#61 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Here's a breakdown of DWill's contract numbers that the new GM will see when he takes over this offseason...

2013: $7.95 million cap hit
2014: $8.95 million cap hit
2015: $9.95 million cap hit

$26.85 million total over three years to keep him. Besides the cost it's also important to note that he'll be 30-32 years old during the final 3 years of this contract.

Now, if we release Williams we still have to deal with some dead money. If we designate Williams as a June 1st cut, this would be his cap hit...

2013: $3.2 million, giving us $4.75 million more cap space
2014: $6.4 million, giving us $2.55 million more cap space
2015: $0 giving us $9.95 million more cap space

By releasing him we have to suck up $9.6 million in dead money but we still end up with a staggering $17.25 million total in extra cap space over three years. Given that the Panthers are going to be ~$4-5 million over the cap heading into the offseason (and next year doesn't look much better) I don't think there's any chance DWill is a Panther next season.

Even if he agrees to take a reasonably sized pay cut I think the cost of keeping him would still be too high. He would have to cut his base salary at least in half, probably more, to stick around and players generally aren't willing to take that big of a pay cut. And in DWill's case he probably feels he's still an elite player and only dropped in production due to being poorly utilized by the coaching staff.

The only way I see him sticking around would be if we promote Brandon Beane to permanent GM. All the massive contracts Hurney dished out in 2011 were laughable when compared to other deals being signed around the league. Any outside GM is going to want to dump this contract (and probably a few others) ASAP.

You should make a thread breaking down more contracts like this by cap hit. Namely Beasons, Andersons, Godfreys and Gross'. Gamble is probably worthy of his.

#62 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

...Dwill doesn't look like he has the same enthusiasm he had a few years ago. Guess he has nothing to prove or hes getting tired of hitting the line and no where to go. seems to go down easy and always takes the sideline out rather than turning up field and making a move...he looks slow and not very explosive to me...he got dat money...

#63 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,550 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

deangelo is still productive. id trade stewart first

#64 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I think that DeAngelo Williams will restructure his contract to remain here. Everyone on the huddle seems to be in love with Stew. I like Stew and love his combination of speed and strength, but not as our primary back, he can't stay healthy enough.

#65 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,671 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

God Hurney was a fugging moron.

It's truly amazing how many people thought Hurney was a good GM or even better a Cap Genius.

#66 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,671 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

deangelo is still productive. id trade stewart first

Stewart has had foot/ankle issues form Day 1.
Hurney was and is a complete idiot for drafting 28 2 years after drafting Dwill.
Here's hoping DWill restructures and somehow we get value for Jonathon Stewart.

#67 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

I see the light.

#68 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Trading Stew would be a bigger cap hit than getting rid of D-Will. If we wanted to trade Stew, it should have been before we gave him that contract. So everyone who wants to trade guys like Stew or Beason, you don't trade away guys you just gave big contracts to.

#69 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

You should make a thread breaking down more contracts like this by cap hit. Namely Beasons, Andersons, Godfreys and Gross'. Gamble is probably worthy of his.

i second this ^^

#70 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,362 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Trading Stew would be a bigger cap hit than getting rid of D-Will. If we wanted to trade Stew, it should have been before we gave him that contract. So everyone who wants to trade guys like Stew or Beason, you don't trade away guys you just gave big contracts to.

With the way his bonuses are set up his cap hit would actually be lower. lol

#71 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

by looking this website, it looks like cutting/trading Gross would save us a good chunk of money...

http://www.spotrac.c...s/jordan-gross/

#72 blackcat

blackcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Here's what happens...34 is going nowhere, he's made some money, he knows he's got a good qb, he also knows nobody is going to pay him like an elite RB. He'll restructure his contract.

#73 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Looks like gamble and gross will take about 16 million off the cap if they are both cut or traded. Im not sure exactly how it works, but id assume we'd just be responsible for bonuses

#74 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

With the way his bonuses are set up his cap hit would actually be lower. lol

Just looked at it, and I'm not so sure that's correct.

He "only" has $7.2 million left in unallocated signing bonus. However, his contract has guarantees that total $23 million, and he has been paid a little under $10 million so far (signing bonus of $9 million and salary for 2012 of just under $1 million). So some of those amounts listed as "misc bonus" or some of his salaries are fully guaranteed. It is probably some combination of those. Nonetheless, it's going to be very hard to wiggle around his contract without it killing us.

#75 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• HUDDLER
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Bolster that O line with some talent and consistency, give me A Smith or T Poole and let's go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.