65 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,442 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Can you convince me why Ross would hire Chip Kelly - someone with whom he has no experience who also has no pro experience and who is rumored to want personnel control that Ross, as the GM, would want for himself - over Perry Fewell, someone with whom he's actually worked at two different stops (both were with the Bills in 2006) and who's not expected to have any desire to interfere with the personnel department?

Why would he choose giving Kelly his first shot at the NFL over giving Fewell his first shot at being a head coach?

Follow up question: If you knew Ross wouldn't hire Kelly, would you want a different choice for GM?

#2 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Chip Kelly will only have a shot to be the next HC of the Carolina Panthers if Brandon Beane is elevated to full-time GM (which would be in name only IMO).

Basically, what I'm saying is, Chip Kelly will not be the next HC of the Carolina Panthers.

#3 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

depends if he wants an oc minded coached and if he believes he can do what jh is doing in sanfran.........

#4 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,613 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

if Ross and JR want to go for a more offense-minded coach, and they interview Kelly and the rumors aren't completely true, then I think he has a decent chance. But, a Kelly hiring would be very very unlike JR, so I doubt it happens.

#5 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,590 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

If you know the Panthers, then you know that giving a coach front office control hasn't worked well. Jerry Richardson is a man who learns from his mistakes, and it seems near-impossible that the first-time NFL coach like Chip Kelly would be given the keys to the castle. However, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Jim Harbaugh wanted this same control in San Francisco, but an agreement to have the head coach and GM Trent Baalke share personnel responsibilities was enough to sway him to join the 49ers.

This it the give-and-take in the modern NFL -- get a strong-willed GM to run the show, possibly missing out on an elite head coach who wants control, or turn the keys over to a coach and hope they have an eye for talent. A collaboration between Chip Kelly and a first-time general manager like Marc Ross could have a dynastic effect on the Carolina Panthers organization; the perfect blend of mad-capped creativity on both the offensive, and scouting side.

#6 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

No

#7 KissMyConverse

KissMyConverse

ShoGun of Harlem

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I see Kelly getting hired for the same reason Marty got fired in the middle of the year. (Hurney should have gotten let go for the bad decisions long ago)....
Basically to spark the Fan base and get some excitement going.

#8 CBDellinger

CBDellinger

CAMdamonium!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I want whatever GM we hire to hire who he tthinks is best for the job. I don't care who it is, as its on him.

I don't particularly want Kelly, but if that's who he wants I'll deal.

#9 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I think if Ross gets the job he wont bring Rivera back.

#10 Guest_Slenderman_*

Guest_Slenderman_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

The GM should hire whomever he thinks is the best choice. He should draft whomever he thinks is the best prospect. BUT, he should be held accountable for his choices.

#11 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Just don't want Fewell...don't want ANY DC for that matter.

#12 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Can you convince me why Ross would hire Chip Kelly - someone with whom he has no experience who also has no pro experience and who is rumored to want personnel control that Ross, as the GM, would want for himself - over Perry Fewell, someone with whom he's actually worked at two different stops (both were with the Bills in 2006) and who's not expected to have any desire to interfere with the personnel department?

Why would he choose giving Kelly his first shot at the NFL over giving Fewell his first shot at being a head coach?

Follow up question: If you knew Ross wouldn't hire Kelly, would you want a different choice for GM?

What kind of HC doesn't want to interfere with the personnel department?

The GM and the HC should work very closely together. It should be a symbiotic relationship - the GM is trying to draft players that fit the systems the HC is running after all.

This is why I think Rivera's gone. What GM wants to work with the last guy's HC choice? Especially one that has failed.

#13 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 3,112 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Would prefer kelly on if he has a plan in place for newton. This has to be the number one thing in taking any new head coach.

#14 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

The thing I worry about with Kelly is that when his offense faces a good defense it does not produce the same results.

#15 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I don't think any new GM will have that much say in the HC decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com