Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivera is safe per Yahoo.com

85 posts in this topic

Posted

You do realize that a yahoo.com article is just about the same as a huddle thread... right?

Cole source, who has always been a Panther hater BTW, is Pat Yasinskas

Which we all know is BS.

National Media usually has no clue on the Panther Organization.

Lombardi has more of a clue than Cole, and I would not take any stock in this report other than repeating Pat Y.

Lombardi has had other jobs in the league other than being a Yahoo reporter, and his sources are long time friends in the industry that have high level jobs such as GMs not other reporters.

Posted

Seriously if Beane is the GM fans will depart in droves and I'll be among them. I refuse to support a team that is content to simply take my money and pile up losing seasons.

Im thinking the same thing. The team to me would then be guilty until proven innocent, I would refuse to become a fan again until they show they will have a winning season next year. I would probably become a Rams fan, i refuse to just become a fan of a team that is already a contender because thats just lazy. I like Jeff Fisher and I like how the Rams build.

If we hire Beane it will just show JR treated his fans like crying babies and he used the firing of Hurney just as a pacifier to shut us up with no real vision for the future.

Posted

Cole source, who has always been a Panther hater BTW, is Pat Yasinskas

Which we all know is BS.

National Media usually has no clue on the Panther Organization.

Lombardi has more of a clue than Cole, and I would not take any stock in this report other than repeating Pat Y.

Lombardi has had other jobs in the league other than being a Yahoo reporter, and his sources are long time friends in the industry that have high level jobs such as GMs not other reporters.

Yep, and I also trust Adam Schefter who firstreported Ross was our top guy as GM

Posted

Im thinking the same thing. The team to me would then be guilty until proven innocent, I would refuse to become a fan again until they show they will have a winning season next year. I would probably become a Rams fan, i refuse to just become a fan of a team that is already a contender because thats just lazy. I like Jeff Fisher and I like how the Rams build.

If we hire Beane it will just show JR treated his fans like crying babies and he used the firing of Hurney just as a pacifier to shut us up with no real vision for the future.

Lombardi will be on NFL network next.

Posted

Talking coaching on nfl network in about 5 minutes. Hopefully they say something about Rivera.

Post if they say anything about Rivera

Posted

Watching right now

Posted

Rivera's job hangs on the new GM. I would imagine the order is

1) Find a new GM

2) New GM decides if he wants to interview Rivera.

Rivera, especially with a win today, has done well enough that we don't know whether the new GM will want to try him for another year.

I agree with you, for the most part. However, if I am the new GM, when I evaluate Rivera, I do not consider wins and losses without looking into the reasons for the wins and losses..

I interview him, randomly-selected players, and I watch game tape to determine his decison-making process.

If you want to look at wins, look at the significance of the win. I am estimating and repeating things I have heard here because I am too lazy to look it up:

RR has 1 win in close games, 10+ losses (TD or less)

RR may get 7 wins this season, but only 1 was vs. a winniing team (Atlanta-the Skins were losers when we played them). The rest (NOrleans, San Diego, Oakland, and Eagles) were either coachless or are soon going to be. Teams in disarrray.

Losing teams beat the Panthers on 3 occasions: Tampa Bay twice and the Chiefs (48 hours after a player committed suicide on the facility in front of the coach and GM.)--4 if you include Dallas, who was terrible at the time and could finish 8-8 today.

Rivera managed (chose that verb carefully) to extract defeat from the jaws of victory vs. Tampa Bay in Charlotte, Atlanta in Atlanta, Chicago in the Windy City (That is 3 games the Panthers had locked up if the coach had the team prepared and managed the game well), and poor performances against winnable teams at home (Dallas, Seattle). Losing to KC was inexcusable. In all cases, our players panicked. Leadership eliminates panic and replaces it with confidence.

There is no excuse, as a coach, for causing a team to lose 3 games based on poor management. We had the Falcons, Bears, and Bucs beaten--just manage the clock and do nothing stupid. RIvera failed. I recall when Bill Bellichek went for it on 4th and 2 and lost to the Colts a few years back. There was talk of firing him. Because it was arguably the best coach in NFL history, there was an overreaction. Rivera did this 3 times and nobody says much--it is because it was expected.

Those three games are the difference--we could be 9-6 right now, playing for our 10th win and a playoff birth if our coach had not let us down 3 times. That matters. If you accept mediocrity (7-9 and a helluva run agianst lame duck coaches down the stretch) then that is what you will get. If Rivera says,"We were 4-2 down the stretch" again this year, then I hope someone says, "About the 2-8 stretch before that...."

Posted

He just talked about lovie smith and Jason Garrett, I assume since its live they didnt show a repeat of what he said about Rivera

Posted

Post anything worthy about the panthers for the guys at work.

Posted

Post anything worthy about the panthers for the guys at work.

Nothing was discussed but the Jason Garrett and Lovie Smith job safety. He discussed earlier this morning on first on the field about the job safety of Andy, Norv, Rivera, and Pat Shurmur. He pretty much said that these 4 is what he keeps hearing that will not return to coach next season.

Posted

MHS831 - Love the Post, a very strong argument for letting Ron go.

One thing that I could not get out of my mind reading it, Fox would have won those games.

As much as i want to support JR, The big cat needs to look no further than himself for the shape of the franchise.

We had a Great coach that needed some motivating to start playing younger players and change some schemes.

Some times a change of scenry is a good thing, but you must replace them with proven talent.

If you hire unproven talent you must expect a learning curve.

I love ya Big Cat, but come on man, you played in this league you should know better.

Posted

If we hire Ross and keep Rivera, I could live with that even though I think Rivera should be gone, if we promote Beane and keep Rivera, I will be fully convinced this team has no future and we might as well be sold to LA