Photo
- - - - -

So another 10-6 team gets shafted from the playoffs.. Expand playoff teams now!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

I like how it works. Keep division rivalries

Well they could also merge divisions and have 2 bigger ones instead of 4.

It is only a matter of time before the season gets extended to have more games anyway.

Not saying it is a brilliant idea or that I have issues with the way it is, just some ideas.

Either way I want the roster extended.

#17 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

32 teams, 14 isnt close to half.

14 teams is 44%. That is close to half.

Actually, since you can't add an odd number to the playoffs, 14 is literally as close to half as you can get without, well, actually being at half.

#18 Pazhoosier89

Pazhoosier89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

The bears started 7 -1 and only won 3 Games in The second half of The season. They didnt deserve to make it either. An epic collapse.

#19 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

I like it as is.. giants poohed the bed when they had the lead in the division.

Plus, do people really want to see a Manning-Manning Super Bowl?

#20 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Why do the 10-6 Vikings deserve it and not the 10-6 Bears?

because they had the tie breaker

#21 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

The bears started 7 -1 and only won 3 Games in The second half of The season. They didnt deserve to make it either. An epic collapse.

quoted for truth

#22 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

No thanks. I like having divisional games/rivalries mean something.

Other games would take the place of that. Just playing devils advocate but does anyone honestly miss playing the 49ers or any other NFC west team?

In a conference scenario you'd still be playing each team in the NFC, which IMO would show who the better team is overall anyway.

What does the Broncos numerous victories over the Chiefs and Raiders really mean? Yay we get it those teams suck, why let decent to good teams feast upon loser teams like that, while 3 teams in the NFC East have winning records for example.(and I hate the NFC East but it's true)

#23 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

No. Playoffs at 12 is fine. We don't need damn near half the league making the playoffs.

That's correct. The way it now stands,if your record is not deserving then you don't make the playoffs. This is very simple. There's no need to milk down the playoffs.

#24 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,543 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

You are what you are.

#25 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,147 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

yall be goning in hard on panthertrain84??? lol dude just trying to keep it moving round here.

#26 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Other games would take the place of that. Just playing devils advocate but does anyone honestly miss playing the 49ers or any other NFC west team?

In a conference scenario you'd still be playing each team in the NFC, which IMO would show who the better team is overall anyway.

What does the Broncos numerous victories over the Chiefs and Raiders really mean? Yay we get it those teams suck, why let decent to good teams feast upon loser teams like that, while 3 teams in the NFC East have winning records for example.(and I hate the NFC East but it's true)

Speaking personally, I just hate how football is moving towards a numbers orgy and losing a lot of the personal aspects. I'm sure this makes me old or whatever, but I enjoy hating the Falcons and Saints almost as much as I love watching the Panthers. I really dig having rivalries and hate that current pro football is moving away from them.

As an example, how bad ass is it that the Cowboys and Redskins get to determine who moves on with their last game tonight?

Anyways, I see your point(s) above. I agree with needing an expanded roster but would be pretty bummed by replacing a divisional race with a conference one, which is the whole point of the current playoff system.

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,159 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

No. Playoffs at 12 is fine. We don't need damn near half the league making the playoffs.

Agreed.

And even as is, I'd rather see a winning team left out than a losing team get in.

Don't like being left out? Win more games.

#28 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

If they expand to 14, that means they have to cut atleast 1 regular season game right

#29 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Speaking personally, I just hate how football is moving towards a numbers orgy and losing a lot of the personal aspects. I'm sure this makes me old or whatever, but I enjoy hating the Falcons and Saints almost as much as I love watching the Panthers. I really dig having rivalries and hate that current pro football is moving away from them.

As an example, how bad ass is it that the Cowboys and Redskins get to determine who moves on with their last game tonight?

Anyways, I see your point(s) above. I agree with needing an expanded roster but would be pretty bummed by replacing a divisional race with a conference one, which is the whole point of the current playoff system.

Worse than that is the rules changing to be complete bullshit. If you are old then you definitely hate the stupid can't touch anyone or it is a penalty crap.

I understand all of the history and rivalries stuff as well.

Another point would be that the strength of schedule would be virtually identical in a conference scenario since everyone plays the same teams(relatively depending on the non conference games)

12 is a good number, to me that isn't a topic, it should be about how we come to that 12. I don't dislike the way it is now, just mulling over what I think I'd like if it did change.

#30 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,398 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

No need to worry Panther Train, the NFL will not leave playoff money on the table forever.

If history is any indication, they will once again expand the number of teams in the playoffs.

NFL post-season history can be traced to the first NFL Championship Game in 1933, though in the early years, qualification for the game was based solely on regular season records. The first true NFL playoff began in 1967, when four teams qualified for the tournament. When the league merged with the American Football League in 1970, the playoffs expanded to eight teams. The playoffs were expanded to ten teams in 1978 and twelve teams in 1990.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com