The GM Candidates

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#141 Gabeking

Gabeking

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...ay-cross-border

The Carolina Panthers’ search for a general manager won’t be limited to the borders of the United States.

Long-time Canadian Football League general manager Jim Popp is getting some attention and likely will be one of five or six candidates to interview for the job next week, according to league sources. Although Popp has spent the bulk of his career in Canada, he does have some ties to the Carolinas.

He also goes on his beane binge again in the later paragraphs.

#142 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Profile completed for Lake Dawson.

If Popp is a candidate, I probably won't research him until tomorrow or Monday.

#143 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Profile is done on Paton now too.

Some things that might make you wince: He and Rick Spielman were part of the braintrust that chose to pass on Drew Brees and trade for Daunte Culpepper instead. More recently with the Vikings, they traded the Pats a third rounder for Randy Moss, who wound up cut just a little while thereafter when he underachieved and made as ass of himself.

Knowing those things doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

#144 Zithers

Zithers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

rick spielman and george paton also drafted matt kalil (while trading back), harrison smith, blair walsh, and josh robinson this year...

hired a new DC that improved their defense like 15 spots.

though their adventures into free agency this offseason weren't very good...

#145 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

rick spielman and george paton also drafted matt kalil (while trading back), harrison smith, blair walsh, and josh robinson this year...

hired a new DC that improved their defense like 15 spots.

though their adventures into free agency this offseason weren't very good...

Paton actually sounds like a guy who might be better suited to be a director of college scouting, but most of his direct experience is with pro scouting and right now he's an assistant GM.

It's hard to know whether he played a significant role, or no role, in the debacles listed above. Still, the fact that he was part of those staffs when those decisions were made is the kind of thing that makes you stop and think.

He comes across as a really smart guy, but he's been privy to some free agency decisions that pretty much nobody would call "smart choices".

#146 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Quick update on the GM situations around the league...

San Diego Chargers

Have narrowed their pool to two, Colts VP of Football Operations Tom Telesco and an in-house candidate, Director of Player Personnel Jimmy Raye

Jacksonville Jaguars

Also down to two, choosing between Falcons Director of Player Personnel David Caldwell and Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel Steve Keim Caldwell is considered the favorite.

Arizona Cardinals

It was generally expected that when Rod Graves was fired, the job would be handed to Steve Keim. He's still considered the favorite here but has been allowed to interview elsewhere. The Cards also interviewed Redskins Director of Player Personnel Morocco Brown.

Kansas City Chiefs

Expected to hire Packers Director of Football Operations John Dorsey, but also interviewing an in-house candidate, Director of Pro Personnel Ray Farmer. It was widely believed that new coach Andy Reid would bring in old friend Tom Heckert for the job, but that hasn't appeared to be true.

New York Jets

By most accounts, pretty well zeroed in on 49ers Director of Player Personnel Tom Gamble. He comes with a heavy recommendation from old colleague Bill Polian and prior experience working for the Jets organization. I've heard it said he has some background with Rex Ryan too, but I don't know from where.

Cleveland Browns

Have requested permission to interview three: Vikings Assistant General Manager George Paton, Ray Farmer and Tom Gamble. There's still plenty of buzz that the job will eventually go to Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post (and a former Browns employee) but there's nothing official about him interviewing that I've seen.

That's where everybody else is right now.

Looking more and more like this year's "hot candidate", Marc Ross, is going to be shut out again...that is unless we hire him.

#147 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Jay Glazer confirmed that the Panthers will interview George Paton this week, but didn't say when.

Lake Dawson has been named as an option, but I'm beginning to think he's a fallback. To date, I can't find any confirmation that the Panthers have actually made a formal request to interview him.

#148 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• LocationLexington, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Jay Glazer confirmed that the Panthers will interview George Paton this week, but didn't say when.

Lake Dawson has been named as an option, but I'm beginning to think he's a fallback. To date, I can't find any confirmation that the Panthers have actually made a formal request to interview him.

They haven't, just Paton, Ross, Gettleman, Popp and Beane have interviews so far.

#149 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Is there any actual confirmation that they're planning to interview Popp? All I've seen is speculation.

(which, to be honest, is all I've seen with Beane as well)

Only confirmed interviews I've found online are Ross, Gettleman and Paton.

#150 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• LocationLexington, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Well the Beane stuff is from Person's, who would know if he was being interviewed or not. Other then that on that front, no one else has said anything.

As for Popp, his family lives in NC and it's also been reported by Person's and a few other places that he was added to the interview list. He did a customary No Comment as for the interview.

I just don't think he would turn down the interview and I think he was at least offered that because of his Resume and ties to the area.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users