Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restaurant discrimination against black customers

252 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

North Carolina survey...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2134200/Restaurant-racism-revealed-40-waiters-admit-discriminate-black-customers-dont-tip-well.html#ixzz1sxynu7M5

Most people would like to believe that racial discrimination is becoming increasingly rare and unacceptable in mainstream society.

But a new study suggests that African-Americans still face subtle prejudice in at least one area of life - dining out.

A survey of waiters in North Carolina revealed that nearly two-fifths admitted to treating customers differently depending on their race.

And as many as 90 per cent said they had participated in or overheard racially charged conversations among their co-workers.

Posted · Report post

hmm let me pull out my handy list of canned responses:

one time i ordered a pizza and it arrived 15 minutes late and the delivery driver was black so racism goes BOTH ways

i was once a waiter and i never discriminated so i question the results of this study

i don't blame them for altering their service depending upon their expectation of a tip. hey it's not racism it's just something called COMMON SENSE maybe you should try it sometime liberal

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

one time i ordered a pizza and it arrived 15 minutes late and the delivery driver was black so racism goes BOTH ways

i was once a waiter and i never discriminated so i question the results of this study

i don't blame them for altering their service depending upon their expectation of a tip. hey it's not racism it's just something called COMMON SENSE maybe you should try it sometime liberal

from the comment section of the Daily Fail:

z1Fcdc.jpg

Posted · Report post

Being proactive. I dig it.

fist.png

Posted · Report post

The waiters didn't make the Black's reputation the Blacks did.Another group waitesses dislike is church[White and Black] groups and for the same reason. They both tend to be demanding and poor tippers.There's nothing racists about it. It's just business and no one has any right to criticize them as resturants don't have to pay even minimum wage so their income depends on tips.In fact, the IRS figures their tips to be 8% of the bills they write so if you don't tip at least 8% it costs them money to wait on you.So what would you do in their position?

hmmm...should i organize and demand a living wage from my employer OR scapegoat an entire race?

Posted · Report post

heh, love those comments. "This isn't racism, black people just don't tip well!"

Posted · Report post

Where's sylvianlight? He will straighten this out.

Posted · Report post

Where's sylvianlight? He will straighten this out.

he's busy in the comments section of the article

Posted · Report post

who knew Peter North was such a bigot even after all those interracial scenes

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

So waitstaff treat blacks differently because of past experience, when they don't get tipped well they see this as conformation of past experience, never occurs to them that treating blacks differently effects tip...

K.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Natural discrimination as opposed to abusive discrimination there needs to be distinguished . One is illegal and the other is not. A teacher in a class will discriminate against certain types in their classroom without realising it.

- John, Wales, 24/4/2012 4:57

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2134200/Restaurant-racism-revealed-40-waiters-admit-discriminate-black-customers-dont-tip-well.html#ixzz2GbN7i3JJ

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

that's an awesome one... heh

Posted · Report post

middle-class african-american businessmen routinely tip 15-25% at my bar

kid rock concert comes to town, white boy trailer rats tip me 0-5%

it's almost like it has more to do with socio-economic brackets or something

3 people like this