now JJR is looking at 5 from the outside.

Steve Reed@SteveReedAP
Along with Jerry Richardson, team president Danny Morrison will have an active role in deciding the team's next general manager.

Steve Reed@SteveReedAP
Yes, of course. Ernie will advise, but not has no say in the final decision. RT @bennetthipp: @SteveReedAP Accorsi as well, I would assume?

#194 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 15,978 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hey Jerry, even Jacksonville did it right.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- The Jacksonville Jaguars have hired Atlanta director of player personnel David Caldwell as general manager, charging him with turning around one of the league's worst teams.
His first move will be deciding the fate of coach Mike Mularkey.
Owner Shad Khan tabbed the 38-year-old Caldwell on Tuesday, a day after a third interview. FoxSports.com first reported that the Jaguars had reached an agreement with Caldwell. A formal new conference is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.
''We got our man,'' Khan said in a statement. ''I have a lot of faith in David Caldwell and I can assure our fans that the best days for the Jacksonville Jaguars are in front of us.''

#195 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Updating the other ongoing GM quests...

Cardinals

First to the finish line (though you could say they had a head start). Hired in-house guy Steve Keim.

Jaguars

First to hire an outsider. Tabbed Dave Caldwell from the Falcons.

San Diego Chargers

Still undecided between Jimmy Raye and Tom Telesco. Raye is still generally believed to be the favorite but Telesco was granted a second interview.

Kansas City Chiefs

Have checked into Ray Farmer, Tom Gamble, Tom Heckert and John Dorsey with Dorsey believed to be the favorite.

Browns

Not much new info. Have requested permission to interview George Paton, Ray Farmer and Tom Gamble. Beginning to wonder if there was ever any substance thing to the Mike Lombardi rumors.

Jets

An utter mess. Tom Gamble reportedly bombed his interview and Dave Caldwell bolted back to Jacksonville after his second. Word they're now reaching out to Telesco and Dolphins Assistant GM Brian Gaine. Would seem clear they're not sold on Ross (or he's not sold on them) seeing as they've already interviewed him but are still looking for more options. Gotta wonder if The Woody and Rex show may be scaring off good candidates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.