Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So let's say Ross gets the GM job...

66 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can you convince me why Ross would hire Chip Kelly - someone with whom he has no experience who also has no pro experience and who is rumored to want personnel control that Ross, as the GM, would want for himself - over Perry Fewell, someone with whom he's actually worked at two different stops (both were with the Bills in 2006) and who's not expected to have any desire to interfere with the personnel department?

Why would he choose giving Kelly his first shot at the NFL over giving Fewell his first shot at being a head coach?

Follow up question: If you knew Ross wouldn't hire Kelly, would you want a different choice for GM?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Chip Kelly will only have a shot to be the next HC of the Carolina Panthers if Brandon Beane is elevated to full-time GM (which would be in name only IMO).

Basically, what I'm saying is, Chip Kelly will not be the next HC of the Carolina Panthers.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

depends if he wants an oc minded coached and if he believes he can do what jh is doing in sanfran.........

Posted · Report post

if Ross and JR want to go for a more offense-minded coach, and they interview Kelly and the rumors aren't completely true, then I think he has a decent chance. But, a Kelly hiring would be very very unlike JR, so I doubt it happens.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

If you know the Panthers, then you know that giving a coach front office control hasn't worked well. Jerry Richardson is a man who learns from his mistakes, and it seems near-impossible that the first-time NFL coach like Chip Kelly would be given the keys to the castle. However, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Jim Harbaugh wanted this same control in San Francisco, but an agreement to have the head coach and GM Trent Baalke share personnel responsibilities was enough to sway him to join the 49ers.

This it the give-and-take in the modern NFL -- get a strong-willed GM to run the show, possibly missing out on an elite head coach who wants control, or turn the keys over to a coach and hope they have an eye for talent. A collaboration between Chip Kelly and a first-time general manager like Marc Ross could have a dynastic effect on the Carolina Panthers organization; the perfect blend of mad-capped creativity on both the offensive, and scouting side.

Posted · Report post

No

Posted · Report post

I see Kelly getting hired for the same reason Marty got fired in the middle of the year. (Hurney should have gotten let go for the bad decisions long ago)....

Basically to spark the Fan base and get some excitement going.

Posted · Report post

I want whatever GM we hire to hire who he tthinks is best for the job. I don't care who it is, as its on him.

I don't particularly want Kelly, but if that's who he wants I'll deal.

Posted · Report post

I think if Ross gets the job he wont bring Rivera back.

Posted · Report post

The GM should hire whomever he thinks is the best choice. He should draft whomever he thinks is the best prospect. BUT, he should be held accountable for his choices.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Just don't want Fewell...don't want ANY DC for that matter.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Can you convince me why Ross would hire Chip Kelly - someone with whom he has no experience who also has no pro experience and who is rumored to want personnel control that Ross, as the GM, would want for himself - over Perry Fewell, someone with whom he's actually worked at two different stops (both were with the Bills in 2006) and who's not expected to have any desire to interfere with the personnel department?

Why would he choose giving Kelly his first shot at the NFL over giving Fewell his first shot at being a head coach?

Follow up question: If you knew Ross wouldn't hire Kelly, would you want a different choice for GM?

What kind of HC doesn't want to interfere with the personnel department?

The GM and the HC should work very closely together. It should be a symbiotic relationship - the GM is trying to draft players that fit the systems the HC is running after all.

This is why I think Rivera's gone. What GM wants to work with the last guy's HC choice? Especially one that has failed.

1 person likes this