Photo
- - - - -

So I'm 16 (almost 17) Junior in HS... trying to decide what to think about majoring in college

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I'm by no means looking to settle on something now but I just want to start getting ideas on what would be some good things to look at going in to.

#32 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• LocationConnecticut
SUPPORTER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Starting off in Marketing. Switched to Digital Arts Tech. Now I'm doing what I love.

#33 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

too bad you don't like science, would be my suggestion... biology, biotech, depending on where you are, can lead to some awesome careers.

#34 GAme

GAme

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

learn how to grow weed dude

#35 adub2b23

adub2b23

SUPPORTER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I entered NC State (well still there) in the First Year College program, which is basically a place for undecided students to gather. I started out in computer science which is in engineering, but I hated science same as you and was unable to get through physics. So what did I do? Switched to business. I'm concentrating in information technology.

If you are thinking about accounting, it's a really tough major. I just think business is a good major to pick and it offers a lot of different concentrations to appeal to your tastes.

Another tidbit, I didn't find anything I learned in high school applicable to college. It doesn't prepare you at all. Of course, I didn't take any AP classes, but I took all honors. It is really a completely new experience.

#36 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

also, there are a lot of people that start out thinking they hate some topics but end up falling in love with them once they are exposed to them at the college level, so don't close yourself off to any possibilities based on high school *class* experience. think about what interests you outside of school, and what marketable skills relate to that, and which of those things you would prefer to keep as just hobbies and which you think you could build a life around.

#37 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

Blessed.

• LocationTre 4, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yea, it is too bad you dont like science. If you did or were to change your mind, I'd suggest Industrial and Systems Engineering, and with it specialize in Supply Chain Optimization since you've got some interest in business. It's a great field to get in if you've got a creative mind.
As far as you not liking Physics and other science courses, my suggestion would be to try and meet a great set of smart individuals within your major, and have them help you out along the way in subjects you struggle with. It's how many of us engineer majors get by where I'm at. We live by the motto, "teamwork makes the dream work." It's obvious you'd be capable of getting through a physics or science course, especially if your in the top 5-10% of your class. I'm a senior Chemical Engineer major, but at times I've considered switching to IE. I like how it's a combination of both engineering and business. But, whatever you decide to major in good luck. You'll be fine

#38 leaf

leaf

NOT NEWB

• LocationHarrisburg
ROOKIE

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Figure out how you would like to make the world a better place and then work backwards.

#39 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• LocationColorado
SUPPORTER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

There's no need to rush or stress about it. Hell, take a year off or two and travel to open your mind to new things. The next decade for you will be some of the best years of your life.

There is no prototype for higher education. After HS, I went directly into community college because it was cheaper and got many of my BS classes out of the way. I then took a few semesters off to join the Army. I'm now using the benefits to get my Mechanical Engineering degree nearly free of charge. I'm 24, slogging through the courses and it's going to take a few more years, but I am enjoying life not living within a template. No student should feel that way.

BTW, yes...the sciences and engineering classes do suck ass, but the other side is nothing but greener pastures. Engineering is one of the best careers out there; many employers are looking for anyone with a degree in that field. Even if you don't like the basics that make up engineering, keep it under consideration...don't slap it away so quickly.

#40 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

too bad you don't like science, would be my suggestion... biology, biotech, depending on where you are, can lead to some awesome careers.

like what? I wanna make money :D (who doesn't?) but I don't want to attend college more than 4 years. I might could tough it out four years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users