Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restaurant discrimination against black customers

252 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TbTeRRoR' timestamp='1356959868' post='2069669']
So its black people racist against black people?
[/quote]

uh... yes? why is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

or are you trying desperately to point out that some black people are prejudiced too and therefore making excuses for, oh, i don't know, [i]someone [/i]you know being vocally prejudiced against black people in restaurants?

Posted · Report post

I've worked as a delivery driver before and I can tell you first hand that roughly 80-90% of black people will tip you nothing or $1 or less, no matter how large the order. I remember one day in particular where I had 4 deliveries in a row to black people, every single order was at least $30. It was an off time so they all received their food very quickly, around 30 minutes or less from the time they ordered. Total $140 for all 4 orders combined. I didn't make a single dollar as a tip.

You'd get orders of something like $39.87 and they answer the door with $40 in their hands already. Literally zero chance you get a tip, no matter how nice or friendly you are, or how fast you get there. I had to pay costs of gas and vehicle expenses also so I would lose money in these instances. And the rare chances you do get a tip from a black person it is almost always still very low when compared to non-blacks. To get 15-20% from a black person was very very very very VERY rare, like 1 in a 100. These were my experiences at least.

There were discussions back at the store from time to time and from what I heard this was pretty much universal. Our black drivers, same thing. The one pretty chick we had as a driver, same thing. An older gentlemen that was super overly friendly and nice almost annoyingly so, same thing. It didn't matter.

Of course there were exceptions, I still remember this one black family that was very friendly and nice and tipped very very well, but the overall trend was very consistent.

Posted · Report post

Also I want to add that the income level didn't make any difference for the most part in the overall trend. Although the majority of people in the bad low income areas would be black on the occasions they happened to be non-black they would still tip decently (usually not great like a better middle class area but normally 15% or there about). And then there'd be occasions where I delivered to very nice area but if the person was black still no tip or very low.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='R0CKnR0LLA' timestamp='1356968387' post='2069852']
I've worked as a delivery driver before and I can tell you first hand that roughly 80-90% of black people will tip you nothing or $1 or less, no matter how large the order. I remember one day in particular where I had 4 deliveries in a row to black people, every single order was at least $30. It was an off time so they all received their food very quickly, around 30 minutes or less from the time they ordered. Total $140 for all 4 orders combined. I didn't make a single dollar as a tip.

You'd get orders of something like $39.87 and they answer the door with $40 in their hands already. Literally zero chance you get a tip, no matter how nice or friendly you are, or how fast you get there. I had to pay costs of gas and vehicle expenses also so I would lose money in these instances. And the rare chances you do get a tip from a black person it is almost always still very low when compared to non-blacks. To get 15-20% from a black person was very very very very VERY rare, like 1 in a 100. These were my experiences at least.

There were discussions back at the store from time to time and from what I heard this was pretty much universal. Our black drivers, same thing. The one pretty chick we had as a driver, same thing. An older gentlemen that was super overly friendly and nice almost annoyingly so, same thing. It didn't matter.

Of course there were exceptions, I still remember this one black family that was very friendly and nice and tipped very very well, but the overall trend was very consistent.
[/quote]

I delivered dominoes for a while. If you got sent into a black neighborhood the dispatch would make sure to send you to the Peninsula club next run. You just expected no tip. Yes it could be socio-economic.

Also Jeff Gordon tipped me like $1.75 and was a jerk but Rusty Wallace was cool and gave me like $5.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1356968310' post='2069850']
uh... yes? why is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

or are you trying desperately to point out that some black people are prejudiced too and therefore making excuses for, oh, i don't know, [i]someone [/i]you know being vocally prejudiced against black people in restaurants?
[/quote]

No just saying even black people know that black people don't tip well.

I don't think they should get treated any differently. In fact my wife told me she tries to be MORE helpful for them. SHE WANTS SOME MOOLA and wont' waste the opportunity even if she goes in knowing she's likely to not get nothing. Its all common sense. She's pretty pissed equally when she serves a large crowd or high bill table and gets squat for a tip no matter who does the cheap skating.

Is that to much for you to comprehend? .

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TbTeRRoR' timestamp='1356970177' post='2069943']

No just saying even black people know that black people don't tip well.

I don't think they should get treated any differently. In fact my wife told me she tries to be MORE helpful for them. SHE WANTS SOME MOOLA and wont' waste the opportunity even if she goes in knowing she's likely to not get nothing. Its all common sense. She's pretty pissed equally when she serves a large crowd or high bill table and gets squat for a tip no matter who does the cheap skating.
[/quote]

it's just interesting to me that the first thing you did was try to point out that some black people are prejudiced too, as though to justify white people being prejudiced. which sadly falls perfectly into lockstep with some of the other sentiments you've expressed in other threads.

it would do you well to study the correlation between race and socio-economic status. yes, black people tend to tip less, just like - [i]shockingly [/i]- people at the bottom rung of the socio-economic scale tend to tip less. you do the math.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1356970440' post='2069958']

it would do you well to study the correlation between race and socio-economic status. yes, black people tend to tip less, just like - [i]shockingly [/i]- people at the bottom rung of the socio-economic scale tend to tip less. you do the math.
[/quote]

Both can be predictive variables. The question is which has a higher correlation. In my experience it was race by far.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1356970440' post='2069958']

it's just interesting to me that the first thing you did was try to point out that some black people are prejudiced too, as though to justify white people being prejudiced. which sadly falls perfectly into lockstep with some of the other sentiments you've expressed in other threads.

[/quote]

As someone who both served and bartended, I can say blacks definitely tip considerably lower that other groups no matter what kind of service is provided.
I never discriminated based on the color of people's skin however I let the way they conducted themselves towards me decide the service they would get, to me even worse than the non tipping factor is the vast majority of blacks would be disrespectful obnoxious and rude compared to other groups, I could always deal with a low tip if I knew that they probably needed the money more than I do.

There are always exceptions as in anything there were several regulars who were respectful and tipped well, but I would say at least 80% tip poorly and at least 60% were rude and disrespectful reguardless of the level of service.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SuperMan' timestamp='1356971524' post='2070040']
As someone who both served and bartended, I can say blacks definitely tip considerably lower that other groups no matter what kind of service is provided.[/quote]

ALL blacks tipped considerably lower?

did ALL whites tip considerably higher?

you're making sweeping generalizations and ignoring the imbalance of one race versus the other in lower socio-economic brackets (a point which exactly zero members of the blacks-dont-tip squad have yet to actually address.)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Happy Panther' timestamp='1356971489' post='2070036']

Both can be predictive variables. The question is which has a higher correlation. In my experience it was race by far.
[/quote]

how does the culture of poverty fit into your quotient

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1356971876' post='2070052']

how does the culture of poverty fit into your quotient
[/quote]

Quotient? Not sure where a quotient is.

But a regression analysis would correct for a culture of poverty in determining predictive variables.

Posted · Report post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194797/Burlington-Vermont-restaurants-automatically-adds-tip-foreigners-bills.html

French Canadians are also bad tippers apparently