• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

You will find out when your employer drops coverage...which is what most will do.

Then simply go to an employer that offers better benefits.

#17 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Yep...it's a worker's market right now.

#18 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

The owner of my company brought this up....said he could drop coverage and we old all go on Obamacare. (We get into these type of discussions daily) I told him we've lost 2 programmers to companies because of health benefits offered (our healthcare plan is awesome if you are single but brutal if married/kid) so health benefits are differentiators for companies just like pay, vacation, 401k....

If you want to attract or retain good/great people you do more not less. Our company is dependent on bringing in bright young people who are high in demand.

But you all know so much more about business. Lol

#19 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

You're comparing a technical field where experience and professionalism matter...not a high turnover position such as manufacturing.

#20 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

So machinists are in low demand?

#21 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,567 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

the macro stat nerd in me would like to dissect the unemploymen #'s as well as the movement of employment.

ask questions like what type of benefits do you want/need and so on and so forth.

part of the reason i still contend the whole focus should have been on just the uninsured FIRST, then fix that then tackle the whole health care deal.

#22 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,234 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

The owner of my company brought this up....said he could drop coverage and we old all go on Obamacare. (We get into these type of discussions daily) I told him we've lost 2 programmers to companies because of health benefits offered (our healthcare plan is awesome if you are single but brutal if married/kid) so health benefits are differentiators for companies just like pay, vacation, 401k....

If you want to attract or retain good/great people you do more not less. Our company is dependent on bringing in bright young people who are high in demand.

But you all know so much more about business. Lol

I absolutely agree that companies can and will use it as a benefit.

However, I think you will see more and more companies (especially large ones) opt out of coverage. If that starts happeneing, then others will quickly follow.

Only time will tell the real impact of this.

#23 Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

http://money.cnn.com...cuts/index.html

http://vitals.nbcnew...doctor-pay?lite

#24 d-run

d-run

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

My employer pays all of my health insurance cost...

I wonder how this will effect me?????

If he's a small business and unable to pay the costs of the new HC. He could cut your hours to part time work to avoid paying HC benefits

Medium size company , I'm salary and work 45 hours a week

You will find out when your employer drops coverage...which is what most will do.

Probably nothing unless your plan has a larger than 2000 dollar annual deductible, which starting in 2014 is the largest allowed deductible on an individual employer sponsored plan. Maybe I'm dense, but why would a company that is voluntarily offering health benefits to their employees stop offering those same benefits when they are no longer voluntary?

#25 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Probably nothing unless your plan has a larger than 2000 dollar annual deductible, which starting in 2014 is the largest allowed deductible on an individual employer sponsored plan. Maybe I'm dense, but why would a company that is voluntarily offering health benefits to their employees stop offering those same benefits when they are no longer voluntary?

Because they know their employees will be taken care of via the mandated government-backed insurance exchange with the employer not having to fork over a dime. That is for ones that are under the threshold of being fined.

#26 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,567 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

this is part of the delicate balance of incentivizing someone. if too much is given, the motivation can lack. not enough is given and you crush someone's spirit.

i say this alot here about a price pain point. each and every person and industry has this intrinsic value about how much they are willing to pay for something and they won't budge.

i think this first quarter is crucial on how biz's alter their health plans as well as workforce. i mean on one hand, why would some companies NOT stay under the # to be able to cut costs and those that are working could make more. or it could be pocketed.

i think FSA was reduced as well and for many this has been a terrific tool for them to manage money and health costs.

buy oh well. Govco is smarter than all of us right?

#27 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,323 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

If you lose your job, no worries, just go on unemployment and then when that ride is over, go on permanent disability. It is the new American Way

#28 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Or go work at Wal Mart and I'll subsidize you as a taxpayer. git r don

#29 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,567 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

i don't have a prob with U/E as long as the person is genuinely trying to find work. i know many that are busting their butt and nothing has turned up yet.
yes, there are those that bleed it dry willingly.

this is one of those you have to dig a little deeper on. if the FSA has been reduced(and i need to do more homework on that) then the avg person may dip into their savings for health care costs.

#30 d-run

d-run

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

i don't have a prob with U/E as long as the person is genuinely trying to find work. i know many that are busting their butt and nothing has turned up yet.
yes, there are those that bleed it dry willingly.

this is one of those you have to dig a little deeper on. if the FSA has been reduced(and i need to do more homework on that) then the avg person may dip into their savings for health care costs.

Beginning January 1, 2013, the limit on pre-tax contributions to healthcare flexible spending accounts will be capped at $2,500 per year.[94][95][96]

http://en.wikipedia....rdable_Care_Act

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com