• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

He was a working class guy who made the right decisions at the right time.

bolded what was important... at one point he may have been but he clearly did well for himself and advanced his class... that is good, nothing wrong with that, but let's be real: he was not a working class person his entire time working.

opening his own firm, buying that kind of land - these are indications he was financially well off enough to be considered in the middle class. obv., without knowing the guy, I can't comment, but as soon as he made $10 mill even if he had somehow miraculously done all of that on low income before, he couldn't possibly be considered low income past that point.

even if he deposited his wealth in a bank account and never touched it, I would have trouble considering him to be truly in the working class, as opposed to an eccentric rich person. :P

edit: also I am assuming a surveyor is in fact a working class job, I have no idea what education requirements etc it requires... heh.

#62 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

No, you just call everyone stupid that doesn't agree with you bc its your nature.

You are completely incapable of having adult discussion... It's really, really, REALLY pathetic.

oh look another tone argument

#63 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,734 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

bolded what was important... at one point he may have been but he clearly did well for himself and advanced his class... that is good, nothing wrong with that, but let's be real: he was not a working class person his entire time working.

opening his own firm, buying that kind of land - these are indications he was financially well off enough to be considered in the middle class. obv., without knowing the guy, I can't comment, but as soon as he made $10 mill even if he had somehow miraculously done all of that on low income before, he couldn't possibly be considered low income past that point.

even if he deposited his wealth in a bank account and never touched it, I would have trouble considering Ihim to be truly in the working class, as opposed to an eccentric rich person. :P

edit: also I am assuming a surveyor is in fact a working class job, I have no idea what education requirements etc it requires... heh.

I never intended to say that someone was ALWAYS a working class person... Obviously once he sold the land, he was extremely wealthy. Prior to that, and essentially his entire career, he was a simple land surveyor that made a very modest wage. The requirements to become a registered surveyor in the 60s and 70s was a HS diploma and 10 years work exp as a minimum, which was what this guy had.

The land he purchased was originally thought to be of low value bc of its location, but turned out to be highly valuable later for the same reason.

My entire point, as it usually is with Mr know-it-all, is that there is NOTHING absolute. He simply can't grasp that there are people and situations in the world that don't fit in his little boxes.

#64 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

so wait, your original quote:

How does this enlightened theory of yours work when the daddy WAS the working class?

should be something more like "How does this theory of yours work then the daddy was once in the working class?"

if so I don't see how it would change at all.

either way I don't see how his success should mean that his money should somehow be exempt from the estate tax.

#65 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

there are absolutely no absolutes

#66 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

your surveyor friend wasn't working class. 10 years of experience indicates a level of skill required, and i'd wager that he made at or near the median income. you (again) confused the working class with wealthier people.

and uh you quoted my post and suggested that the estate tax is in any way relevant to the working class. this is demonstrably false. sense then, you've been spinning like a top, suggesting that THIS was your entire point all along, and then THIS was your entire point all along, and then THIS, etc.

in other words:

should be something more like "How does this theory of yours work then the daddy was once in the working class?"

this

you said a dumb thing and instead of either justifying it or admitting that it was dumb, you just tried to avoid it, to the point of bringing in your stupid stories about your stupid friend that is in no way relevant to my post that you originally quoted

#67 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

there are absolutely no absolutes

"THERE ARE NO ABSOLUTES"

"BUT THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE"

"CANTRELL ALWAYS SPEAKS IN ABSOLUTES"

"BUT WAIT, ALWAYS IS AN ABSOLUTE"

"ERROR. ERROR. ERROR."

*ncbiscuit short circuits and intelligent discourse rejoices*

#68 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,734 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

so wait, your original quote:

either way I don't see how his success should mean that his money should somehow be exempt from the estate tax.

That's fine to interpret or change my original post that way... I have no problem with that. I never argued either way that anyone should or shouldn't be exempt from the estate tax, I don't have a dog in that fight. I also don't mind discussing this with you since we can actually have an adult discusion. Something someone else on here is completely incapable of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.