Photo
- - - - -

So I'm 16 (almost 17) Junior in HS... trying to decide what to think about majoring in college

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Hotsauce

Hotsauce

Future Training Camp MVP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

too bad you don't like science, would be my suggestion... biology, biotech, depending on where you are, can lead to some awesome careers.

Posted Image

#42 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

either take courses at a community college and or the next 3 or 4 summers, intern in very diverse places. choose some internships that are out of your comfort zone. you want to have some depth and breadth to your knowledge base to go along with your degree. being able to handle various peoples attitudes and quirks and ups and downs will help you navigate through jobs.

also volunteer as much as you can and just assume you don't know more than anybody else and you will go far.

#43 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Above. I was thinking some advice would be nice from guys who know what this is all about and the outlook for certain fields. I'm obviously in no rush, I can switch majors once I get to college or do whatever it takes but I want to start really getting a few in mind.

Here's a little bit about me as a student: I'm a pretty smart guy, I'm easily in the top 10% of my high school class.... closer to top 5. I love sports and I love writing, so journalism has been something I've considered. However it's an awful field full of low paying jobs and very few really explode onto the scene. However I really enjoy that, so I'll continue to consider it regardless.

I can't stand science, I want nothing to do with a field that involves a lot of science so that crosses off a lot of jobs in the medical field and like engineering and stuff.

So what I'm really considering is something related to business. BUt what? What I've really thought about is accounting, that's a good field that offers many solid paying jobs and they are easy to find. But I've also considered something like economics, entrepreneurship, business administration, etc.

I have ton of time, but I love hearing advice from people who know more about some of these fields, so I'd love to hear some.

Ok, serious question

Are you paying for college or are your Parents paying for school?

If your Parents are paying for school ask them to give you 2 years time to go out and work a real job in the real world to help you decide on what you want to do.

Like an internship or something along those lines. do not go to work at a cookie cutter crap retail highschool job, I mean a real one put the effort in and you can find one. do that see how you like it and make an educated choice from there.

#44 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Having a business major is a joke these days in my opinion. It's almost to the point that it is a negative on a resume especially if it is from a below average college/university. Same with MBA. If you are an MBA from a top school then welcome to bank otherwise you are a dime a dozen.

Accounting is interesting. I worked in a big 4 firm for 6 years (not as an accountant) and the accountants get a ton of experience but work way too much and are basically box checkers. Accountants don't make a company run, they just make the numbers add up. It's a donkey job and keeps getting worse as regulations keep getting more complex. BUT it's a solid desk job and there is a ton of demand for accountants. And many accountants branch out into general business later.

You don't want to find yourself running an accounts payable department.

My advise would be to avoid locking yourself in for as long as possible and do something fun. Unless you are gunning for law school it will probably not matter that much what your major is.

Major in chicks and beer is my advice.

Accounting is so much more than tax and audit... Ever heard of GAAP? Well, operation people have no idea about GAAP and lot's of times accountants have to tell what they can and cannot do. Accountants also responsible for establishing internal controls and pretty much all internal investigations. Have to be smart about manipulating numbers so financial statements look better. I looked at pay rates for operation people and accountants and accountants make more money in general. Cool thing about accounting, you can use that degree to do almost anything. You can move to operation from accounting, you can become financial analyst or even an FBI agent while operations do not give you that flexibility. I was just like you when I went to college. After much research I decided to go with Accounting because of job security and paycheck.

#45 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• LocationSydney, Australia
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm still drunk but I'll help you out man in a little.

#46 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• LocationSydney, Australia
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Also science sucks man, I totally feel you. But all this "I wont earn money if I don't do sciences" that I think I read is silly talk bruv. YOu gotta do stuff you like man, it makes the world go round. Screw the paycheck, if you're good at what you do someone will surely pay you to do it. Also just marry a doctor, I know they are pro bably a bit weird but I'm sure there are hot ones, even if they are Asian, Asians can be very attractive more often than you think!!

But moral of the story is do what you like to do. People talk down on me for being a geography major at UNC lol because what do you do with geography? But you know I'll find something and I'll actually like it probably moreso than these doctors and politician ass people that think they're all smart for getting some hard ass degree.

Also you have a long time to think about it still, chances are you will change majors like 5 times in college because your preset major is a little silly and you didn't realize before hand how you weren't fit for it. So just calm down and take a deep breath and make sure you get as many young women as you can while still in high school. If you're a nerd, that's okay, cause nerds are totally a fad right now I think. Chicks dig a dude who knows his calculus and sh*t, trust me.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and as Jesus said to his many apostles, "Keep up the good work dude, you're a boss and you totally know it also f*ck bitches and get money". Amen.

#47 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hahaha thanks. Will do

I will say I am going to a 4 year University right after high school, pretty much forced on by my parents. Thanks for some of the other suggestions but they aren't even real possibilities

#48 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I also want to add if I don't have a fiancé or something when I graduate college I want to live in NYC for a few years. Experience different cultures and whatnot

#49 pantherfan82

pantherfan82

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationNORTH CAROLINA
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

You should look at careers in a couple of different ways. Look at the future demand for the job and the average salary for the job. And find something you will actually enjoy doing. You could also try a personality career test to help guide you. http://www.careertest.net/index.htm

#50 pantherfan82

pantherfan82

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationNORTH CAROLINA
HUDDLER

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Also look at the cost of school compared to what you can make doing the job. Don't borrow $150,000 for school to get a job that pays $25,000 a year. You'll be un debt forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users