Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restaurant discrimination against black customers

252 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah, it depends on the situation... there's a kid that works at the local Firehouse subs that ribs me about being a Panthers fan (he's a Titans fan) but he's cool about it and just joking around...

If he was a Pat/Saints/Dallas fan, it wouldn't be funny.

Had he just made a comment and then let it drop, it wouldn't have mattered. But he got annoying about it.

Posted

Same for me, especially if its a place I use frequently. They work just as hard as the waiter/waitress. And no point in giving them an excuse to tamper with the food. :)

I always tip extra well at the places that I frequent a lot. You would be surprised how often they remember good tippers....and you always get fantastic service.

Posted

I have a few points to make here.

1. Yes, it's pretty common knowledge in the industry that on average black folks tip less than white folks. It's also common knowledge that old women leaving church are going to be extremely annoying, and tip poorly. Same goes for 16 year olds eating at a nice restaurant before heading to prom. It's not a big deal, and if you treat any of them differently, you should be fired.

2. To you pieces of poo that don't tip well, you should stay home.

3. To whomever said what is the difference in a burger for 10$ and a steak dinner for 40$. You obviously have never been in the business, ever. You need to educate yourself, and more importantly tip on the amount at the bottom of the check, not what you think that you should pay.

4. I have worked for 3 different restaurants, and owned one. Many of you have no idea how hard it is to survive in the food industry, nor any idea how hard the wait and bar staff work to try to make you happy.

Posted

as far as bringing the food from the kitchen to my table there is no difference and that's just the fuging fact

Posted

as far as bringing the food from the kitchen to my table there is no difference and that's just the fuging fact

The only fact here, is that you don't know what you are talking about.

In "nicer" restaurants servers normally have to be at work far earlier than burger joints, for many reasons.

Most have to prep for the food service that night, lemons, chive, parsley, limes, salads, etc...all have to be made/prepared before you can start service that night. Many places also have servers help set up the line, and clean the place again before customers get there.

Let's also add in that clothing for nicer restaurants is more expensive, and normally has to be provided by the server.

I could go on, and on, but it won't matter. If you have decided to be a cheap ass, then nothing I say will change that.

Posted

aaaand once again nothing you said refutes my point

thanks for playing

Posted

Easy Fuzz you will send ripples in their projected realities.

Posted

thanks for playing

What? A servers job is not to merely take food to and from the kitchen to customers, in fact in nicer restaurants they have another person on staff for that job...a food runner.

You are too uneducated to even comprehend what I am trying to point out to you.

A job slinging burgers, and a job waiting tables at the Chop House are two completely different jobs, and require a huge difference in skill set and work ethic.

But nope, to you beef is beef, and beer is beer.

Get your head out of your ass.

Posted

The minimum a patron should tip when dining out and receiving good service is %18. Now I've always tipped at least %18 on the full total, though I hear you should tip on the pre-tax total. The pre-tax thing makes sense actually, because when a server adds gratuity, they add it to the pre-tax total.

If you have a take-out order from a restaurant, you don't really have to tip, but if the hostess or whoever is nice and bagged the food up and everything I will leave a couple of dollars tip.

I worked in the service industry throughout college and then after, starting at bussing tables to waiting to bartending.

As far as the discrimination thing goes, like others have said, I think it boils down to more of a socio-economic thing. Of course with all stereotypes, there is some truth there but it goes both ways. BTW the best tip I ever got was from a young black couple.

Posted

last time job responsibilities were brought up around here i heard a lot of "you took the job you knew what you were getting into deal with it or quit"

strangely, this doesn't seem to apply to servers

Posted

thanks for playing

you see mr. zula, you just need to be educated

Posted

What? A servers job is not to merely take food to and from the kitchen to customers, in fact in nicer restaurants they have another person on staff for that job...a food runner.

A job slinging burgers, and a job waiting tables at the Chop House are two completely different jobs, and require a huge difference in skill set and work ethic.

But nope, to you beef is beef, and beer is beer.

Get your head out of your ass.

Fuzz Ruths Chris and McDonalds are the same fuging place! Just different seats and one doesn't have a drive through.