#31 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Mr. Scot are you trolling today or what?

Perry Fewell as head coach... Please step away from the keyboard and take the night off.

Fewell wouldn't be my first choice.

But with that said, I question whether Marc Ross would hire a college guy he doesn't know over a pro guy that he does.

#32 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,413 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

quality is quality regardless of where it comes from.

#33 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Oooh, ummm yea, thats old for a new GM in my opinion. I was reading his info and he seemd like a great option, but 62 is just a bit old.

#34 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

I may take a look at the average ages of GMs in the league.

#35 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Fewell wouldn't be my first choice.

But with that said, I question whether Marc Ross would hire a college guy he doesn't know over a pro guy that he does.

I'm sure Ross could find a better pro candidate than Fewell, just about any huddler here could do that.

#36 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

I'm sure Ross could find a better pro candidate than Fewell, just about any huddler here could do that.

Ross may not have the same opinion.

Crony hiring is pretty common in the league.

For example, what team is our consultant from? And what team is the guy said to be our leading candidate from?

#37 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

I personally want a coach who has experience being a head coach and making the right decisions on game day.The only way to get that is a retread or a college head coach or coordinator who was a successful college head coach in the past.

I would be much happier with hiring Kelly than another defensive coordinator. It seems very hard to predict what current coordinator or assistant coach can translate their success on one side of the ball to managing a whole team and coaching staff.

For me his lack of NFL experience on resume' is not ideal but not a deal breaker either. I'd take him over the likes of Fewell or Zimmer.

#38 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

For example, what team is our consultant from? And what team is the guy said to be our leading candidate from?

Ross would be the better choice regardless if Ernie was from the giants or not. Anyone could see that.

#39 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I don't think the fan base's wishes for HC should predicate what the organization does at the GM spot. As mentioned, they need to hire the guy that seems to be the best fit, not the guy that we can get Chip Kelly with.

#40 Ship

Ship

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

So Ross knows Fewell. What if Ross knows he isn't HC material? If Ross becomes GM he'll meet Rivera, who's to say that he won't like Rivera? Who's to say Accorsi won't report to him 'wow he really has that locker room, the guys in there love him' 'he's been turning it around, Cam's developing correctly and the D is 8th in the league.' What if Ross decides he has a perfect low risk 1st HC option in keeping a staff which could be very close to putting it all together under the guise of 'giving him an audition year' rather than just tossing everything out as soon as he arrives. Since he's 39 and has never been a GM before. That way he can play both sides so if Rivera and co. work out next year (playoffs at least) then Ross looks great for having faith in the team and seeing 'the full picture' and if Rivera fails (no playoffs) then Ross will have taken a year to get acclimated and be more prepared to bring in a new staff. I think Ross would still be likely to keep Rivera, especially if we win tomorrow. If he gets the choice that is-- JR could just as well decide for him.

#41 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I want whatever GM we hire to hire who he tthinks is best for the job. I don't care who it is, as its on him.

I don't particularly want Kelly, but if that's who he wants I'll deal.

This.

#42 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

I don't see Kelly or Saban becoming HC, don't see JR approving the hiring of a college HC.

#43 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

yes, but Ross wasn't hired until after Accorsi left.

FWIW, I put up a quick idea of just such a thing the other day and published it today, here:

http://absolutepanth...ns-with-hc.html

I don't disagree- Cronyism isn't always a bad thing. Guys should know who they're working with, to a point. You should know you mesh. I get that.

That said, I like Ross, and don't like Fewell.

#44 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't know where all this "Chip Kelly Chip Kelly!" crap is coming from. What makes you think Chip Kelly will coach here, especially since he wants total control whereas here JR seems to have his hand in everything. Chip Kelly won't be coaching here. He's probably going to San Diego, to be honest.

#45 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I think Bruce Arians should be the favorite for all teams who will be looking for a coach next season. How is it that Chip Kelly is a favorite?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com